British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-09-08, 11:32 PM

Default Firmin In Administration

Hi Guys,

Maybe this is the reason they have not been answering my requests for information...

http://www.birminghampost.net/birmin...5233-17090478/

http://www.birminghampost.net/birmin...5233-17228209/

Regards

Chris
Old 03-09-08, 03:36 AM

329 years old? Is that right? If so it's an amazing record!
Old 03-09-08, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Pity they hadn't been a bank, they would of had as much help as necessary provided by the government at the taxpayers expense ......Manufacturing?...no chance.
Old 03-09-08, 07:58 AM

Is it likely that manufacturing will now go 'off-shore'? Or the end of a tradition?
Regards-Max.
Old 03-09-08, 08:26 AM

How typical of this country and its priorities. Birmingham and London was once full of manufacturers of insignia, buttons and badges, most since gone to the wall. Almost all of our uniforms are now made in China and we are about to go to off-the-peg SD uniforms for officers comprising only 2 'patterns' and 2 'cloths'. It is truly the end of an era and very sad.
Old 03-09-08, 08:27 AM
David Douglas

Default Firmin etc.

I don't think the reports have been read fully - Firmin has been bought by Kashket, also a UK manufacturing company and the work will stay in Birmingham. Kashket are market leaders and will actually ensure not only Firmin's future, but its expansion into other garment manufacturing. Please also remember that the majority of badges and buttons today are produced by London Badge and Button Company and Fattorinis through a vast network of sub-contractors. Firmins are now quite small in the military badge and button market. So - I doubt existing UK work will go off-shore at all - thanks to the Kashket rescue. Regards. David
Old 03-09-08, 08:35 AM
David Douglas

Default Firmin etc.

Toby - You are quite wrong here ! There is a directory full of military outfitters who will gladly undertake bespoke tailoring for officers - as they always have. The officers' clothing allowance is not being scrapped so the individual can opt for either off-the-peg (in lieu of allowance) or use the allowance towards private purchase - as always. Regards. David
Old 03-09-08, 09:42 AM

David, sorry but Toby is right on this one. The British army is currently carrying out trials of an "All Ranks" pattern khaki service dress uniform which will be ISSUED to officers - no more tailor made SD uniforms. The new uniform was due for issue April 2008, there has been some slippage in the deadlines, latest I heard was issue to start October 2008.
You will be pleased to learn that officer pattern insignia is still to be produced and worn !

Paul
OC14
Old 03-09-08, 10:20 AM
David Douglas

Default Firmin etc.

oc14 - If you believe for one moment that officers of certain regiments - The Household Cavalry - The Guards - will accept a 'one standard' of service dress than I doubt you understand the essence of the officer class within the British Army. Operations - yes ! training - yes ! But elsewhere - I doubt it ! OK - it hasn't happened yet - why don't we wait and see when (or if) it does ? I don't mean to be difficult but I know the power of the officer class - even in the 21st century. Regards. David
Old 03-09-08, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

David,

The proposal is that the uniform allowance will be reduced to pay for private purchase mess kit only. SD for all ranks in all regts will be issued. What the Household Div will do is speculative but they will be paying for it themselves.

Alan
Old 03-09-08, 01:15 PM

I think it is more of just a name change, in badge collecting terms, the Firmin set up in Birmingham will probably continue and after googling Kashket, they are now headquarted at Firmin house.
And let's face it firmin have been owned by the far east for years, so apart from Firmin marked goods being discontinued (and hopefully old stock hitting the market) not much is really going to change - Same horse, different jockey.
STM.

Last edited by Saddle tree maker; 03-09-08 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-09-08, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
How typical of this country and its priorities. Birmingham and London was once full of manufacturers of insignia, buttons and badges, most since gone to the wall. Almost all of our uniforms are now made in China and we are about to go to off-the-peg SD uniforms for officers comprising only 2 'patterns' and 2 'cloths'. It is truly the end of an era and very sad.
Not just Typical of the UK. The same thing has happened here in the US. The whole notion what countries are and their identity as expressed through material goods or National services etc. is over. The "British Army" as it was once known is now gone. Perhaps a better title would be Euro Armed Services (UK) or something.

CB
Old 03-09-08, 04:02 PM
David Douglas

Default Firmin etc.

Alan - I think you have endorsed my point. Any officer who chooses private purchase will be at liberty to do so - as always. This will not stop with the Household Division - the exercise is a flop before it gets underway - and it's not yet underway. Regards. David
Old 03-09-08, 04:04 PM
David Douglas

Default Firmin etc.

CB - Anyone who has served under Colours in the British Army (or other services) will tell you quite firmly - the British Army will always be the British Army - full stop ! Kind (and sympathetic) regards to the colonies. David
Old 03-09-08, 04:52 PM

Issues of the new All Ranks Service Dress (Army No2 Dress) have already begun. The style is that of the 1918 pattern Officers SD, with Rifle Cuffs, and patch pockets with pleats on the breast pockets. Also Barrack Dress trousers and a skirt are to be reintroduced in the same Khaki colour. The last I read was that the only difference in the All Ranks SD will be the front of the Jacket for the Scottish Regiment.

Before you ask it will probably be optional as to if you wear the trousers or the skirt in Bk Dress.

And now of course this is one of those threads that wonders of the topic.