British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-05-11, 04:38 PM

Default ? Croatian

Hi this badge has Zagreb on the back and came with some german nurse's bits, any ideas as to what it is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SA ZAGREB 001.jpg (41.2 KB, 49 views)
Old 21-05-11, 05:37 PM

Not much help but the Cyrillic letters translate to SPV - that's C (or S) as in Serbia
In these days when this was made I would imagine Zagreb was still firmly within Jugoslavia.
Old 21-05-11, 06:03 PM

Hi Mike, that's just me being stupid. Googled Zagreb and saw Croatia, just didn't bother to think. Sounds like the story of my life. Mike
Old 24-05-11, 12:29 PM

Hi
2nd Cavalry Regiment of Cossacks of Siberia engaged in the German army of the eastern front
there are a lot of copies
can you take a picture of the back ?
cordially
Didier

Last edited by Just; 24-05-11 at 02:33 PM.
Old 24-05-11, 02:36 PM

Hi, thanks for that. Very interesting unit. Just looked at their history on Cossack web. That explains the Jugoslavian connection. Will post a pic soon, Mike
Old 26-05-11, 12:25 PM

Hi Didier, here is a pic of the back, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SA TANKS and Cossack 001.jpg (35.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 27-05-11, 03:29 AM

Hi Mike
very rare original one
congrats
cordially
Didier
Old 27-05-11, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just View Post
Hi Mike
very rare original one
congrats
cordially
Didier
The one shown on Cossack Web (as well as many of his examples) is not correct as a WW2 piece. I personally know the owner of Cossack Web & he is aware of that. He is showing images taken from other places purely as examples, the Imperial period ones are predominately taken from an update of the Andolenko book. The original Siberian badges from the period are marked Knaus & Co & the post-WW2 veteran ones are marked Braca Knaus - there are slight differences from the front too, much like the Kononov crosses.
Regards...Andy
Old 27-05-11, 04:01 PM

Hi
this one is a good one ...as you can see from the maker mark the piece is Croatian-made by a major producer from the era, as this unit while from somewhere in the USSR was active in the Balkans
cordially
Didier
Old 27-05-11, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Hi
this one is a good one ...as you can see from the maker mark the piece is Croatian-made by a major producer from the era, as this unit while from somewhere in the USSR was active in the Balkans
cordially
Didier
But as I already said, they made them in Croatia during & AFTER the war with a VARIATION in the makers name - please re-read my previous post! Yes, 'somewhere in USSR' is actually Siberia but the units were made up of cossacks from other regions plus other emigres & captured red army troops. I have a set of original photos from this regiment with this insignia but which belonged to a cossack from a different region.
Then again what do I know coming from a Cossack family!!!
Old 27-05-11, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Hi
cordially
Didier
But as I already said, they made them in Croatia during & AFTER the war with a VARIATION in the makers name - please re-read my previous post! Yes, 'somewhere in USSR' is actually Siberia but the units were made up of cossacks from other regions plus other russian emigres & captured red army troops. I have a set of original photos from this regiment with this insignia but which belonged to a cossack from a different region.
Then again what do I know coming from a Cossack family!!!
Old 27-05-11, 05:34 PM

But then again, posting it on a german badge forum & asking what others think then coming back here to report that 2 people have said it's original is probably the best way to do it! In fact you have just copied what someone else said about it LOL!!
Unfortunately all these 'experts' have not had access to the cossack archives that I have & held many of these badges in their hands - I best leave you to it & not give advice again!
Old 27-05-11, 05:49 PM

Hi cosaque
can you show us some good badges, WW2 era ?
thanks
cordially
Didier
Old 27-05-11, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Hi cosaque
can you show us some good badges, WW2 era ?
thanks
cordially
Didier
Why? just so you can post the images on another forum & take the credit for them LOL! I have badges & photos that even Mollo (if you know who I am referring to without googling it) had begged to put into his books.
For example, there are other badges & insignia of that era that have never been shown being worn in photos. I have original photos of them being worn & the items too. There are now also excellent copies of badges which people on the German forums are claiming to be original as well so best that you continue to take their advice! I already stated above what the proper marking should be but you prefer not to read that but post the pictures & get some backing for your claim. This isn't the way to learn about insignia. I have learnt from the best, the original owners of these items!
Old 27-05-11, 06:32 PM

Hi, I've no idea what you two are talking about, all I can add is that it came from a British nurse working in Berlin 1947 with a couple of german nurse's items, and cost next to nothing, Mike