British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-10-15, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwijohn View Post
Having researched the landing of Edmund Bowler in some detail, after claims for some years by some of his descendants that he was the first New Zealander to land at Anzac Cove at 4.30am, it is quite clear that this is incorrect. He landed in the first tow off his transport, the Lake Michigan, as Beach Landing Officer with the 12th Battalion AIF and Headquarters staff. The first tow left the Michigan (12th Battalion War Diary) including Bowler at 6.50am. This places Bowler landing after 7am and before 7.30am. He landed some two and a half hours after a number of New Zealanders in the AIF had already landed in the first waves and splashed ashore around 4.30am. It seems this information was not accessed and claims checked by Frank Glen (writer of Bowler of Gallipoli). Bowler's own writing about his journey ashore and landing bears little resemblance to the pre-dawn nerve-wracking silent row ashore of the first landers, well documented in contemporary reports, unit documents and unit histories. Bowler was the first member of the NZEF ashore. Confirmation of the facts is relatively easy using readily available on-line access to Australian War Memorial Museum records. It will most probably never be known who was the first New Zealander ashore, although most likely he was a member of the 9th Battalion AIF, the leading boats of the Battalion being the first to disembark onto what was to become known as Anzac Cove.
Welcolme to the forum Kiwijohn.
It is always good to get an update of new information, I hear the Australians historians have only just recently acknowledged that 20 sappers, non-commissioned officers and an officer each from Nos 1, 2 and 3 sections of the 1st Field Company Engineers were also among the first ashore at Gallipoli.

I am glad you are able to validate my claim that Edmund Bowler was “the first New Zealand soldier to land on Gallipoli on the 25th” albeit a little over 2 ½ hours later than I had stated.

I was not aware Bowler’s descendants had made claims that he was the first New Zealander to land at Anzac Cove, but to be honest I have seen no evidence so far which proves them wrong.
To prove them incorrect you really need to identify a New Zealander that actually landed before Bowler.
Do you have any evidence to back your claims?

I for one would be very interested to know if any New Zealanders serving in the AIF or Australian 1st Field Company Engineers were ashore before the Commanding Officer of the New Zealand 2nd Reinforcements.
Old 23-10-15, 04:31 AM

Hello again,

There are one or two confusing comments in your reply to my post re Edmund Bowler. You mentioned you did not know of descendants and their claim. You have a link in your original post which takes readers to a news item about Devon Francis, a descendant of Bowler, and in the article it states the error of Bowler being the first New Zealander ashore.

Bowler was the first New Zealand soldier of the NZEF ashore between 7.00 and 7.30pm from the first tow off his troop transport the Lake Michigan. That is the statement I support. New Zealanders in the AIF were ashore well ahead of Edmund Bowler and NZEF units, and a number of them had already lost their lives by then. Where is my evidence? The proof of this lies in Bowler's writings, quoted in Frank Glen's book, when put alongside the 4th Battalion war diary (he landed with them as a member of the Headquarters Staff) which states the first tow left the Lake Michigan at 6.50am, official histories, the diaries and recounts of early landers in the first waves ashore, etc... there is plenty of corroborating evidence when you cross-check. It all paints the picture of Edmund Bowler landing much later than has been claimed and well after many New Zealanders, dotted through the Battalion rolls of initial landing units, had already scrambled ashore.

I do not have to prove a specific alternative first lander, just confirm Bowler was not the first New Zealander ashore, which my research does. Suffice to say many New Zealanders clambered ashore in the first waves of landers around 4.30-5.00am on 25 April 1915. A handful were in the first boats of the 9th Battalion AIF recognised as being the first unit to land at Anzac Cove. We will most likely never know who was the first New Zealander ashore at Anzac Cove.

Re Bowler being Commander of 2nd Reinforcements NZEF. He was OC for the trip from NZ to Egypt. He was then appointed Divisional Provost Marshall in Egypt. He landed at Gallipoli as a Beach Landing Officer, one of four landing from four transports anchored at Berths 1, 2, 3 and 4 off Gaba Tepe after the adavance force had landed. He landed with the Headquarters Staff, elements of 4 Battalion AIF and the Medical Corps. He was not OC 2nd Reinforcements at the time of his landing at Gallipoli.

