British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-03-21, 12:41 PM

Default Named badges?

Hi All

Not sure if this topic has been discussed before.

Last week I acquired a framed British Para beret badge with a Guards Ribbon Backing. What I did not realize at first but only discovered on closer scrutiny after removing it from the frame that the slider had an initial and name faintly but neatly stamped on it, W BLAKE .

Are named badges common and would it affect it value in any way?

Regards
Brian
Old 09-03-21, 01:44 PM

Not common in my experience and offer research potential if of Great War vintage less so WW2 simply because service records are not yet available online.
Old 09-03-21, 03:33 PM

(Apart from the great artist and poet)
I also have a number of badges with initials and a few with service numbers mostly from the 1920s onwards. But as noted, there are no accessible records. I did look up service numbers in regimental lists of the fallen (of, in my case, King's) but didn't find any matches.
Old 09-03-21, 03:38 PM

Cool Named sliders

I had a bi-metal Bedfordshire Regt cap badge with a named slider, I offered it on the forum and it was bought by a forum member, who kindly researched the name for me and offered it back as I had other badges associated with the man.

A rare occurrence maybe, but any knowledge is good knowledge and having badges related to a person creates more interest IMO.

Rob

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 09-03-21 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-03-21, 07:09 PM

Yes, I have had at least one cap badge on a WW1 "hate belt" that had initials crudely scratched on the slider.

Probably not a widely practised effort but an "anti-nicking" attempt anyway...
Old 09-03-21, 10:37 PM

I'm sure this guy should be fairly easy to find. Doubt there were many with those initials in the....hold on.....
Old 10-03-21, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojob123 View Post
I'm sure this guy should be fairly easy to find. Doubt there were many with those initials in the....hold on.....
Reminds me of my old colour sergeant, he'd wander around the barrack rooms picking up bits of kit like knives, forks, boot brushes that were laying around in a provocative manner and when timorously challenged would give an evil grin and say "It's mine, it's got my sign on it" and point to the WD crows foot stamped on it.
Old 10-03-21, 07:57 AM

I don't think it is something you are ever going to encounter a great deal of to be honest, generally speaking as long as the particular badge in question is original and the naming is contemporary and you are paying for the badge without the price being in any way loaded, I think you should be okay.
I would be aware of the recent spate of badges with numbered sliders though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Hi All

Not sure if this topic has been discussed before.

Last week I acquired a framed British Para beret badge with a Guards Ribbon Backing. What I did not realize at first but only discovered on closer scrutiny after removing it from the frame that the slider had an initial and name faintly but neatly stamped on it, W BLAKE .

Are named badges common and would it affect it value in any way?

Regards
Brian
Old 11-03-21, 05:58 AM

I have a few with numbered sliders and I have been able to trace the original owner of one who turned out to have been a POW in the Far East during WWII, so it definitely enhances the history. Always worth checking the numbers and names against the War Graves Commission lists and the POW lists.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 11-03-21, 08:03 AM

Unless the A O C is for Army Ordnance Corps - which the badge is . . .
Old 12-03-21, 09:20 AM

Thanks guys for the input, this is only my second named badge.

The first was an incredible reunite with a group of medals I have. I first bought the medals and about 3 years later I found a SA North African era formation flash that had clip on studs sewn onto it for easy removal. Lo and behold the name and number were written on the rear of the flash of the chap who's medals I had in my collection, rather freaky feeling to find it after such a break in time!
Old 13-03-21, 05:48 AM

That's a fantastic reunite!