British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-04-12, 12:59 AM

Cool Original 1st Canadian Paratroopers Jump Smock? Help!

Hi all,

I was surfing on ebay and saw this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-Canadian...item2c64936055

Does everything seem original on this? The seller has other original items but I just wanted to check here, since I know these are faked. I have a full paratrooper uniform with provenance, but no jacket- the owner left it in a crawlspace and forgot about it until he moved!

Many thanks!
Old 16-04-12, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

The tunic has some issues. I would do a lot of research before I bid on it.
Old 16-04-12, 01:03 AM

Thanks Bill, I was unsure and wanted to check it out first- I know there was a fairly recent detailed book on Canadian uniforms including paratrooper items, but cannot remember the name.
Old 16-04-12, 01:27 AM

Possibly this one. Available from http://www.servicepub.com/

Old 16-04-12, 01:50 AM

Thats the one! Thanks

Bill, could you direct me to some of the issues on the tunic? I would just like a heads up on what makes it suspicious.

Cheers
Old 16-04-12, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

How about the fact that the rank is a slip on? It is meaningless. Anyone could have added the slip-ons at any time. And the wing is not verified.
As you seem to be getting into dealing, a reference library is essential. And the book is a great reference.
Old 16-04-12, 02:00 AM

Thanks again Bill, I will pick up the book and try to get educated - I was worried more about the tunic being post war and converted, or having the wings put on after, didn't notice the tabs...I's still learning about uniforms, especially super rare ones that are faked! Someone offered me a German uniform which he swore was authentic, turns out it was made in China
Old 16-04-12, 04:16 AM

Default Denison Smock

Basically what you have here is a pretty beat-up 1945 dated Denison Smock with a pair of Captain rank slip-ons and Canadian Parachute wings. To anticpate that this garment was issued to a member of 1 Can Para Battalion would be a bit of wishful thinking considering all of these items were still being used by the post-WWII Canadian Army.

If I were bidding on this smock, I would take into consideration the sum of the items and bid accordingling.

For comparison, here are two images of a couple of post-WWII Canadian Denisons that I own.

ED

Old 16-04-12, 10:09 PM

The jump smock may be original, the wings and slip ons could be easlily added and would make the item more desirable in the Canadian market, shouldn't the pips be airborne sky blue instead of red. The seller has known to make items up, this was probably picked up at the Calgary mega show on the Easter weekend. I ahve noticed that some post war smocks are being passed off as WW2 with the addition of a well washed out reproduced makers tag. I have even seen BMB helmet liners reproduced for the parachute and dispatch helmets. Amazing what is out there for copies even two tone helmet nets!
Old 17-04-12, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker Mike View Post
shouldn't the pips be airborne sky blue instead of red.
No, officer's in 1 Can Para Bn wore the standard infantry red pips. You are thinking of Brit Paras...
Old 27-04-12, 07:25 PM

On the subject of faked stuff, I read somewhere that this tank holster (which was also used by airborne) is on ebay looks a little dodgy. I know a couple of years ago these were reproduced I think in India, the stampings dont look right to me. I asked the seller if the snap on the back says United Carr Canada but no response.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2307809067...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
Old 28-04-12, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker Mike View Post
On the subject of faked stuff, I read somewhere that this tank holster (which was also used by airborne) is on ebay looks a little dodgy. I know a couple of years ago these were reproduced I think in India, the stampings dont look right to me. I asked the seller if the snap on the back says United Carr Canada but no response.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2307809067...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
This probably deserves it's own thread as it's a very different subject matter.... however, it looks fine to me and is nothing like the reproduction holsters made in India 15 or so years ago. The quality of the webbing on those was quite shabby, the shape was off and the color was much more of a darker British hue. Oh, and the brass looks correct too which was also poorly done on the Indian examples. Unless there is a new breed of reproductions that I haven't seen yet...

Where did you see the discussion about this holster? I would be very curious to see what others are saying and why.

Last edited by Infanteer; 28-04-12 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-06-12, 10:51 PM

Is it me or was it relisted... I wonder if the buyer found out it was fake

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-Canadian...34488593560018
Old 04-06-12, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

As Ed said in another post, it is interesting that so many questions come up about this vendor's listings...........
Old 04-06-12, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
As Ed said in another post, it is interesting that so many questions come up about this vendor's listings...........
Uh oh, not a good sign I take it