British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-06-12, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan 71 View Post
I just dont think they have a place among the famous regiments of the british army.I think they are just a mascot for us.Having done public duties myself in the UK i think it is an honor that should be given to the CF especially for the jubilee.Just my opinion
Quite simply, greater minds than yours, with a thorough knowledge of history, pageantry and protocol decided otherwise.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 08-06-12, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan 71 View Post
I just dont think they have a place among the famous regiments of the british army.I think they are just a mascot for us.Having done public duties myself in the UK i think it is an honor that should be given to the CF especially for the jubilee.Just my opinion
Well I suppose everyone is entitled to an opinion - no matter how inflammatory. The RCMP take their tradition from the Cavalry and, when dismounted, still follow the regulation 1916 Dismounted Drill.
They are a self-professed para-military organization and, being raised in 1873, pre-date many Canadian - and British - regiments - including several of the British Guards Regiments (Welsh Guards, Irish Guards). As a military force they served in the Siberian Epeditionary Force and formed No.1 Company of the Canadian Provost Corps during the Second World War. You will note in the You-tube clip that they carry a Guidon which is emblazoned with their hard-won battle Honours (NW Rebellion 1885 - South Africa 1900-1902, Siberia, NW Europe,...)
The Crown has a habit of inviting different Regiments to provide her Guard. In addition to Gurkhas, the Royal Australian Regiment and others, I know that the PPCLI, and the RCR have been honoured recently. During the SWW at least 5 different Canadian Regiments took over Public Duties. For the 1953 Coronation the Guard was mounted by a composite unit made up of soldiers from a number of different units (not just Infantry) and was Commanded by a family friend, Maj R.D. Medland DSO.
Fortunately, for us, the Queen of Canada was sufficiently gracious to invite the RCMP (of which she is Honourary Commissioner) to mount the Guard.

Clive
Platoon Commander, Public Duties 1974 and 1975
Governor General's Foot Guards
Old 08-06-12, 01:30 PM

hi all,

thought the rcmp did a great job and were a credit to canada.

just to prove clive,s point,here is a clip from pathe showing french canadians takeing over guard at the palace in ww2

philip

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/fr...s+palace+guard
Old 09-06-12, 03:36 PM

Default Medals

Just for clarifications

On the Medals on the uniforms, yes various members of the RCMP have done UN duty and as a result when they have done at least 90 days of UN duty they are awarded the appropriate UN Ribbon with medal. Upon return to Canada, they receive another medal from Canada for UN duty.

The female Sgt Major, Debbie Reightenbach (SP) has not done any UN duty and has the RCMP Long Service, which is awarded after 20 years of service with good conduct and she has the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal. The officer, that approaches her and is saluted prior to reviewing the troops has the same medals.

Across the walkway is another member standing with a sword. He has the long service medal and I would say that the other medal would be a bravery medal as he does not have a UN Medal with the other medal that is awarded by Canada upon return from the UN Duty.

Jack