British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-07-12, 01:46 AM

Default War 1812 Bicentennial Pin

This is the War 1812 Bicentennial Pin that is to be worn on the DEU uniform.

Old 25-07-12, 02:06 AM

Ugly as Hell and, as I am told, universally disliked. Further, we couldn't produce these in Canada?
This was DND's promise to recognize Canada's contribution to the War of 1812 in lieu of Battle Honours for units that perpetuate (in an informal sense) units raised in Canada at the time.
I am led to believe that the PM's office was unhappy and has forced DND to review the issue of Battle Honours. I expect an announcement in August.
Old 25-07-12, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Truly, another example of short sightedness. A major Canadian anniversary commemorated by a lapel pin? Adds relevance to the old "Cracker Jacks" comments.
Old 25-07-12, 04:43 PM

Don't get me started on this one...
If we can commemorate The War of 1812 with a pin on our uniforms, why didn't we get one for the 250th anniversary of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham? They were both pre-Confederation.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 25-07-12 at 08:24 PM.
Old 25-07-12, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
Don't get me started on this one...
If we can commemorate The War of 1812 with a pin on our uniforms, why didn't we get one for the 250th anniversary of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham? The were both pre-Confederation.

Phil
Technically, I'd argue that for the War of 1812, it involved Canadian militias, so there is some claim by whichever (if any) Canadian regiments trace roots to those militias, while the conquest of Quebec/Battle of the Plains of Abraham only involved British regulars and no Canadians outside the French forces.
Old 25-07-12, 08:15 PM

It's amazing that most American's I meet think they won the war of 1812.

Simon.
Old 25-07-12, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
Technically, I'd argue that for the War of 1812, it involved Canadian militias, so there is some claim by whichever (if any) Canadian regiments trace roots to those militias, while the conquest of Quebec/Battle of the Plains of Abraham only involved British regulars and no Canadians outside the French forces.
In 1812 British North America was a cluster of different colonies, certainly not Canada as the nation we know today. As far as significance in the evolution of Canada from colonies to a country - 1759, 1812 - which is more important to Canada as we know it today?
As far as militia units go, I think 1855 is the cut off date for actual lineages.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 25-07-12, 08:46 PM

So how does the RCN claim to be senior service when they were raised in 1910? Are they special or is DND saying they claim RN lineage? colin
Old 25-07-12, 08:56 PM

Default Senior Service

In a nut shell, the RN was the senior service in the UK because it was a maritime nation, therefore because of our British ties when the Naval Service/RCN was formed, it became Canada's senior service.
Old 25-07-12, 09:20 PM

So why cant they use the same logic to award the battle honours then. A lot of the units do have ties to the units that fought in 1812.
Old 25-07-12, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post

Simon.
So Simon,

pray tell who won?
John
Old 25-07-12, 11:57 PM

Default Who Won?

I think everyone claims a victory except the Native North Americans. Since I live in Ontario and am not American, I firmly believe that Britain and the local Canadians won.
Old 25-07-12, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post

Simon.
Anyway for most Americans, the war of 1812 is limited to the Battle of New Orleans and for those more knowledgeable,there is the battle of Plattsburgh, the burning of Washington and the battle of Baltimore.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 26-07-12, 12:01 AM

Default Battle Honours vs Order of Precedence

Battle Honours and the Order of Precedence are two completely seperate things. One is a method of recognizing and honouring military accomplishments or key events such as battles and campaigns where as the other defines the order of seniority of the various arms and units of the military.
Old 26-07-12, 12:11 AM

Default Numbers.....

British losses in the war were about 1,600 killed in action and 3,679 wounded; 3,321 British died from disease. American losses were 2,260 killed in action and 4,505 wounded. While the number of Americans who died from disease is not known, it is estimated that about 15,000 died from all causes directly related to the war. These figures do not include deaths among Canadian militia forces or losses among native tribes.

There have been no estimates of the cost of the American war to Britain, but it did add some £25 million to the national debt. In the U.S., the cost was $105 million, about the same as the cost to Britain. The national debt rose from $45 million in 1812 to $127 million by the end of 1815, although by selling bonds and treasury notes at deep discounts—and often for irredeemable paper money due to the suspension of specie payment in 1814—the government received only $34 million worth of specie.

In addition, at least 3,000 American slaves escaped to the British because of their offer of freedom, the same as they had made in the American Revolution. Many other slaves simply escaped in the chaos of war and achieved their freedom on their own. The British settled some of the newly freed slaves in Nova Scotia. Four hundred freedmen were settled in New Brunswick. The Americans protested that Britain's failure to return the slaves violated the Treaty of Ghent. After arbitration by the Tsar of Russia the British paid $1,204,960 in damages to Washington, which reimbursed the slaveowners.

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.