British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-11-11, 05:40 PM

Default VTC Mufti Badges

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have just created a new album titled, naturally enough, VTC Mufti badges. These are the 74 mufti badges I own, out of the 125ish that I know about. I think there are probably as many again...

The London and Manchester areas (what would now be the 'Greater' metropolitan areas) feature strongly, but the British Isles is widely represented.

I would welcome your comments, particularly as there are a few badges in there that might be suspect. A good example is the London Civic Guard, which Hugh King featured in a VTC mufti article in the MHS Bulletin, but which has since been identified as WW2 rather than WW1. Some of the Rifle Club badges are of the right period and the right construction, but I'm not always 100% sure.

I am very keen to expand the collection, if only the collection of photographs. I will gratefully receive pictures of any that I don't have, either for my use only, or to post alongside those featured...

Thanks, all. I look forward to any observations, contributions, or comments you might care to make.

Best regards,
Tim
Old 01-11-11, 06:27 PM

Fantastic stuff once again Tim. If we get to Bromley I'll introduce you to a fellow collector.
Old 01-11-11, 06:32 PM

Superb collection Thankyou for sharing it. Kevin
Old 01-11-11, 08:21 PM

Hi Tim,
I'd like to add my Congratulations too. A pleasure to view your collection.
I do not see the Central Association VTC lapel badge. I have one if you want a picture.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 01-11-11, 10:51 PM

Hi Tim.

Marvellous.

It's a pleasure for me to see such a collection, as I know less than absolutley nothing in respect of these various units.

Thanks for sharing
Regards
Brian
Old 02-11-11, 04:56 AM

Hi Tim

Fantastic collection, and thanks for showing it. May I also add that the photo's are excellent.

I know this has been mentioned before, but I will ask again. Are there any VTC lists per county, or related articles that anyone knows about?

Regards, Neil
Old 02-11-11, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Pearce View Post
Hi Tim

Fantastic collection, and thanks for showing it. May I also add that the photo's are excellent.

I know this has been mentioned before, but I will ask again. Are there any VTC lists per county, or related articles that anyone knows about?

Regards, Neil
There would have been list of VTC unit's throughout the UK, based on each County, as each individual "independent Corps" opted to join the C.A.V.T.C.. Their individual titles were then dropped and "V.T.C" added to their title - thus Newcastle-on-Tyne Citizens Training League, became Newcastle-on-Tyne V.T.C.. Those individual independent Corps which opted not to join the C.A.V.T.C., were obliged to disband.

The list would grow as new V.T.Corps were formed within the framework of the C.A.V.T.C.. On the formation of the Volunteer Force in 1916, the process of re-organisation began, in which County Volunteer Regiment, with Battalion's, Companies, Platoon's & Section's were formed from those V.T.C. units.

However because a new oath had to be sworn by each Volunteer, some of the V.T.C. units then in existence, either became depleted and/or as a whole decided not to continue and they too were disbanded.

I have the ORBAT of the Volunteer Force as it stood in late 1918, but to this day, I've been unable to find a comprehensive list of C.A.V.T.C. units then in existence in late 1915 early 1916. The closest thing I have is my list of all of those individual Corps and VTC units found throughout Northumberland & Durham for the same period.
Old 02-11-11, 04:02 PM

Excellent collection, Tim. Thanks for sharing.

Can I ask you have you ever come across any reference to what was worn by the Glasnevin VTC here in Dublin?

Regards,

Dave
Old 02-11-11, 06:26 PM

Default Glasnevin VTC

Dave,

Travelling at the moment, so no access to any of my archives, but I'm pretty sure that although I've come across mention of the Glasnevin VTC several times, I've not seen - or had described - their cap badge.

There was an article in MHS Bulletin (Number 194?) that talked about the Irish VTC units, and I think that Glasnevin was mentioned. About 10 badges were also pictured, and Glasnevin wasn't one of them.

With probably only one exception (Loyal Dublin Volunteers), Irish VTC badges are very rare...

Sorry I can't help, but would be very interested in whatever you do find out!

Best regards,
Tim
Old 03-11-11, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule-73k View Post
Excellent collection, Tim. Thanks for sharing.

Can I ask you have you ever come across any reference to what was worn by the Glasnevin VTC here in Dublin?

Regards,

Dave
Don't know if you are aware of this, but some members of the Dublin based VTC were killed and wounded on the side of the Crown forces, during the Easter Rising in 1916. Whether or not they were entitled to a Commonwealth War Grave I couldn't say.

If any pre-1916 newpapers still exit in Dublin then it would be a good source for finding what units existed in Ireland at that time.
Old 03-11-11, 08:00 PM

Hi Guys,

Yes, Graham you are right about the Dublin VTC losing people. There is a grave to one of them in the Grangegorman Grave yard in Dublin. This is a British Army grave yard cared for by the WGC and the Irish Office of Public Works. He does not have a war grave but has a private headstone showing the 'generic' VTC badge engraved on it.

Tim, I have badges to the Dublin VTC, the Cork VTC, Kingstown and District VTC, Irish Rugby Union VTC and the Loyal Dublin Vols. I am away in the states till the last week in the month, but would be happy to photograph them for you on my return.

I am looking for information on the Loyal Dublin Vols, I understand that they went into the Inniskillen Fus. But who were they?

Regards,

Dave
Old 03-11-11, 10:43 PM

Default Loyal Dublin Volunteers

Dave,

Would love to get the pictures! You've got some rare ones there...

Regarding the LDV, I posted this in an earlier thread:

"My information, from the Bulletin of the Military Historical Society, is that the LDV were affiliated to the UVF, and recruited from Orange lodges and other Protestant fraternities in the city centre, South Co Dublin and North Co Wicklow, and wore a khaki uniform. For once the www is almost completely blank on the subject. Irish VTC badges are very scarce, with LDV probably being the exception..."

Still digging, but if I come across anything more, I'll let you know.

Best regards,
Tim,
Old 03-11-11, 11:08 PM

There was an article in the MHS Journal about the badges of the Irish VTC's

Issue 194 in November 1998. Tom Wylie, pages 82-84. Is this the one you refer to Tim?

I don't have a copy I'm afraid.

Regards, Neil
Old 04-11-11, 03:20 AM

Thanks guys for the information. I just find these units so interesting.

I'll do the photos when I get home, Tim. PM me around the 25th of the month if you do'nt hear from me, because I've got a head like a sive sometimes.

Regards,

Dave
Old 04-11-11, 06:08 AM

If I remember correctly from my research into Northumberland & Durham VTC units, there was a 'whip-round' among the C.A.V.T.C. to assist the families of those killed and wounded. This was because as the VTC had no official recognition at the time and as it was a civil uprising those killed and injured weren't entitled to any form of financial assistance.

After the 1916 Rising - Irish VTC units began to disappear and I think I'm correct in saying that no Volunteer Force equivalent was formed in Ireland, hence not appearing in the later ORBATS.

I think I'm also correct in saying that at this time Dublin had one of the largest protestant populations outside of the North.