British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-02-18, 08:56 PM

Default Parachute Regiment cap badge, anodised?

A recent purchase, a Parachute Regiment cap badge advertised as anodised aluminium.

But is it? I have found examples on this forum with a slider but none with lugs. Also, the obvious replicas from the Birmingham mint have sliders...

It weighs 6 grams, and it is not flimsy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180204_115930_resized.jpg (65.4 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg 20180204_115950_resized.jpg (61.8 KB, 183 views)
Old 06-02-18, 09:20 PM

The edges look a bit thin for A/A particularly the top of the wings.

I'd also be surprised if lugged versions were produced in A/A.

Happy to be corrected though.

Graham
Old 06-02-18, 09:40 PM

Curious, for the following reasons:
1. All A/A Parachute Regiment badges seem to have a smooth die cast reverse.
2. KC A/A Para badges I believe were never officially authorised for issue, search the A/A section here on the forum.
3. Previously spotted KC A/A badges had the square feather/ pointy wing ends.
4. How does the convergence of the shroud lines compare to known fake W/M Para badges?
5. Are you sure it isn't just a chrome plated W/M or G/M badge? Usually the glue holding lugs or sliders to an A/A badge is grey coloured.
6. Any relevant provenance?

Rgds, Thomas

Last edited by fougasse1940; 06-02-18 at 09:57 PM. Reason: addl thoughts
Old 07-02-18, 08:45 AM

No, it is certainly not anodised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
A recent purchase, a Parachute Regiment cap badge advertised as anodised aluminium.

But is it? I have found examples on this forum with a slider but none with lugs. Also, the obvious replicas from the Birmingham mint have sliders...

It weighs 6 grams, and it is not flimsy.
Old 07-02-18, 06:26 PM

Default AA Para Reg. KC

KC AA Para Reg. buttons
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Para Reg Button KC.jpg (96.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 08-02-18, 12:54 AM

It’s a welll known WW2 pattern plated badge, whether it is nickel or chrome plated is hard to distinguish from the pics.

Jack
Old 28-06-18, 09:41 PM

Default Anodised Lugged KC Parachute Regiment Badge?

I was looking through my KC Parachute Regiment beret badges today and came across the following example that I've had for a very long time. It's been stuck in the shoebox for so long I forgot I even had it

I'm not making any extravagant claims regarding this but it is a hard one to categorise.

1) It seems an original badge; no die flaw, pointy wingtips or square feathers etc. This is a fairly common pattern in WM and I have several, but, when they are compared side by side with this example, the difference is apparent.
2) It's a very bright silver colour but doesn't appear to be chromed.
3) it's not silver or silver plate.
4) The plating has worn off on the front in places and the underlying metal looks like polished alloy.
5) The front hasn't oxidised or tarnished at all in the years I've owned it.
6) It's not flimsy but is lighter than comparable WM examples.
7) The half round lugs are a grey colour and look like alloy.
8) The area where the lugs are attached is grey. I have seen this on QC A/A examples.

The notion of an A/A lugged KC badge seems one step beyond a slidered version however.

I should say, with no disrespect to past posters of slidered versions, that I'm not a great fan of these as they have pointy wingtips and square feathers which always make me nervous.

I'm not convinced this is a historic find, but it is a bit of an oddity, and any thoughts on identification would be much appreciated.

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aP6280153.jpg (44.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg aP6280157.jpg (47.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg aP6280139.jpg (53.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg aP6280142.jpg (60.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg aP6280145.jpg (49.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg aP6280148.jpg (60.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg aP6280151.jpg (47.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 28-06-18, 10:23 PM

Badge from a Gaunt die. My first impression based just on these images is that it was poorly cleaned/degreased before nickel or chrome plating, hence the rough appearance, the reverse in particular. Might come to a different conclusion with badge in hand.
What is its weight compared to a regular Gaunt OR's badge?

Rgds, Thomas
Old 29-06-18, 09:06 AM
MarkGD

Just a thought, is it silver? there was a penchant for that at one time, homemade by the blokes. Regards Mark
Old 29-06-18, 12:29 PM

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh ! they are breeding. why polish when you can chrome. this Gaunt example with recognised die flaws has a fair amount of wear which preceded its plating procedure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5255.jpg (93.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5256.jpg (98.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 29-06-18, 08:29 PM

Evening Chaps, may thanks for the replies so far.

