British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-07-18, 06:23 AM

Default Major General Corran Purdon - Sad news

I am sorry to belatedly inform members of the sad passing of one of the most outstanding individuals it was my privilege to meet. As can be seen from his obituary - Corran passed away at home on 27 June 2018 and was the very best type of man:

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/ne...one-of-a-kind/

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/98...of-all-nazaire - I hope you can open the embedded video.

Corran was a Lt with No12 Cdo when captured on the St Nazaire Raid. Later imprisoned in Colditz, he subsequently married 'Jeannie' the widow of Lt Col TBH Otway, CO 9 Para Bn.

On release from Colditz, Corran returned to 1st Bn of his Regiment: The Royal Ulster Rifles - then in 6th Airborne Division.

Corran was a remarkable man, with an incredible career - his biography 'List the Bugle' is nothing less than inspirational.

As with all great men, his modesty and 'down to earth' nature was most endearing. I was not surprised to learn his men would follow him anywhere, it is clear their well being was a priority to him.

I believe Corran may have been the last survivor (certainly British survivor) of Colditz, and one of very few living veterans (if any others) who participated in the St Nazaire raid.

I am sure members join me in expressing deep and sincere condolences to his family.

Mike

PURDON Major General Corran William Brooke CBE MC CPM died peacefully at home on 27th June 2018. Adored husband of Jean and of the late Patricia, wonderful father to Patrick, Tim and Angela, and an inspirational figurehead for his whole family. Private funeral followed by a service of thanksgiving, at St John's Church, Long Street, Devizes, SN10 1NP, on Thursday 26th July, at 2.30pm. Convenient parking may be limited. No flowers please, donations preferred to the Royal Irish Regiment Benevolent Fund. Enquiries to John Stuart Funeral Directors. Tel: 01380 729459.
Published in The Times on July 3, 2018

Last edited by Mike B; 05-07-18 at 06:37 AM.