British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-01-10, 06:08 PM

Default Victorian Helmet Plate Backing - Only Smaller?

Would anyone have any idea what sort of backing plate this would be? I know virtually nothing about helmet plates, but to the best of my knowledge this is much smaller.
It measures 55mm horizontally and 75mm vertically. There is a small rectangular hole in the middle and two more holes the same size about 24mm apart, and has three screw post fittings
It has been in the family for a long time, and my father can remember it being in the house they moved into in 1950, having been left there by the previous occupant.
It is probably for something other than a helmet, perhaps a belt or something.
I would be interested to know if anyone could I/D what it may be, and if there could be some sort of centre for it, as it would be nice to pair it up with something after all this time.

Thanks in advance

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (99.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (100.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (99.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 17-01-10, 06:43 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi John,

I'm not saying too much, I made a plonker of myself the last time I jumped in but I will start the ball rolling by saying it is similar to a Quilted Shako back plate ?????????????????????/

Regards.

Dave.
Old 17-01-10, 07:10 PM

With out being able to say for sure ( untill I do a bit more digging ),I a have a feeling that this smaller helmet plate back plate was associated with a medical unit and in fact i think there has been a thread on here before.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 17-01-10, 07:59 PM

A look through a number of Bosleys catalogues suggests that this might have been the backplate for a number of helmet plates.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 17-01-10, 09:36 PM

Default QVC badge

I think this could well be a crossbelt plate by the three screws on the reverse.
Old 18-01-10, 05:01 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faugh-A-Ballagh View Post
Would anyone have any idea what sort of backing plate this would be? I know virtually nothing about helmet plates, but to the best of my knowledge this is much smaller.
It measures 55mm horizontally and 75mm vertically. There is a small rectangular hole in the middle and two more holes the same size about 24mm apart, and has three screw post fittings
It has been in the family for a long time, and my father can remember it being in the house they moved into in 1950, having been left there by the previous occupant.
It is probably for something other than a helmet, perhaps a belt or something.
I would be interested to know if anyone could I/D what it may be, and if there could be some sort of centre for it, as it would be nice to pair it up with something after all this time.

Thanks in advance

John
John,
I have a quilted shako HP to the 83rd foot somewhere. They are much smaller than the other HP's - in general. Will measure it and let you know when I get back to Lux this week.
I also recall that there was a general pattern type of backplate for the officers on which the regimental device would have been attached - there is certainly a quality of finish to yours to suggest that this is one of them.
I did have a couple of officers ones some years ago and one of them was damaged and I had to get the centre device removed. Yours looks like this one. Therefore I would tend to go for it being a HP rather than a CBP.
david
Old 18-01-10, 07:48 AM

This badge backing appears to be the same size as the Victorian Mounted Rifles (Natal, South Africa) pouch badge worn in the 1870's. Regards Andrew
Old 18-01-10, 09:47 AM

Default Bandsmans I think

Hi all. Can I add my "tuppence worth" ?
I think it is a bandsmans pouch badge. The three srcew fixings at the back indicate this, and the oblong slots on the face would seem to accomodate a silver harp similar to this one. Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM6664.jpg (39.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 18-01-10, 10:46 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc William View Post
I think it is a bandsmans pouch badge. The three srcew fixings at the back indicate this, and the oblong slots on the face would seem to accomodate a silver harp similar to this one. Jeff
You could be right Jeff. I have never owned a bandmans version and the pics I did take of mine have long gone - the usual lost during the many house moves etc.
Old 18-01-10, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc William View Post
It looks as though Jeff is the closest so far, have you a photo of the reverse of the one you have shown Jeff?

Dave.
Old 18-01-10, 01:45 PM

Sorry Dave. No, I don't have the back view. I don't have the badge either ! I downloaded the picture from another site some time ago, so cannot confirm the size etc., (so it could be the much smaller cap badge). But one other "give-away" on John's badge was the "faceted" star rays which (apart from the Regency period) were not used again on the backing plates for British Army Shakos. Jeff
Old 18-01-10, 01:56 PM

Jeff,
Definitely looks promising! Pity you no longer have the badge. Would be interesting to see what it would look like dismantled.
Keep the posts coming. There may even be a spare centre out there somewhere!

John
Old 18-01-10, 02:13 PM

Cheers Jeff,

No worries, I bet someone can continue your observations !!

John,

It's nice and if I had a centre to fit, it would be on it's way, I hope someone has one just to make it a whole badge again, so good luck with the quest !

Regards.

Dave.