British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-05-21, 06:58 AM

Default Royal Marines Cap/Beret Badges

I have three RM cap/beret badges, in three different brass quality/colour. All with the King's Crown. Can anyone date the change of Crown size please?
The larger I suspect is the earlier. Recently cleaned for display mounting, being an ex-Bootneck I couldn't help myself.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RM BERET x 3.jpg (86.4 KB, 100 views)
Old 06-05-21, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadalpha View Post
I have three RM cap/beret badges, in three different brass quality/colour. All with the King's Crown. Can anyone date the change of Crown size please?
The larger I suspect is the earlier. Recently cleaned for display mounting, being an ex-Bootneck I couldn't help myself.........
Wow, they are shiny. The one on the left is WW2 period production, the other two were worn from 1923 until 1951.
Old 07-05-21, 10:39 AM

Default RM Cap/Beret Badges

Thank you 1664 - do you know the year when the Crown size changed to the smaller version?
When I joined the Corps, if was brass it was polished beyond belief! The anodised issue in '64 came straight out of a cereal box, any scratches on your badge, and you were told to buy another.
Old 07-05-21, 12:10 PM

Indeed. Once you get the anodised badge in your N01 Hat, its never coming out again lol
Old 08-05-21, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadalpha View Post
Thank you 1664 - do you know the year when the Crown size changed to the smaller version?
When I joined the Corps, if was brass it was polished beyond belief! The anodised issue in '64 came straight out of a cereal box, any scratches on your badge, and you were told to buy another.
Both were in use at the same time, but the bigger crown only appears in WW2