British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-07-13, 12:55 AM

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forum_rules.htm
Why damage your reputation by not being upfront?
Old 25-07-13, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Paul

If you wish to use the forum knowledge to sell on auction sites then you must be upfront and honest about it. Your actions on asking for comment and then listing them at some very high prices are not open and could be viewed as underhand.

Alan
Hi Alan,

Thank you for pointing this out. I have not intentionally mislead anybody here. I was trying just to identify a couple of the badges, and now having read through the rules I can see that I should have mentioned that these would be offered for sale up front So that is a failing on my part which will not be repeated. I do apologise unreservedly if I have caused offence to anybody on the forum in this case.

I did not really want to discuss the commercial aspects of these items, but I would like to point the prices are all offer based, and that postal rates for international signed for items are unfortunately set by the post office.

Kindest Regards

Paul
Old 25-07-13, 08:35 PM

I came across the East Yorkshire badge this morning thanks to a saved search.

At £25 it hasn't gone on my watch list.

Take the badge out of the collection and it's just another badge, not sure if the providence makes it worth 2-3 times the real value.

If you're confident of the providence and the true value, then you might want to consider the auction option?

Disappointed, as I did used to buy a bit from you.

Cheers,

Andy C
Old 25-07-13, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC_65 View Post
I came across the East Yorkshire badge this morning thanks to a saved search.

At £25 it hasn't gone on my watch list.

Take the badge out of the collection and it's just another badge, not sure if the providence makes it worth 2-3 times the real value.

If you're confident of the providence and the true value, then you might want to consider the auction option?

Disappointed, as I did used to buy a bit from you.

Cheers,

Andy C
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the feedback. As I mentioned earlier these all are open to offer, its really difficult to pitch where the price should be for some of these. If I get a couple of offers coming in at 40% - 60% of the stated price then I have been accepting these. I will at some point switch any remainder over to auction, and a few of the rarer ones will go straight to auction.

If people offer what they think they are worth then likelihood is I will accept if I get a couple of offers around the same price, even if its much lower the stated price. I am trying to be fair where the price is obviously gone in higher than it should have perhaps done so.

Kindest Regards

Paul
Old 25-07-13, 10:14 PM

Hi Paul.
Private message sent.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 26-07-13, 03:36 AM

Paul
Notwithstanding that you unknowingly or unwittingly asked for information from the forum without stating that the items were for sale and received an admonishment for doing so, I actually found the 'offer' system quite refreshing. As you know I was able to secure a couple of badges from you at what I considered the market rate and I paid little heed to what your sale price was in making my offer.

What was great for me was that there was not a sniper in sight. Who are these people that have time to sit at their computer all day, watching the clock tick down so that they can make their bid at the last millisecond. Of course I have also sniped (if you can't beat em join em), but I always do it with some unease and a feeling that this is not how the system should work.

I'm not sure how a fairer system would work, but I certainly found nothing amiss in making you an offer even if the asking price was perhaps unrealistic.

Best regards
Dubaiguy

Last edited by dubaiguy; 26-07-13 at 03:56 AM.
Old 26-07-13, 08:22 AM
Former Member

Perhaps Paul made an error in neglecting to mention that his badges would end up being for sale? I know it is in the rules, but my theory with rules in general are that they are there for the compliance of the foolish and for the guidance of the wise!

If Forum members end up with a few choice items, then no harm done?

What I find refreshing is a novice badge seller is at least doing his home work and IMO that is one of the many purposes of this Forum, if you have a problem helping someone sell genuine items then stay on the fence!

I have always tried to help as many buyers, sellers and collectors as I can...... A while ago a complete novice sought guidance via the Forums pages only to be berated for daring to offer reproduction items for sale!

Following some free and friendly advice via PM that inquirer returned the favour "Big Time" and thanks to him in no small measure SMM was created!

So my advice would be if you are happy to share what you know for the overall benefit of others or even their financial gain good on you! If you want to join the Grumpy Old Fart gang then that is your choice too, it is great living in a free society! And sometimes the Good Deed can be returned!

Andy
Old 26-07-13, 09:01 AM

Fellow Canadians - please take note.

Shipping form the UK to Canada using tracked and insured Royal Mail airsure services for any small parcel with contents valued at over £20 starts at £8.90.

So the £9.50 shipping asked on this occasion is not unreasonable.

Andy - well said. Stop ganging up on people.
Old 26-07-13, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Mascot View Post
Fellow Canadians - please take note.

Shipping form the UK to Canada using tracked and insured Royal Mail airsure services for any small parcel with contents valued at over £20 starts at £8.90.

So the £9.50 shipping asked on this occasion is not unreasonable.

Andy - well said. Stop ganging up on people.
I am in Canada and I have been receiving signed for packages from the UK at no more than £3.50 - £4.00.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 26-07-13, 01:08 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
I am in Canada and I have been receiving signed for packages from the UK at no more than £3.50 - £4.00.

Phil
Phil,
They won't be Royal Mail Signed for services, follow the link on the FAQs on Sell My Militaria for the current charges

Andy
Old 26-07-13, 04:36 PM

May well have been a mistake- but as a grumpy middle aged fart if there are terms and conditions or rules to follow I play by he book. If I wish to comment on something I make my comment- I don't consider that ganging up on someone. If other posters feel the same that just how it is. I don't mind how Paul conducts his auctions that's up to him and I'm sure he will state If he intends to sell items he posts about in the future.
This was a rule introduced not too long ago, and most now clearly state if they are thinking of moving on an item they are posting about- only takes a few words. Cheers, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 27-07-13 at 03:21 PM.
Old 29-07-13, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I will quite happily buy it from you.

There were a couple of offers to buy as the thread progressed, but no mention that they would be up for sale. Should have been up front and maybe saved some listing fees!
Old 01-08-13, 12:23 PM

Fair play to Paul for putting some up as Auction format & accepting offers (refreshing to see - thank you).

I'm struggling to see why this East Yorks Yeomanry Collar badge (Paul - not a cap badge - they face the other way) has so much interest?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/East-Ridin...item5d420e9ff5

cheers,

Andy C