British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-01-10, 12:45 AM

Default CABER FEIDH - 1916 - ??UNIT??

Any help would be appreciated. There is a 1916 date stamp on the reverse right side. Appear to be early lugs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caber1.jpg (50.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg caber2.jpg (49.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 10-01-10, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

78th Pictou Highlanders collar if it is Canadian.
Old 10-01-10, 05:22 PM

Hi Guys
Wasn't this also worn by the Seaforth Highlanders in tandem with the elephant? I seem to remember something about this and they wore 2 collars.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 10-01-10, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Alex. Being harresons-mil is in Canada, I thought that it was possible that it was for the Pictou Highlanders. They were affiliated with the imperial Seaforths and used some of the insignia. The collar design was one of the badges. However, a lot of British badges show up here.
The collar may very well be for the imperial Seaforths, and I am not sure how to distinguish the two from each other. With three lugs it certainly dates earlier than the SWW era badges.
Old 10-01-10, 08:56 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Gents.

The Seaforth Highlanders it is, if I've read Colin Churchill correctly, the F was for the old 72nd ( HRH Frederick, the late Duke of York ) and the elephant for the old 78th and sealed 16th June 1882 etc, etc, etc.

Regards,

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1g 039.jpg (66.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 1g.jpg (48.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by davec2; 10-01-10 at 10:22 PM. Reason: wrong photo of collars
Old 11-01-10, 05:09 PM

Default Your reference material

thanks indeed, appreciate you finding the reference.
Old 12-01-10, 01:55 PM

Hello,
Looking at the Lugs on the badge, I would go for a Canadian badge. The Seaforth collars I have all have a differnet patern of lug on them. From the front the badge is a very good match for the Scottish version, though.
As Collar badges were not on general issue to most British troops in the Great War, and your badge is dated, I tend to belive that this is also an indication of it being Canadian.
All the best.
Old 12-01-10, 02:24 PM
Former Member

Lugs Deffo look Canadian to me! Can't see from angle of rear photo, but check for a makers name "CARON" or "BIRKS" poss either under the lug or on the oposite tail of the base scroll! From the front they could (IMO) be British or Canadian but from the rear more likely Canadian (lug style)!

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 12-01-10 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-01-10, 04:50 PM

OOPS

Sorry ' harresons - mil ', not the first time I've been wrong !!

Dave.
Old 12-01-10, 08:30 PM

couldn't find any other maker marks, other than the 1916 date. They are flat lugs which I have seen on most early pattern Canadian WW1 badges
Old 12-01-10, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Is that 1910 or 1916? The unit was designated the 78th Regiment, The Pictou Highlanders on March 1, 1910. That would be consistent with badges ordered for a new designation as far as the date is concerned.
Very few badges were acquired for Canadian militia units during the First World War, with the resources being allocated to the CEF.
Old 12-01-10, 09:15 PM

I was told recently and I'm only replying because I don't know but the lugs shown or similar, are also used on Scottish badges...........

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1g 042.jpg (89.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-01-10, 09:39 PM

Bill, the innerside of the scroll disects the last number making it look like a 6, but upon further inspection you may be correct as it looks like a 0 - so perhaps a 1910 pattern canadian I take it
Old 14-01-10, 03:34 PM

Hello Dave,
You are right that there are some Scottish badges from the Great War period which have the same type of lug on the reverse. I am sure I read that it was thought probable that these were made in Canada for Scottish units, or it could have been a War Economy messure on badges made in the UK, with lugs sent from Canada.
However, Collar Badges were not often worn by O/R's in Scottish units in WW1. They never wore them on Service Dress [Well, very, very rarely, however collar badges were worn on service dress after the war] and their Scarlet Uniforms had been returned to stores, so were not often seen worn during the war. Therefore I think it is very unlikely that many collar badges were made for them during the war.
With what appears to be a 1916 date and Canadian looking lugs on a badge, and the fact that the Canadians seem to have worn collar badges during this period, I tend to think it is a Canadian badge.
All the best
Old 14-01-10, 03:41 PM

Thanks Ypres,

I'm always willing to learn and that was as good an explanation as any I'm likely to be offered, your point is taken and understood, just another example of how confusing this hobby can be..........especially when you're new to it and over sixty.....................it can be hard work.

Again thanks.

Dave.