British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-11-07, 10:05 PM

Default SAS WWll VARIENT WING!!! Aaaagh!

Thats supposed to say Variant!

I hope no one on here is selling this!

SAS - Special Air Service - S.A.S - WW2 Wing SBS LRDG
Item number: 250185091798

I sincerely hope no one on here is bidding on this!

I'm not in the habit of commenting on Evilbay auctions whilst they are running but I had to with this one. The description goes:

A unique and particularly rare opportunity to purchase a fine and historically important example of a WW11 period scarce operational sabre wing attributed to the SAS from a former member and winner (Best of Show) of the collectors' club known as "Chute and Dagger" (UK).

Presented in a used removed from uniform (RFU) condition, this Special Air Service operational wing would a be a truly fine asset to your collection of SAS memorabilia.

Examples of such wings were favoured and seen on SAS officers (WOC - Wings on Chest) in particular the late Lt. Col. Paddy Mayne DSO of the 1st SAS Regiment and the late Fraser McLuskey MC - Padre SAS Regiment.

Approximate measurments are 7cm wide and 2.7cm high.

Exact examples of this rare circa 1943/1944 (variant) operational wing can be clearly seen in the following books asscociated with the SAS Regiment:-

1. "Paddy Mayne" by Hamish Ross on (photo secion) plate 17 and plate 20... Then lists some other SAS books.

Firstly this is a scam, its a relatively new modern SAS wing dirtied and pulled about to look old. Thus conning someone to pay big bucks for a useless ruined badge that would cost £6.00 new. Secondly this on its own, in this condition wouldn't be shown at the C&D UK show, nevermind win anything. I know because I'm a long time member. You can also tell that modern thread is used and will shine like Xmas with a black light!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4419_12.jpg (48.6 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg 4711_12.jpg (35.3 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by tynesideirish; 20-11-07 at 10:09 PM.
Old 20-11-07, 10:06 PM

For comparison heres a real one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saswing.jpg (30.5 KB, 165 views)
Old 23-11-07, 09:56 AM

Angry

I visited the site following your entry.The seller has a 100% positive feedback so the unaware purchaser would belive he was having the real thing.There have so far been 19 bids and as reached £72.00.
Thanks Tyneside Irish for bringing it to our attention.
Bantam.
Old 23-11-07, 04:22 PM

I'm still peeved he's falsely brought chute & Dagger into this!

100% fb is because they think they are getting the real deal at probably a bargain price. Most fakers and restrikers have good feedback because they deliver. The fact its a fake is beyond most ebay buyers knowledge. The fakers making big bucks, the buyers got a 'rare' badge, everyones happy... Until they try and sell it on! It'll be a few years time and a lot of bucks before they realise they've shelled out for some rubbish and shouldn't have bought without the knowledge.

It's pointless trying to stop them, you just get a hate campaign against your items.
Old 23-11-07, 08:05 PM

£96.00 Now and conveniently being sold as a private listing.
Old 24-11-07, 01:41 PM

I've had this collection of Airborne badges I purchased from a soldier at Brecon. They have stayed in my cupboard for about 10 years without me looking at them at all. Your thread prompted me to go looking, as I believed to have a wing marked SAS WW2. Here it is plus a couple of others on the same board.

ww2sas.jpg ww2sas-1.jpg
WW2

23sas.jpg 23sas-1.jpg
Territorial Army

22sas.jpg
Regulars

I don't know if they are repro or good. Maybe someone will enlighten me?

Regards,

Garry
Old 24-11-07, 05:15 PM

Garry,
the First wing is in the style of an original WWll straight wing this is a copy using modern threads, this one I believe by Nicholas Morigi, who make good REPLICA insignia for display and reenactment use.

The second a good 23 SAS wing. Very numerous and not worth faking yet. However not really worn at all as most TA SAS rarely wear No.2's and it's not worn on combat uniforms.

The third is a good 21 /22 SAS sabre wing. Note not just regular as in your post 21 SAS wear it too.

Australians SASR and NZSAS can and do frequently also swap and change this wing.