British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-02-21, 09:53 AM

Default Tanks

Morning all

My Tankie collection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1FA73970-DDA1-4CB0-92ED-95F6C3FE8495.jpg (111.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 08-02-21, 03:30 PM

Many thanks for reply I’m just going by his records as he was in TC when he got released in 1920.
I thought a bit odd just surprising the forces war records do not have this record or number. The number you gave for MGC is scribbled out on the record I have and the TC number still valid after his 2830 number.
I thought weird as well TC on that date as like you say came in a few months later, wondering if he had transferred and in training with MGC until TC formed could that be a possibility.
Old 09-02-21, 08:17 AM

Indeed, but, I would have thought everything extant in WO364 was actually written after the 28th of July 1917 and too much credence is being placed upon it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
The Tank Corps didn't exist on 9/2/1917. It was formed on 28th July 1917 from the Heavy Branch, Machine Gun Corps.
Old 09-02-21, 08:36 AM

There is no available Military History Sheet or Statement of Service in WO364, which is certainly not odd or surprising, neither WO363 or WO364 have ever been released to the public because of their condition, so only the film and digital folio are available.
The MGC number is crossed through, I would have thought, simply because of the date that particular sheet you are looking at was written, he may well have served within the Heavy Branch of the MGC and have been a founder member of the Tank Corps.
I would go with Enlistment into the Sherwood Rangers, actual service with them and the 4th Reserve Cavalry Regiment, transfer into the MGC and from there, transfer into the TC until discharge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave67 View Post
Many thanks for reply I’m just going by his records as he was in TC when he got released in 1920.
I thought a bit odd just surprising the forces war records do not have this record or number. The number you gave for MGC is scribbled out on the record I have and the TC number still valid after his 2830 number.
I thought weird as well TC on that date as like you say came in a few months later, wondering if he had transferred and in training with MGC until TC formed could that be a possibility.
Old 10-02-21, 03:42 PM

Cap badges worn by Colour Sergeant Thomas Hogan, an old sweat and a founder member of the Tank Corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave67 View Post
Does anyone have 100% original TC badge they can post. I have seen so many variants especially ones with three holes above corps scroll and others with two.

Sliders depending on manufacturer could be on tank scroll or crown from what I can workout at the minute.

Also below crown hole or no hole.

I’m trying to get 100% original to add to my research on my great grandad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030586.jpg (61.7 KB, 46 views)