British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-03-08, 11:19 PM

Default German items

Although I am not myself a fan of German badges, I have sometimes had to identify a few items for catalogue purposes. These eagles, for example, are presumably army and air force versions - the Luftwaffe eagle being the one that is flying!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OBLI7324.jpg (79.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 25-03-08, 05:49 AM
Banned

CORRECT for the luftwaffe eagle the other is for the veterans org. As I collect this stuff pass on any questions you may have be glad to help

PAUL
Old 25-03-08, 12:07 PM

Hello Paul,

Here are some more items from the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry Museum - presumably war trophies. The WWI belt buckle is obvious enough, while I assume that the badge with the AA gun was worn by a Luftwaffe flak gunner. The cloth badge is more of a mystery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OBLI7344.jpg (52.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg OBLI7355.jpg (48.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg OBLI7557.jpg (30.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 25-03-08, 06:14 PM

Default municipal Police

It appears to be a Municipal Police arm badge for the city of Coesfeld.
Old 25-03-08, 11:21 PM
Banned

CORRECT on all accounts LUFTWAFFE FLAK pocket award, and Police sleeve insigina.

PAUL
Old 26-03-08, 01:35 PM

I'm a bit worried about the indications of fire damage on the flak badge - one wonders what happened to the original wearer?
Old 26-03-08, 05:39 PM
Banned

At wars end allot of uniforms where simply burned and this decoration may have been rescued.

PAUL
Old 24-05-08, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley_C_Jenkins View Post
I'm a bit worried about the indications of fire damage on the flak badge - one wonders what happened to the original wearer?

The black is the original colour of the metal being zink which over the years is repeling the silver finish.

The white 'blossum' effect is known as 'zink pest' and is zink metal corrosion.

A light coating of vasaline will prevent further damage.

My main collecting area is not Luftwaffe but Kreigsmarine and Heer (Army) badges.

Regards

Chris
Old 24-05-08, 06:52 PM
Banned

of the the pocket badges the flak was the best made till the end and must say have never come across one with zink damage of the luft type anyhow without in hand would doubt this to be zink damage

PAUL
Old 24-05-08, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbear View Post
of the the pocket badges the flak was the best made till the end and must say have never come across one with zink damage of the luft type anyhow without in hand would doubt this to be zink damage

PAUL
Hi Paul,

Early badges (all services) were tombak to start with followed by zink as the years went on. The problem for us TR collectors is that zink badges will repel it's finish as years go by and this includes early zink badges that were even silver plated. This shows as a bubbling effect where the plate is being forced off. This is a later zink badge that has been given a silver 'wash'and over the years has repelled this finish in large areas showing the original dark zink metal.

This is the main reason why I concentrate on early badges and not the later zink ones.

The white 'bloom'is the zink oxidising due to at some stage the badge being stored in a damp environment. If not treated, the badge will eventually turn to a pile of white dust.

Regards

Chris
Old 25-05-08, 06:06 PM
Banned

Yes I understnd well and that is great info for the newbies. For myself been around for awhile and as I stated above the luft flak maintained a good quality even in zink and I believe the badge presented is not from zink rot although all you state is perfectly correct in every sense and should be noted for the collector also join a good forum and ask and post pics for opinions before buying

PAUL

Last edited by guest_000; 27-05-08 at 04:49 AM.
Old 26-05-08, 12:09 PM

Some nice badges there.

As Chris pointed out, it certainly does appear to be "Zinc Pest" on the LW Flak, judging by the colour and texture anyhow. It's worth gently picking of the worst of it using a toothpick, give it a gentle bath in warm water and mild soap, then dry thoroughly. Chris's suggestion of a light coating of vaseline is probably the best way to prevent it from getting worse...that and ensuring it's kept in a dry, clean storage place. It's unfavourable storage conditions that usually initiate and aggravate the corrosion.
Old 26-05-08, 11:50 PM

Hello,

The Luft Flak is a zinc ‘ball-hinge’ by the yet unknown maker. However, it is thought to have probable connections to one of the Gablonz makers.

These are actually one of the nicest looking badges of the Luft Flak badge makers.

In addition I would tend to agree with Chris and Adam to the ends that it would appear to be zinc pest proper and not the superficial white oxidation, which is a different process concerning zinc alloys. In my opinion what is evident is a depiction of intercrystalline corrosion; light brushing with a tooth brush and indeed use of a cocktail stick on the affected areas and an application of vaseline would be a inhibitive measure for a duration and subsequently thereafter it would have to be treated once or twice a year perhaps - environment dependent.

Zinc pest degradation is irreversible, so such an undertaking will subdue visual signs and it’s my understanding to some limited extent stem to the effect thus prolonging the badges life as it were.

Kr

Marcus
Old 27-05-08, 05:09 AM

Hi Marcus,

Didn't know British Badges were your thing.

Regards

Chris
Old 27-05-08, 09:50 AM
Banned

well zinkers are only picked up by type collectors in great condition and collectors unders financial restraints normally for a starter. Now to condone applying water, brushing applying heat and then petroleum product to these badges is just plain nonesense. If they are that bad you don't waste your money for a start but if you have it drop into your lap and want to have it around for awhile just put it in its case and enjoy it while you have it , why speed up the process which is all I hear in the last few posts,I even have a bag of white gloves at the entrance to the german and cef room and all who put a pr on. But anyhow carry on adam et al get those zinkers cleaned up that heat expansion in the pores will do wonders when you dry them out bit worried about the soap residue oh well that should adhere to the petroleum jelly and maybe interact with whatever chems are in that. Guys there are some things you need to leave and let live they have done their time IMO and that FLAK posted would be one not to be touched