British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-01-10, 12:26 AM

Default Artillery Badges - Officer's?

Believe these are artillery collars, a couple different varieties - perhaps Officer? The matching Pair is marked Scully Montreal and are solidly made, maybe copper?? Assistance appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arty1.jpg (68.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg arty2.jpg (91.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg arty3.jpg (51.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg arty4.jpg (47.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 12-01-10, 03:33 AM

The bronze 10 flame pair would be Royal Canadian Engineers officers'. Nice set. Looks like a couple of the others might be Royal Marines?
Old 12-01-10, 11:12 AM

OK so it seems I was entirely wrong suggesting artillery. Would the RCE collars be WW2 vintage? Wasn't aware RM wore this type of collar also..appreciate the input doug...
Old 12-01-10, 02:17 PM
Former Member

Doug,
Artillery and Engineer collars are very similar. The Eng ones have two/three small flames to the front, both have the motto Ubique (Everywhere) to the base scroll. The two with Per Mare Per Terram (By Land By Sea) I assume are Royal Marine Artillery (no flames to front) and the Marines motto. RM Arty and RM Lt Infantry merged into the Royal Marines in 1923. Your Marine Arty (I assume they are that as I am not a collar collector) are therefore pre 1923 and quite collectable. The Arty collars are quite common and were worn in the side hat and beret as a smaller option to the Gun badge. RE Officers wore/wear an embroidered bullion badge.

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 12-01-10 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-01-10, 02:59 PM

By a quirk of fate I have today taken a photograph of a ten flamed grenade (pair) being worn on a Royal Regiment of Artillery Lts cuff rank SD Tunic, he was promoted from the Ranks and served in Gallipoli and Mesopotamia. They have been there all the time with a photograph of the officer wearing the complete uniform showing them.
Old 12-01-10, 04:28 PM

Royal Engineer collar badges/Grenades have NINE flames-7 to the rear and 2 at the front and of course the scroll reads UBIQUE. But in the case of the Tyne Engineers(72 Engr Regt) the scroll reads TYNE.
Isn't there a thread that says the Indian Engrs had 10 flames??

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)