British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-06-18, 04:33 PM

Unhappy Bitting The Dust (somewhat)..

Hi Ladys & Lasses,

I write this letter with great sadness but wanted to share with the membership my reasoning being curtailing most of my badges collecting these last few months. From the emails/messages I've received many have enquired about some of my collections that I have sold over the months. I have reluctantly and dramatically cut back my badge collecting and wanted to share my reasons, in part to vent a little (sorry for this) and that dealers may also understand and perhaps learn something if they wish to (no judgment if they choose not too).

I'm English and live in the US, consequently I'm around 8 hours behind most of the membership and dealers based in the UK. I do realize I'm in the vast minority. For well over a decade I have diligently and excitedly checked all my favorite dealer websites each morning, it's the first thing I do over a coffee. My favorite sites being: Geoff Newman Military, Quartermasters, Dead Spartan, Minden, Endici, Castle, Walting, Empire, etc, etc. In general I have had great experiences with all of these dealers and have got to know most of them really well, buying some wonderful badges over the years. However there has always been one consistant feature that has plagued me over the years, and that is that most generally list there badges for sale early in the morning UK time. This has on numerous occasions left me pulling my hair out as checking first thing noting that the really special badge I have long looked and waiting patiently for, has already been sold and once again I have missed out.

I realize I'm in the minority and do understand you can't please all the people all the time and it would be impossible to find a time to hit all the time zones around the world. But I couldn't help thinking that listing items around around tea time in the UK would comfortably hit the two big markets (namely the UK and US). Or even just changing up listing times now and again while considering other parts of the world would just help balance things our a little and give the rest of us who don't live in Europe a little hope.

Okay that's my venting and please don't read too much into this, this is just my own very personal experience but one that has worn me down over many years. Although I still plan to collect to Shropshire regiments, the RWAFF and importantly Militia buttons, I will be doing this on a much more casual basis. I will very much plan to be part of the forum and I'm not going anywhere but will likely have less of a presence.

Well that's my 'tupence' worth for today. I don't normally share such personal experiences but as mentioned I have had a number of members/friends enquire, so felt it prudent to share my musings with the membership as a whole.

Happy collecting,

Cheers,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 28-06-18, 05:20 PM
LYPAO Boff

I feel for you Roy.... but miracles can happen.... chin up I missed a "most wanted" in 2008.... I have scanned all the dealers and the public auction site for months, years and a decade.... and it finally turned up this year and I got it. It makes it that much more special when you get it. Probably means bugger all to anyone else..... but its the thrill of the chase... and its now in its rightful place and on parade in the collection.

Good point about the dealers time slot.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 28-06-18, 05:28 PM

Hi Griff,

Thank you for that and well done. Yes, I have had some wonderful finds over the years, so grateful for that. The last few years have worn be down quite a bit I'm sad to say.

Although I've been a little down about my badges collecting (or lack there of) I'm certainly chipper in general as I just took delivery of my new Triumph..

I would love to see your special find, so if you wish Griff feel free to share a photo and 'lift' this thread a little.

Cheers,

Roy

Old 28-06-18, 05:56 PM
LYPAO Boff

Here it is ... its the post 1952... the last strike to the regiment A hens tooth...

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 28-06-18, 06:02 PM

Wonderful Griff,

A real treasure indeed, what a find. Lovely to see such 'teeth'.

Cheerio,

Roy

Old 29-06-18, 05:49 AM

Hi Roy
Yes, it can be frustrating when you miss out on that badge! It's a pity the dealer sites don't have a notification system to let you know when they have listed new items.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 29-06-18, 08:15 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Roy & Griff

Hi Guys, Roy Im sorry but being on the other side of the world I get to see most of your sites at breakfast time, about 10 hours ahead of GMT and 24 hrs in front of the USA. Ive also benefited from your sell off, thanks mate but sorry you feel so badly about it. At least you still have the Lee Speed and the Fairbairn Sykes knives.

Griff its a great find and I know how you feel when you pick up that special piece.

Regards

Phil.
Old 29-06-18, 09:17 AM

G'day Roy

Like everybody I feel your frustration when missing out on a badge or something else I have been chasing.

For all you other gents if you are in the Santa Fe area of New Mexico its worth catching up with Roy. I had the pleasure of having lunch with him about 6 weeks ago in his favourite bakery. Lovely gent, easy to chat with, and a wealth of knowledge.

Enjoy the wind in your hair on the Triumph (and your other special purchase) Roy

Regards

Dennis
Old 29-06-18, 10:41 AM

Doesn't this happen to everyone, you can go to a military fair and start at the wrong side of the hall and watch what you've looking for being bought by someone else, a lot of it is just being there or looking a the right time right place, so even if they updated their website that suited say your breakfast time you could still be beaten to it.
Old 29-06-18, 02:52 PM

Thank you Gents for all your thoughtful replies and comments,

As mentioned in my opening post, this was just a personal perspective. I understand we are all in the same boat to a greater or lesser extent and we have all lost out on special badges, after all to some extent this is the nature of collecting and I fully understand that.

I think for me personally, it has been many years of watching the same thing happen over and over again, and also as mentioned, it has just worn me down over 'many' years.

Collecting is certainly in my blood and it's not something I'm going to walk away from, I couldn't. But my attempts to put real effort, time and money into a collection of badges and create something special has been (from my perspective) somewhat more challenging that I would have liked or felt was reasonable, feeling rather thwarted more often than not and specifically in relation to UK based dealers listing times.

I can't help but feel that if UK dealers would change up listing times occasionally, then all of us non UK/EU collectors would have a little more hope. As for me then it's a little too late as I'm curtailing my badge collecting to just the couple of area that I don't want to walk away from.

Cheers,

Roy