British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Arab Nations

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-09-08, 12:50 PM

Default Iraq levies

The Iraq Levies
Badges and Insignia

The Iraq Levies started life as a small unit of 80 horsemen called the Muntafiq Horse or Arab Scouts raised during the Great War. From the time of it’s first formation until it was formalised in 1919 it went under a number of names and its history is to say the least confusing.

Uniforms were issued but there doesn’t appear to have been a great deal of standardisation and certainly no badges have been identified as particular to that period. British officers probably wore the uniforms of their parent unit while local troops wore whatever could be obtained for them. Head-dress appears to have been either an Arab head cloth or Indian style turban without any badge. In the early stages of the unit’s existence the majority of local troops were Arab with some Kurds. However a considerable number of Assyrians began to enlist and by the time of the campaign against the Kurds in 1919 there was a full battalion of them.

In 1922 the unit’s adopted badge was a pair of crossed Iraqi daggers, hilts up and blades curving outwards with a crown surmounted by a lion between the hilts. Officers in service dress wore the usual British service dress cap with this badge.

With the formation of the Iraqi Kingdom in the 1920s the British agreed to stop the recruiting of Arabs who were needed for the new Iraqi Army and the Levies became more and more Assyrian in character.

Quite soon the crown and lion was dropped from the cap badge and a simple pair of crossed daggers was adopted. These were locally made, the officers from cast silver and the other ranks from a copper rich brass. The formal head dress was originally an astrachan fur busby but later a slouch hat turned up on the left was adopted in it’s place. The cap badge usually had a single stick pin fastening - presumably so it could be put on and off with minimal damage to the hat. Since they were handmade in the souk the badges exhibit considerable variation in size and the amount of decoration. Officers badges can vary from quite plain to elaborate niello inlay.

A smaller badge with lugs was worn on the airborne beret during WW2

The crossed daggers can also be found with a variety of letters and numbers attached. These are not fully understood.

Slouch hats were worn with a khaki pugree which had a coloured top fold and a correspondingly coloured feather plume
2nd Bn - Red
3rd Bn - White
4th Bn - Black
Depot - Yellow
MG - Blue

The photos show an officer's silver badge and a soldier's brass badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IL Cap silver.jpg (9.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Iraq levies OR.jpg (60.0 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Eddie Parks; 22-09-08 at 09:59 AM.
Old 21-09-08, 12:54 PM

Default Collar badges, Shoulder badges, buttons

Collar badges do not seem to have been worn although a badge consisting of an oak leaf wreath circle and the letters IL has been seen.

There was however a special shoulder badge consisting of a single dagger worn point to the rear and turned down where a shoulder title would have been expected. These were again silver for officers and copper brass for ORs. They exist in a bewildering variety of shapes and sizes. Fastenings also vary from brooch fittings to conventional lugs. Badges may be cast or die struck. In common with all levies badges these daggers all show an inverted shield shaped or triangular pommel. Daggers with T shaped or round pommels belong elsewhere.

Buttons appear to have been the usual British GS pattern but there is a button which corresponds to the collar badge mentioned above.

Officers shoulder badges; OR left shoulder badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IL Shoulder badges silver.jpg (13.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Iraq levies shoulder badge.jpg (34.8 KB, 31 views)
Old 21-09-08, 01:01 PM

Default Raf levies iraq

In 1933 the title of the force - by now almost exclusively Assyrian in nature - was changed to the RAF Levies Iraq following the hand over of responsibility for the internal security of Iraq to the Royal air Force. Army officers continued to be seconded to the force and it retained an army character.

The Levies went into the Second World War wearing the same crossed daggers badges it always had. However in 1943 the unit was assimilated more closely into the RAF and a new set of badges was issued. These were also locally made of the same copper rich brass and consist of a circlet with the new name, an eagle above and the crossed daggers superimposed. There are at least three varieties of the RAF Levies Iraq badge. The most commonly seen is the version on which the word Iraq is replaced by a spray of palm leaves. Sadly most or even all that come up for sale are fakes.

There is also a question of just how many of these badges were ever worn. Pictures of them in wear are rare.