I cannot provide a full bibliography here but I do have multiple references from multiple sources... it took a bit of digging!
Old 24-10-15, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Hello again,
There are one or two confusing comments in your reply to my post re Edmund Bowler. You mentioned you did not know of descendants and their claim. You have a link in your original post which takes readers to a news item about Devon Francis, a descendant of Bowler, and in the article it states the error of Bowler being the first New Zealander ashore.
The article was written by North Shore Times reporter Sarah Coddington, so technically it is her claims, and possibly may not be that of the descendants, whose comments are stated or contained in quotation marks.

Quote:
Bowler was the first New Zealand soldier of the NZEF ashore between 7.00 and 7.30pm from the first tow off his troop transport the Lake Michigan. That is the statement I support. New Zealanders in the AIF were ashore well ahead of Edmund Bowler and NZEF units, and a number of them had already lost their lives by then. Where is my evidence? The proof of this lies in Bowler's writings, quoted in Frank Glen's book, when put alongside the 4th Battalion war diary (he landed with them as a member of the Headquarters Staff) which states the first tow left the Lake Michigan at 6.50am, official histories, the diaries and recounts of early landers in the first waves ashore, etc... there is plenty of corroborating evidence when you cross-check. It all paints the picture of Edmund Bowler landing much later than has been claimed and well after many New Zealanders, dotted through the Battalion rolls of initial landing units, had already scrambled ashore.

I do not have to prove a specific alternative first lander, just confirm Bowler was not the first New Zealander ashore, which my research does. Suffice to say many New Zealanders clambered ashore in the first waves of landers around 4.30-5.00am on 25 April 1915. A handful were in the first boats of the 9th Battalion AIF recognised as being the first unit to land at Anzac Cove. We will most likely never know who was the first New Zealander ashore at Anzac Cove.
I do not disagree that there was a large number of New Zealanders serving in the AIF, and IMO in all likelihood some would have been in the first boats ashore, but without a list of actual names and times of landing, it remains speculation.

New Zealanders served in most of the allied forces that fought at Gallipoli, such as Captain James Waddell, a saddler's son from Dunedin who went on to become one of New Zealands highest decorated soldiers in WW1, and is one of the all-time greats when it comes to the French Foreign Legion.
Captain Waddell in command of French Foreign Legion troops landed at Cape Helles, Gallipoli, on April 28, 1915.

Bernard Freyberg has always been claimed as the first New Zealander to step ashore at Gallipoli, but where do we draw the line?
Possibly there were New Zealanders serving in the Plymouth Battalion which landed at 8.30am on Kum Kale and Sedd-el-Bahr on the 4th March 1914?

The way I interpret it, is that until better evidence can be provided, Lieut-Colonel Edmund Robert Bowler is still the first known New Zealander to have stepped ashore at Anzac Cove.

Quote:
Re Bowler being Commander of 2nd Reinforcements NZEF. He was OC for the trip from NZ to Egypt. He was then appointed Divisional Provost Marshall in Egypt. He landed at Gallipoli as a Beach Landing Officer, one of four landing from four transports anchored at Berths 1, 2, 3 and 4 off Gaba Tepe after the adavance force had landed. He landed with the Headquarters Staff, elements of 4 Battalion AIF and the Medical Corps. He was not OC 2nd Reinforcements at the time of his landing at Gallipoli.

I cannot provide a full bibliography here but I do have multiple references from multiple sources... it took a bit of digging!

Just so there is no misunderstanding,
Lieut-Colonel Edmund Robert Bowler, OC 7th (Southland) Mounted Rifles was appointed as the Commanding Officer of all 2nd Reinforcements on the 20th October 1914.
(As already mentioned the 2nd Reinforcements arrived into Trentham camp on the 21st Oct 1914, they embarked on the 14th Dec 1914, and disembarked in Egypt on the 28th Jan 1915 where they were absorbed into the NZEF)
Captain Charles Eric Andrews, N.Z.S.C. whose signature is included on the document in Post #21 was appointed as adjutant of the 2nd Reinforcements.

Colonel H. R. Potter who was a Major when the 2nd Reinforcements arrived at Trentham was in command of Trentham camp, for convenience in regard to discipline and administration, the different arms were organised as separate units, each under its own commander.

Last edited by atillathenunns; 27-12-17 at 12:26 AM.
Old 24-10-15, 06:18 AM

Hello again,

Professor Peter Stanley, Australian Defence Force historian, in his book Lost Boys of Anzac, confirms two New Zealanders landing as members of the first wave, 9 Battalion AIF, were killed on 25 April 1915. They were Fred Thomson of Feilding and Joseph Moir of Taranaki. These are but two of a number of NZers in the first battalions to go ashore in the initial landing, as Edmund Bowler aboard the Lake Michigan steamed towards the ship's berthing point off Gaba Tepe.

