British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-05-18, 04:29 PM

Default Berkshire Yeomanry and RDYA

The first of these buttons might be Berkshire Yeomanry but I am struggling to identify the second one. Royal Devon Yeomanry Artillery or something similar?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buttons 002.jpg (81.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg buttons 003.jpg (105.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg buttons 004.jpg (90.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg buttons 005.jpg (105.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 29-05-18, 07:39 PM

Hello

According to Howard Ripley's book on Yeomanry Buttons the RDYA button is the pattern used by "296th (Royal Devon Yeomanry) Field Regiment, RA (TA)". The authorised pattern is flat with an incised design and can be found in "Silver, gilt and gold anodised, KC: Gilt and chrome, QC".

The authorised Berkshire Yeomanry button (or at least one design) is virtually the same as yours but the usual convex shape (rather than flat) and with the addition of 'Berkshire' below the horse. I think yours is, as you say, for the Berkshire Yeomanry but it is probably a civilian blazer button (or possibly a hunt button) and therefore not the same as the authorised pattern.

It is always possible that the RDYA button is also a civilian blazer button rather than the authorised uniform button.

Roger
Old 30-05-18, 07:06 AM

Roger,

many thanks for your comprehensive answer. I am not entirely convinced that the first button is Berkshire Yeomanry due to the style of the horse. However, I am not sure that a hunt button would have had a crown above a horse.

I will continue to delve.

Simon
Old 30-05-18, 08:50 AM

Hello Simon

Sorry, when I mentioned the possibility of a hunt button I should have specified 'military hunt'; these often used a crown.

I admit it is a long shot that your Berkshire Yeomanry button is a hunt button as I can find no reference to a 'Berkshire Yeomanry Hunt'. When you think about it, it would be rather odd for a Yeomanry regiment to have its own hunt!

Roger
Old 01-06-18, 11:59 PM

Hello Simon and Roger,

Apologies, somehow I missed this post.

I am of the same opinion as Roger, that the Berkshire button is a 'Blazer' button for the Berkshire Yeomanry. I haven't heard of a Berkshire Yeomanry Hunt - I have done a quick check of my books and can't find anything, so in all likelihood a Berkshire Yeomanry Blazer button.

I also have a similar Berkshire Yeomanry blazer button - though, if you don't mind me saying, it would appear to be slightly more professionally engraved. Please see attached picture - which shows my Blazer button along with a normal Berkshire Yeomanry King's Crown button.
The similarity in horse designs between the blazer and Yeomanry is almost identical.
My blazer button is 20mm in diameter and the backmark is : PITT & Co . 31 MADDOX St LONDON. W . - which looks to be the same as yours.

Simon - your engraved button looks as if somebody copied my version or did it from a drawing. The lines (shadowing) on the horse etc. are almost in the right place - the only thing that lets it down is the horses head. It should be facing ahead - but on your version it is facing towards the viewer. But I suppose if you were engraving it from a picture or another button and were not paying full attention - you might not pick up on that fact until it was too late and would anyone really notice on a blazer button.

I would happily have your button in my Berkshire Yeomanry collection - as Blazer button. If you decide you don't want it - please let me know.

All the best

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Berks Yeo Blazer.jpg (92.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-06-18, 04:14 PM

Ian,

as my Berkshire Yeomanry blazer button was also made by Pitt & Co it was probably a rushed job started at 4.50pm on the Friday of a Bank Holiday weekend.

As it happens that I have two of them I can let one of them go.

Simon

Last edited by High Wood; 06-06-18 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-06-18, 04:40 PM

Simon,

Very kind of you.

PM sent.

Many thanks

Ian