British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-09-16, 04:22 PM

Default US postal service question - badge misdirected

Hi all,
A packet with a couple of badges meant for me and sent via Intl Signed For from UK to India has landed up in the US. I suspect the dealer wrote IN in the country address or maybe somebody read INDIA as Indiana ..Either way Royal Mail tracker says its at O'Hare Airport Chicago for the past several days..

Will it be redirected and get back safely to India? I am a little concerned as though it's not really very expensive they are badges which I really wanted badly and it would be a shame if they're lost/misplaced. Can my fellow collectors in the US let me know what are the chances of getting the badges safely delivered.

I could ask for a refund from the buyer but I would rather have the badges.. earlier one of my badges ended up in Italy but was redirected and got home safely..hoping I will be be lucky again..
Old 12-09-16, 07:39 PM

India via the United States, clearly the way forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
Hi all,
A packet with a couple of badges meant for me and sent via Intl Signed For from UK to India has landed up in the US. I suspect the dealer wrote IN in the country address or maybe somebody read INDIA as Indiana ..Either way Royal Mail tracker says its at O'Hare Airport Chicago for the past several days..

Will it be redirected and get back safely to India? I am a little concerned as though it's not really very expensive they are badges which I really wanted badly and it would be a shame if they're lost/misplaced. Can my fellow collectors in the US let me know what are the chances of getting the badges safely delivered.

I could ask for a refund from the buyer but I would rather have the badges.. earlier one of my badges ended up in Italy but was redirected and got home safely..hoping I will be be lucky again..
Old 12-09-16, 09:17 PM

I would anticipate all efforts will be made to get the package moving in the right direction again. It may end up at the Customs sorting center in Chicago for a bit. If not lost things move pretty well through the USPS. With all that said let us hope for the best.
Jack
Old 13-09-16, 02:41 AM

If you are lucky it will be returned to the sender. I had one like that that took several weeks to go back to the sender.

You are lucky that it is Chicago, new York customs would be another story.

The on the US postal site there is a place to sign up for e mail up dates on any move. You might give it a try to see if it will work for you.

John
Old 13-09-16, 01:10 PM

thanks all,
Fingers crossed! Let's hope it gets here safely..
Old 13-09-16, 02:33 PM

Fingers crossed for you

Has anyone in the UK ever been successful in contacting the Mail enquiries element of USPS from outside US? The email address and any other links fail to work in my experience. In fact, despite the fact a US dealer supplied tracking and proof of postage details when posting an item to me, he failed to get any explanation for loss of the package, even after going to the local head office in person. As for my attempts from over here in the UK - I failed to find a way to contact anyone. The tracking suggests it never even left the depot it was deposited at. The badge is still missing - probably 18 months later. In fairness the dealer fully reimbursed me at cost to himself.

USPS - Utterly Shambolic Postal Service in my experience. I sincerely wish you luck.

If anyone has had a better experience it would be good to hear where we may have been going wrong
Old 13-09-16, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Fingers crossed for you

Has anyone in the UK ever been successful in contacting the Mail enquiries element of USPS from outside US? The email address and any other links fail to work in my experience. In fact, despite the fact a US dealer supplied tracking and proof of postage details when posting an item to me, he failed to get any explanation for loss of the package, even after going to the local head office in person. As for my attempts from over here in the UK - I failed to find a way to contact anyone. The tracking suggests it never even left the depot it was deposited at. The badge is still missing - probably 18 months later. In fairness the dealer fully reimbursed me at cost to himself.

USPS - Utterly Shambolic Postal Service in my experience. I sincerely wish you luck.

If anyone has had a better experience it would be good to hear where we may have been going wrong
Am sorry to hear of these less than desirable results. I have used the USPS to ship badges to other forum members in the U.K and have not had any problems as of yet. Hopefully the original poster will also receive a good result even though the conditions are a bit different.

Have used both signed for reciept type posting as well as simple international air mail post. Both have worked so far however the signed for option is considerably more expensive.
Jack
Old 13-09-16, 05:27 PM

Thanks Jack
I hope my experience is not common (particularly as signed for was used) - but for an overseas purchaser it is frustrating not to be able to 'get into' the USPS system when things do go wrong. It places extra reliance on sellers such as yourself, but you appear to be the sort of person who would go the extra mile to sort things out ...
I guess I am going off at a tangent anyway as the original post (by Khyber) does not appear to be an error initiated by USPS, although it may require them to resolve it if the package is now in their system
Old 13-09-16, 11:38 PM

Default USPS

The USPS is no way connect to the US Custom Service. In fact they will tell you that the customs are not required to scan a great number of the packets that pass through them. If customs has it then the postal service can not tell you anything about it. This was told to me my a postal rep.

I would use the web site to get the tracking. You put in the tracking number and click on the tab for future movements. They send it to the e mail you put in.

John

PS: I have used both UK and the French postal tracking

Last edited by John L; 13-09-16 at 11:40 PM. Reason: added info
Old 14-09-16, 07:03 AM

John L and all
Sorry to slightly hijack the thread - but tracking is OK, however when you see it not moving what do you do? I found the email address did not work when I tried to use it - it required local US address Zip codes etc. not relevant to overseas recipient (eg in UK) Has this changed?
Only asking in case anyone else can share a solution useful to Forum Members in a similar situation.
No problem with other countries I have used, just USA.
Mike
Old 14-09-16, 11:33 PM

Mike,

Try this link. The number in is one that I know have.

If you look on the right hand side there is says available actions. It does not ask for regular address only e mail. There three choices to pick from. I have use this on the future activity.

If it is not moving in could be either just slow or lost[stolen?].

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfi...=LB234696311GB

John
Old 16-09-16, 05:27 PM

John
Very many thanks - yes, that looks familiar. I signed up for email up dates too but it remains as dead as a Dodo. May be I was unlucky. Thanks for the trouble taken to post this though - it is appreciated
Regards
Mike