Try this link and you find the direct quote and this quote reflects the claim of Edmund Bowler's descendants which is still held and promoted today... as recent contact with them has confirmed. http://www.3news.co.nz/nznews/top-es...#axzz3pSeT3ztt

Edmund Bowler was poorly treated for openly expressing his opinions of the Gallipoli debacle and leadershipm. He was unjustifiably, if not unsurprisingly, snubbed and returned to New Zealand in 1916. He had the honour of being the first member of the NZEF ashore at Anzac Cove as Beach Landing Officer with the Divisional Staff and 4th Battalion AIF but was not accorded any official honour, not even a mention in despatches, for his great work on Gallipoli. His army records were severely 'purged' post-war and only a few pages remain, one of which you show in your post. You appear to have read Frank Glen's book and in it he records that Bowler was, subsequent to being OC 2nd Reinforcements NZEF, Provost Marshall in Egypt and a Beach Landing Officer attached to the AIF.
Old 03-11-15, 09:17 AM

Hi Kiwijohn,

Sorry for the slow reply, but I too think that Bowler was treated poorly for openly expressing his opinions of the Gallipoli debacle.
Bowlers positions as Assistant Provost Marshal (Feb 1915), Beach Landing officer (25 April 1915), Officer Commanding Inner Defences (20 May 1915) and Commandant Anzac Cove (27 May 1915) make Bowler’s written memories one of the most important records of our ANZAC legend, as such, I highly recommend to all, Frank Glen’s book ‘Bowler of Gallipoli’ (Witness to the ANZAC legend)

In regards to the claim of Edmund Bowler's descendants, in particular Devon Francis the sixteen-year-old great-great- grand-daughter, I am inclined to believe she was quoting direct from Bowler’s written account where he mentions that he believed that he had the honour and the glory of being the first New Zealander ashore at Anzac Cove.
In the sea of Australian troops that surrounded Bowler at the time of his landing, I am convinced he was simply referring that he was the first member of the NZEF to land on Anzac Cove.

The first New Zealander arguably to land on Gallipoli was Bernard Freyberg.

Thanks to your research and Professor Peter Stanley who confirms Fred Thomson of Feilding and Joseph Moir of Taranaki were two among an unknown number of New Zealanders serving with the AIF that were members of the first wave to land at Anzac Cove.

Thanks to the Australian Army History Unit, Bowlers grandchildren and Frank Glen, Lieut-Colonel Edmund Robert Bowler, the Commanding Officer of the 2nd Reinforcements has been written into our history books as the first New Zealander of the NZEF to land on Anzac Cove.
Old 04-11-15, 10:05 AM

Default Edmund Bowler

Hello again,

Yes, my interpretation is the same as yours. I believe Bowler did not intend to make the claim of being absolute first New Zealander ashore. I believe he meant first member of the NZEF ashore.

Misinterpretation often comes from subsequent generations in a family, as I have found out when interviewing ex-servicemen and their family members. In the case of Edmund Bowler it appears the family has taken the wording in his letters and diaries and interpreted what he wrote as 'the first New Zealander ashore' as literally that. Bowler's writing sits comfortably with his landing as the first NZEF member ashore but does not correspond to the interpretation of some of his descendants as him being in the first wave ashore at dawn or thereabouts with the 9th Battalion AIF.

This does not demean Edmund Bowler or his achievements, it just puts part of his story into the correct context and also highlights the place in history of many New Zealanders who landed amongst the first ashore at Anzac Cove as members of the AIF... in some ways the 'forgotten' New Zealanders (along with those who served UK, Canadian, Indian, South African , etc units).
Old 10-01-16, 02:21 AM

Yet another triple fern badge being worn .Private Robert Campbell Erikson 6/2608

Scroll -less but unclear if it is numbered or not .Erikson was a 6th Infantry reinforcement .

I look forward to seeing John Lynch's research into this particular badge .

(Onward Volume 3 ,page 125)

The third instalment of the Onward series is available now ,with over 4000 photo portraits of 1st NZEF soldiers ,a real treasure trove for the NZ military genealogist and an interesting array of badges being worn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Erikson 001.jpg (81.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 26-05-16, 10:11 PM

Robert Campbell Erikson 6/2608 ,wearing the triple fern badge is in fact one of my previously unidentified soldiers in my 1st NZEF photo collection .Wounded on four occasions .