At the same time the unit adopted the RAF sleeve eagle badge for ORs. The version worn appears to have been the red on khaki drill version, even with battledress.

Officers had a button showing the RAF eagle above crossed daggers.

Photos:
RAF Levies with Iraq - this one is genuine
RAF Levies without Iraq - this is probably a fake
RAF Levies - silver version with pin fastening sold recently on eBay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAF Levies Iraq.jpg (75.6 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg RAF Levies (Iraq).jpg (19.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg RAF Levies Silver.JPG (32.4 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Eddie Parks; 22-09-08 at 10:00 AM.
Old 21-09-08, 01:04 PM

Default The Iraq Paracute unit

Soon after the formation of the Parachute Regiment in the UK the Levies were tasked with raising a company sized parachute unit. This wore the red beret initially with a reduced size daggers badge. Later they wore the RAF Levies badge and photographs also show the standard Parachute Regiment badge in use as well.

Other insignia was the same as in the Parachute Regiment/Airborne Forces.

The Parachute unit saw service in Palestine and Greece.

Last edited by Eddie Parks; 13-02-09 at 02:54 PM.
Old 21-09-08, 01:07 PM

Default Other items

Local silversmiths were always keen to provide trinkets for solders and their wives and sweethearts (may they never meet).

Here are a couple of pairs of Levies cuff links.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IL cuff-links 1.jpg (13.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IL cuff-links 2.jpg (15.3 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Eddie Parks; 21-09-08 at 01:12 PM.
Old 21-09-08, 01:09 PM

Default Disbandment

In 1958 Britain scrambled out of Iraq in face of increasing local hostility. The Levies were disbanded - some joined the Iraqi Army. Very many emigrated to America but mainly to Australia where they can still be seen on parade on Anzac Day.
Old 21-09-08, 01:20 PM
peter616

RAF Levies without Iraq look ok ?
Old 21-09-08, 01:31 PM

I don't think so. it was sold as a copy. It's a different colour to the known genuine ones. But who can tell? In one sense they are all copies since they are all sand cast.
Old 23-09-08, 12:12 AM

http://www.assyrianlevies.com/
Eddie, the above url is an excellent site. It is run by an ex Aussie Soldier who is decended from one of the Iraq Levies. Def worth a look if you have not seen it. Some excellent photos.
Rgds
Cliff
Old 23-09-08, 10:05 AM

Cliff

I agree that it's a great site. But it's very Assyriocentric and virtually ignores anyone else who served in the Levies. The pictures are great and you'll find all the things mentioned above on display.
Old 10-05-09, 07:16 PM

Default Iraq Levies

Photo of front and rear of RAF Levies badge sent ot me my an ex member of the RAF who saw my collection of badges and patches and was kind enough to post the one he had on to me.So I have to conclude that it is a genuine one. John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RA cloth 001.jpg (84.3 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg RA cloth 002.jpg (81.1 KB, 74 views)
Old 30-08-10, 03:50 PM

Hi, mine has the same flaws as your's Eddie; F and A in Iraq. My questions are 1/ mine has a red backing, any significance? 2/ and were they ever armoured at any time? Thanks in advance Mike.
Old 30-08-10, 04:06 PM

Hi

Speculation I am afraid but a red backing might relate to the red hackle worn originally in the Slouch hat by 2nd Bn?

And given the RAF's love of armoured cars I suspect there may well have been an armoured element.

Eddie
Old 30-08-10, 06:14 PM

Hi, thanks for that, I'll hang on to it. Hope springs eternal. Mike
Old 31-08-10, 11:14 AM

The Levies were disbanded post WW2 and the RAF Armoured Car Regiments in Iraq formed about the same time. The GSM Palestine to the Parachute Company SGT I have in my collection has no unit name but RAF style naming.

The only Iraq based unit to earn a GSM Palestine (1945-48) was in armour. I believe some of the Levies likely moved to the RAF armoured units (RAF Regiment) but no evidence yet.

Shaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
Hi

Speculation I am afraid but a red backing might relate to the red hackle worn originally in the Slouch hat by 2nd Bn?

And given the RAF's love of armoured cars I suspect there may well have been an armoured element.

Eddie