I've had all my badges out that appear to have originated from a Gaunt die (and all those that didn't), and, having had the badge in question under 20x magnification, I'm not certain it was ever struck from sheet metal. I've attached another image with the contrast turned down slightly as the badge reflects light quite strongly. Note that around 50% of the badge is solid back with no lip. It is still the same thickness as other sheet metal badges but appears to have a lot of solid material around the edges particularly the wing tips, bottom of the wings, rigging lines. and the lion/crown. The lip at the top of the canopy is quite deep, so this isn't a thin one dimensional badge, but this becomes solid metal on the top edge of the wings at the lugs. It is also surprisingly light considering the amount of solid material. I've highlighted the 'hollow' areas of the badge with a red line. I have some chromed, lugged examples, like the one illustrated, but they look different alongside this one. The roughness on the back isn't dirt by the way and almost appears to have been a consequence of the manufacturing process. The surface is quite rough under magnification.

I'm still not convinced it's some fabulously rare pattern, or long-lost prototype, but it's certainly a bit different to all the patterns I've seen or handled down the years. I don't think it's a cunning fake either, and it definitely still has the look and feel of an original badge to me, so I won't consign it to the spares box just yet

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aP6280144.jpg (63.8 KB, 63 views)
Old 30-06-18, 09:16 AM

Graham,
the badge you have there certainly 'looks' anodised aluminium. For me one of the positive indicators is where the lugs have been slightly flattened during wear. This is commonly seen with lugged anodised aluminium badges. Where pressure is applied over time on the front and rear of the badges the loop of the lugs gets depressed - which is seen in the series of photos you've posted. This often presents in anodised trade badges and titles. The loops being of soft alloy will distort easily.

In all honesty if it is anodised aluminium it should be easily defined when being held in the hand.

Having said all of the above, this is of course without handling it myself, but it does seem very unusual. There is of course a well known kings crown anodised Parachute Regt badge with an unmarked slider which is generally considered unsavoury. Additionally, it is my understanding that there is no documentation known regarding such a beast. However a negative there does not preclude the existence of what you have posted.

Very interesting.

Regards all

Bess
Old 30-06-18, 09:07 PM

There are plenty of pre A/A badges with flattended lugs as well.

Rgds, Thomas
Old 01-07-18, 10:17 AM

Many thanks for your thoughts Bess. It's possible we may never get to the bottom of this particular badge, but, if I had to sum it up in one word, 'interesting' would definitely be a good choice.

Thomas, you're quite correct, this pattern of lug, usually copper, was used on many badges during WWII. I have an unusual variation of it on a KC Parachute Regiment beret badge but need to take some photos.

Regards,

Graham
Old 22-07-18, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontecagnano View Post
Evening Chaps, may thanks for the replies so far.

I've had all my badges out that appear to have originated from a Gaunt die (and all those that didn't), and, having had the badge in question under 20x magnification, I'm not certain it was ever struck from sheet metal. I've attached another image with the contrast turned down slightly as the badge reflects light quite strongly. Note that around 50% of the badge is solid back with no lip. It is still the same thickness as other sheet metal badges but appears to have a lot of solid material around the edges particularly the wing tips, bottom of the wings, rigging lines. and the lion/crown. The lip at the top of the canopy is quite deep, so this isn't a thin one dimensional badge, but this becomes solid metal on the top edge of the wings at the lugs. It is also surprisingly light considering the amount of solid material. I've highlighted the 'hollow' areas of the badge with a red line. I have some chromed, lugged examples, like the one illustrated, but they look different alongside this one. The roughness on the back isn't dirt by the way and almost appears to have been a consequence of the manufacturing process. The surface is quite rough under magnification.

I'm still not convinced it's some fabulously rare pattern, or long-lost prototype, but it's certainly a bit different to all the patterns I've seen or handled down the years. I don't think it's a cunning fake either, and it definitely still has the look and feel of an original badge to me, so I won't consign it to the spares box just yet

Graham
I have one of these in my collection, it is a Gaunt pattern badge with D shaped lugs and made of white metal. The partially filled in reverse could be the result of a worn die but it is just speculation. In my opinion it is a genuine Gaunt badge with an unusual reverse die stamping.

Cheers,
Jack