British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-06-19, 08:27 AM

Default Royal Artillery cap badge

Good morning,

I recently bought this RA cap badge, to mount with my Granddad's WW2 medals (ex DEMS Gunner), as the one I originally purchased I now believe to be a fake/restrike.

However, this one has a wheel that rotates and I'm not sure of its age. Does a rotating wheel signify any specific era, or even issue to Officer / OR?

Whilst I appreciate this wasn't my Granddad's original cap badge, I'd like to mount one that is, at least, original and from the period 1939 - 45.

I've included a picture of my Grandad's medals, just so you know it's a genuine question.

Many thanks in advance.

John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic (1).jpg (53.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg pic (2).jpg (68.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg pic (3).jpg (68.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg pic (4).jpg (54.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Pic2.jpg (31.4 KB, 68 views)
Old 09-06-19, 09:21 AM

Lovely medal group, nice that you got the Arctic Star as well!

The badge you've posted is a campaign casting. The sort of badges that were made in India and Egypt to replace lost badges etc. Not the greatest example to have. You should be able to pick up a better one from any dealer.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 09-06-19, 09:21 AM

Hello John
That’s a nice medal display a nice tribute to your Grandad, with regards to the cap badge you show it looks (to me!) what’s known as a sand cast badge a cast copy of an original badge made locally as a replacement for a lost or damaged badge so would generally been worn in places like India and Far East etc so I guess if your grandfather had served in that sort of location then a chance he may of worn a cast badge maybe? but if you wanted a 100% cap badge for that period then it’s a common badge you should be able to get one, I don’t have a spare at the moment but a forum member might have one to sell, if not eBay has a number of ok ones, there are a few tell tale signs to look out for that are on fake RA badges so if you have a quick forum search or show a link to a badge it will get the ok or not.

Gerard
Old 09-06-19, 09:59 AM

Alex, Gerard,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll have a look round the forum and check out what to look for when buying a genuine WW2 RA cap badge.

Thanks for your comments re my Granddad's medals. I managed to get the Arctic emblem a number of years ago and then, when the Arctic Star was issued, managed to get that to add to the collection. Originally, I had to buy replacement Stars as my Granddad gave his medals away. Then, apparently, one of my dad's cousins said he had them. Long and short of it is, they are now with me. Whether or not they are the original issued medals I'll never know, at least the Arctic Star is though, as I took receipt of that from the MOD Medal Office.

Kind regards.

John.
Old 09-06-19, 11:20 AM

Cool RA sand cast badge

John,
Looking at your Grandfathers medals which are a lovely group I notice he had an African Star which means he could well have worn a sandcast cap badge during his service.
Rob
Old 10-06-19, 01:33 PM

Default RA sand cast badge

Cheers Rob,

Many thanks for all your replies gents. I've decided to keep the badge, having made a couple of trips to Africa, there's a chance my Granddad may well have needed a sand cast badge, you never know.

Kind regards,

John G.