British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-03-21, 07:51 AM

I have never actually seen a single example like that before, they tend to have a circular, or, on occasion, a rectangular hole, although, I have seen a similar Welsh Regiment without a hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Trust me it doesn’t.
Old 08-03-21, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Most ‘original’ and ‘genuine’ badges on eBay in fact aren’t. Sellers descriptions can work both ways. Buy every badge on its merits not on who the seller is or their story/description.

Note the small protrusion of metal on the (viewers) left plume from the front. This is seen on all the genuine curly scroll type, even the one is Alan’s album - https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ictureid=62188 . Both badges are from the same die.
Looks like these two badges were produced from the same dies, albeit a little more definition to the reverse of the scroll.
One small sweat hole, to the rear of the coronet (badge picked up at Granta Stamps & Coins, Magdelene Bridge, Cambridge, June 1991).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210308_133323~2.jpg (57.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20210308_133330~2.jpg (43.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20210308_133341~2.jpg (44.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-03-21, 04:26 PM

Very typical circular hole evident with this example!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Looks like these two badges were produced from the same dies, albeit a little more definition to the reverse of the scroll.
One small sweat hole, to the rear of the coronet (badge picked up at Granta Stamps & Coins, Magdelene Bridge, Cambridge, June 1991).
Old 09-03-21, 01:12 PM

It is very interesting to note the regimental associations display of cap badges, which includes a white metal crown variant as well as an Indian made example of this badge.
They state that "there is widespread evidence of the use of the rolled badge by both officers and soldiers during the Great War" the terms "rolled" and "wavy" are used by them to distinguish between the straight or "hanging" scroll ends of the Ich Dien motto used upon the original pattern.
It is also particularly interesting to note the reproductions of the cap badges, including the rolled wavy scroll badge that is the subject of this thread, I assume it is perhaps an example of their own badge that are available for £5 each.
Old 10-03-21, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Here's my example.
Identical strike marks on the lower title,but no sweat hole behind the coronet.
There's a brazing flash between the I & E. A poor quality badge,along the lines of a Lambourne item.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leinster 1.jpg (85.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg leinster 2.jpg (91.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-06-21, 06:24 AM

Has anyone got an example of the five quid copy shown at the bottom of the image with the other three copies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
It is very interesting to note the regimental associations display of cap badges, which includes a white metal crown variant as well as an Indian made example of this badge.
They state that "there is widespread evidence of the use of the rolled badge by both officers and soldiers during the Great War" the terms "rolled" and "wavy" are used by them to distinguish between the straight or "hanging" scroll ends of the Ich Dien motto used upon the original pattern.
It is also particularly interesting to note the reproductions of the cap badges, including the rolled wavy scroll badge that is the subject of this thread, I assume it is perhaps an example of their own badge that are available for £5 each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capbadges.jpg (37.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 07-06-21, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Has anyone got an example of the five quid copy shown at the bottom of the image with the other three copies?
The copies of these have a reverse impression of the lettering in The Leinster scroll like. The Ich Dein scrolls also have ‘ends’ rather than remaining open as on the real ones.

Here is a pic of one steelback48 sold on eBay along with a load of other repros claiming on here they were old stock!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 68411C43-F9A7-4771-90D8-19C1010B43C4.jpeg (77.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpeg 6ABDC1FB-CFCD-47C9-B3C3-5E131C41C3FB.jpeg (77.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-06-21, 07:11 AM

I would certainly be interested to see the examples sold by the association, it may well be the same or similar, I suppose I should put my hand in my pocket and order one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
The copies of these have a reverse impression of the lettering in The Leinster scroll like. The Ich Dein scrolls also have ‘ends’ rather than remaining open as on the real ones.

Here is a pic of one steelback48 sold on eBay along with a load of other repros claiming on here they were old stock!
Old 08-06-21, 07:41 AM

I contacted the Leinster Regiment association some time ago to see if they had any images in their collection of the curly scroll badge being worn. They stated they did not but again told me it was worn during WW1.

I’ve no idea what they’re selling but would be interested to see too.