For more photo's of 1st NZEF soldiers go to my Face Book community page

"'Unknown Warriors of the NZEF''

Pictures and bio's of 1st NZEF soldiers and well as attempting to identify unidentified portrait photo's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Erikson.jpg (28.2 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by pukman; 26-05-16 at 10:21 PM.
Old 29-05-16, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
Yet another triple fern badge being worn .Private Robert Campbell Erikson 6/2608

Scroll -less but unclear if it is numbered or not .Erikson was a 6th Infantry reinforcement .

I look forward to seeing John Lynch's research into this particular badge .

Only living 15 minutes from where I am, I did manage to catch up with John Lynch and compare research information. The photograph that was key to John’s research on a numbered triple fern badge was unfortunately incorrectly identified by a fellow collector.
As such the numbered triple fern badge still remains as most likely to have never been worn on the uniform.
Old 29-05-16, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
Only living 15 minutes from where I am, I did manage to catch up with John Lynch and compare research information. The photograph that was key to John’s research on a numbered triple fern badge was unfortunately incorrectly identified by a fellow collector.
As such the numbered triple fern badge still remains as most likely to have never been worn on the uniform.
No numbers on this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Erikson (2).jpeg (37.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-07-16, 06:08 PM

New to my collection of 1st NZEF portrait photo's ,this one identified as Maurice Lindsay Clarke 8/2874.7th reinforcements ,D (Otago) company

This badge is not pictured in Oldham's badge catalogue which is a shame .Triple Fern reinforcement badge with no number.

The only two varieties I have seen worn ,of the triple fern badges ,are pictured (from the Laurie Osbourne collection)

For more 1st NZEF badges being worn visit my Face Book page ,Unknown Warriors of the NZEF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maurice Lindsay Clarke 8-2874.jpg (53.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg christchurch 067_crop.jpg (44.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg christchurch 067 (3).JPG (51.3 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by pukman; 12-07-16 at 07:21 PM.
Old 17-07-16, 01:49 AM

Quote:
New to my collection of 1st NZEF portrait photo's ,this one identified as Maurice Lindsay Clarke 8/2874.7th reinforcements ,D (Otago) company

This badge is not pictured in Oldham's badge catalogue which is a shame .Triple Fern reinforcement badge with no number.

The only two varieties I have seen worn ,of the triple fern badges ,are pictured (from the Laurie Osbourne collection)
Puk I do recall the trade me auction #491480041, as can be seen by the picture below.
If I recall correctly it was not listed as being 7th reinforcements?

However I agree the “M. Clarke” written on back could only be Maurice Lindsay Clarke, 7th reinforcement’s D company, which helps put a name to the previously unidentified photograph provided by Matt Pomeroy in post #15 of this thread.

I suspect you have used Matts photo in your previous post and not the one from Lauries auction?

Last edited by atillathenunns; 27-12-17 at 12:34 AM.
Old 17-07-16, 09:00 AM

Yes that is correct .Matt's full size framed photo was unidentified ,and he let me use the image ,as I was looking for images of the triple fern reinforcement badge being worn .
The A4 sized portrait that I bought was listed as 1st reinforcement but I knew that not to be the case .

Here is another rare badge being worn .Lawrence Clyde Goodwin wears the reserve brigade collars and cap badge .He was killed in action on the 16th of September 1916 .

For more pictures of 1st NZEF servicemen wearing badges ,and their stories visit my Facebook page ''Unknown Warriors of the NZEF''
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lawrence Clyde Goodwin 23-2565.jpg (32.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-04-17, 04:06 AM

I would like opinions on Bill here .His photo taken by a Southland/New Zealand studio(McKesch) .He is wearing tropical uniform ,and a Solar Toppee (Wolesley pattern foreign service helmet).

He also appears to have the scrolled triple fern reinforcement badge on his helmet ,and numeral 9 on his epaulette .

Most unusual !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bill (2).jpg (29.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpeg Bill (3).jpeg (38.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 06-04-17, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I would like opinions on Bill here .His photo taken by a Southland/New Zealand studio(McKesch) .He is wearing tropical uniform ,and a Solar Toppee (Wolesley pattern foreign service helmet).

He also appears to have the scrolled triple fern reinforcement badge on his helmet ,and numeral 9 on his epaulette .

Most unusual !!
Indeed an interesting helmet and with what is undoubtedly a triple fern reinforcement badge and a puggaree side patch.
I am feeling Bill does not have a last name?