British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-05-16, 08:36 PM

I'm so sorry To hear this sad news. Even though I'm not collecting like I was a few years back, I always kept in touch with Dave and had the privilege of meeting him and his lovely wife on a couple of occasions after going to the NMA on the motorbike. A genuinely nice guy, and a proper engineer in the highest traditions of he West Midlands. He had battled a lot of ill health over the last few years, but kept the chin up throughout. It was an honour to know him and count him as a friend.
Rest easy sir.

John
Old 09-05-16, 08:44 PM

Have just seen this sad post !
What can I say that has not been said already ? A very sad loss indeed. My sincere condolences to Kath and the family. We will all miss him. Jeff
Old 09-05-16, 10:28 PM

There is little more that I can add to that already expressed by other members.
We have chatted on several occasions, had a brew together and had a laugh.

At a fair one day 3 or 4 years ago, I told him I would make him a new walking stick. I made him a sturdy stick of twisted Ash with an antler handle. The stick was a gift from me to him

The next time he did a couple of repairs for me, he didn't charge, he wouldn't accept a penny piece even though I insisted.

A real Gent.

Condolences to Kath and the family at this very sad time.

Regards
Brian
Old 10-05-16, 09:08 AM

A great loss. RIP.
Old 10-05-16, 10:29 AM

Very shocked to hear the sad news about Dave’s passing. Not much I can add that hasn't been said already. His was a true Gent who would always go that extra mile for you and his generosity knew no bounds. His skill in repairing badges was that of a real craftsman. The repair had to be perfect otherwise he just wasn't happy.
I count myself lucky to have known Dave and will fondly remember the laughs we had.

Also, a big thank you to Andy and Ivan for letting us know. Also, Andy – thanks for sorting out the repairs that will be sat in Dave’s workshop. That is one less thing for Kath and the family to worry about.

Please pass on my sincere condolences to Kath and the family

Ian
Old 10-05-16, 04:39 PM

Sad news, my condolences.

Thomas.
Old 10-05-16, 05:54 PM

While on vacation from Canada on two separate occasions, I dropped in on Dave. I found he and Kath to be excellent hosts. I can also attest to the repairs he made for me were as others have attested to, A1 Perfect! A great guy who will be sorely missed. David Jeffrey.
Old 10-05-16, 06:28 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Rest in peace Dave. I will miss your friendship.
Old 10-05-16, 06:37 PM

Default Dave C

Dave was one of those guys that wore his heart on his sleeve. Totally genuine, said what he thought and was proud of it. He enjoyed life and was very genourous with his thoughts and deeds. I have been going through emails exchanged with Dave over the years and he was always supportive and always the gentleman. I think his strap line to all his posts sums Dave up:

A man is only as tall as the sum of his deeds !

By Dave`s own words i reckon he is a giant among`st us and i feel very privileged to have known him.

My sympathies are extended to Kath for her sad loss.

He will be missed. Rest in peace Dave but don`t go upsetting St Peter at the pearly gates, unlike the badge forum, his decision is final!!!!!

My thoughts are prayers are with you.

Dave

Last edited by Deejayuu; 10-05-16 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-05-16, 07:43 PM

I have only just heard the sad news of Dave's passing. I never did get to meet him but he repaired a fair few badges for me all to his usual exacting standards. I hope that Kath gets all the support that he needs at this sad time.

Rest in peace, Dave.
Old 10-05-16, 08:01 PM

I've just seen this post,

And I'm truly sorry to read of such a really nice all round guy passing on.

We never lose the people we love, they live with us in our hearts for the rest of our lives.

I too had a number of repairs, expertly repaired by Dave, and was lucky enough to meet both him & Kath on a trip to Stratford upon Avon. I knew of his illness like all of you and didn't want to burden him with my repairs as he was having lots of problems with his illness.

My very deepest condolences go out to Kath & their family.

Dave !! You will always be remembered here with affection, admiration, friendship and your banter.

I can say this without a doubt;

"You always kept the baddies at bay or on the back foot"

RIP Dave and you will always, always be in our thoughts.

We will still be talking of you, about you and with you over the coming years ahead and your workmanship will be admired for many years to come.

See you on the other side Buddy

Last edited by Fatboy Ken; 10-05-16 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-05-16, 11:30 AM

Message for all forum members from Andy Plewa:

Thank you to all those who have been in contact (of which there are many), I have tried to reply to as many people as possible, however I apologise if I have missed someone!

As you can imagine Kath and the family are full with grief and are still waiting on the inevitable bureaucracy that goes with such a sad occasion, before arrangements can be made and finalised.

Kath thanks those who have relayed their messages and Dave would have liked his friends to be at the funeral, so when a date is set I shall pass it on, along with details of flowers, donations etc, etc.. It probably won't be available until early next week.

As for repairs and their return, I will sort through things as and when, so please be patient as I'm sure you will!

Regards

Andy
Old 12-05-16, 06:30 PM

What a loss to the collecting fraternity. I was looking at some badges I got off Dave just a few weeks ago and realising that it can't happen again. I had a few dealings with him and found him a decent honest upright individual, indeed he apologised to me for something he'd said to others. It didn't worry me in the least, but that's the sort of man he was. He was obviously concerned that I'd take umbrage. He'll be massively missed. RIP.

Ian H
Old 13-05-16, 07:17 PM

I sent Dave an e-mail just a few days ago, but I never expected to hear this.
Please pass om my condolances to Kath and the family and friends if you have the opportunity.

I'm going to miss the old man, not just his knowledge or his badge repair skills or his honesty. I'm also going to miss his handwritten Christmas cards that were always delivered a month early.
Old 14-05-16, 09:25 AM

I've only just discovered this news and am truly saddened and shocked. My deepest condolences to Kath and family. I will miss his friendship. RIP Dave.