British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Military Book and Media Reviews

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-09-17, 07:17 AM

Default BBC - "Last Post"

Not a very convincing image. Mike

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5133742/...r/rm4244447744
Old 18-09-17, 07:20 AM

You'd think they could do better.
Badge looks like it should be on a wall plaque anyway, the size of the thing.
Old 18-09-17, 07:58 AM

Oversize cap badge centre reads "RMP" not EIIR ?

Sam Browne belt with KD on active service?

SMG sling is wrong?

Yellow backed officers pips?

Did RMP officers wear soldiers SD caps with red covers?

Who is the military advisor ??

Tim
Old 18-09-17, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Oversize cap badge centre

Who is the military advisor ??

Tim
Obviously no-one.
Old 18-09-17, 10:01 AM

Many TV series and films no longer identify actors as being from particular organisations and don't use custom designed badges which are worn by those organisations. So, these "faults" could be intended. For example, the Met. Police and Greater Manchester Police will no longer allow actors to wear their badges or other corporate items, which actually identify the actors as representing those organisations. The Met. Police MAY grant a licence to use its corporate image but they demand to see the script beforehand and if they approve of it will grant permission and demand a hefty fee for doing so. Failure to comply will result in a threat of legal action for infringing their intellectual property rights. This will almost certainly apply also to the MoD. So, I suspect most film makers etc., find it easier to simply replace the insignia with something similar but not the same.

Dave.
Old 18-09-17, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
,................... The Met. Police MAY grant a licence to use its corporate image but they demand to see the script beforehand and if they approve of it will grant permission and demand a hefty fee for doing so. Failure to comply will result in a threat of legal action for infringing their intellectual property rights...................

Dave.
"Been there".
Some years ago whilst based abroad I bought a sea-going inflatable for an Australian charity for use in a multi-national triathlon event.
Via a colleague in my home force I requested an image of the force crest to be emailed to me so that it could be used as a stencil design to be painted on the vessel along with the force name.
The charity would put an entry about the force & place a link on their web site to the the force site
The (civilian) lady in charge of the relevant department advised that it would cost a few thousand quid for the crest to be be used & that to use it without making payment would result in legal action being taken.
I didn't feel like paying an additional few thou to the force in order to persuade them to accept good, free PR so the vessel was named after a colleague's daughter instead.

Irrelevant rant over. Almost. Can't see it'd have happened if a copper'd been the person making the decision.
Old 22-09-17, 06:46 AM

Jessica Raine certainly looks very convincing to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Old 30-09-17, 08:03 AM

I'm glad to see that it was filmed in Cape Town. We can use the money !
Mike
Old 30-09-17, 08:37 AM

"Bluestone 42" was filmed north of Cape Town wasnt it?
See, that was the BBC producing some some good military stuff there.
Old 30-09-17, 12:44 PM

Bluestone 42 - never heard of it. Was it also a TV series ? I'll look it up. Cape Town has become a popular place to make films and adverts. It has a wide variety of different locations and I guess pretty cheap compared to many other places. We don't get to see much of what is produced sadly.
When one drives to Stellenbosch from Cape Town you cannot miss the two large "pirate ships ' built on a film set for the American series, Black Sails. I'm sure that didn't follow history too faithfully but made money and entertained lots of folk around the world.
This thread started with a discussion of how film makers tend to stray from historical accuracy when it came to badges and equipment. As a collector, I think that this is a good thing. I would hate to have any more "good"fakes around to contend with. In any event, you can only comment on the inaccuracies to other collectors. The uninitiated don't really care !
Old 30-09-17, 04:07 PM

"Bluestone" used SA army equipment in lieu of British as I recall - small arms & possibly uniforms, can't remember now. A series, knocked on the head with the"new broom" approach of a new broom head of this that or other BBC department (despite Wikipedia's assertions that it's demise was due to other reasons such as the withdrawal of British forces from Afghanistan).
Whatever it's faults I liked it, partly because I recognise all the characters (as with "Auf Wiedersein Pet") from my own army service - I was in the army with all of the characters of both series.
Well, ok, not the female characters, they weren't on issue back then.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PjQvj9OTa0E

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fQZTIDOOz48

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 30-09-17 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-10-17, 06:22 AM

Had a look at episode 1. Very entertaining. As you say, you can recognise the characters ( no matter which army you were in ). No girls in my day so the dynamics were somewhat different.
Thanks for the link.
Regards
Mike
Old 09-10-17, 07:56 AM

A most depressing Sunday evening, as far as television went, having watched David Jason and his Sandringham's get wiped out, to then see a special forces operation go so badly wrong, was too much to endure!
Old 09-10-17, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
A most depressing Sunday evening, as far as television went, having watched David Jason and his Sandringham's get wiped out, to then see a special forces operation go so badly wrong, was too much to endure!
I watched about 10 minutes of last nights episode, during which the completely poor British forces were mown down down to a man, except possibly one who climbed a cliff to escape, I turned off at this point. The failure to respond in a professional military manner whilst under fire, not using cover, firing from exposed positions, whilst they were killed, all seemed unrepresentative of our armed forces and was more like something from a Rambo movie where the goody slaughters endless numbers of baddies whilst running around in the open and never being hit by enemies who obviously do not know one end of a gun from the other. Though perhaps our army in the 50's was this bad, but I doubt it.

Jerry
Old 09-10-17, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
I watched about 10 minutes of last nights episode, during which the completely poor British forces were mown down down to a man, except possibly one who climbed a cliff to escape, I turned off at this point. The failure to respond in a professional military manner whilst under fire, not using cover, firing from exposed positions, whilst they were killed, all seemed unrepresentative of our armed forces and was more like something from a Rambo movie where the goody slaughters endless numbers of baddies whilst running around in the open and never being hit by enemies who obviously do not know one end of a gun from the other. Though perhaps our army in the 50's was this bad, but I doubt it.

Totally agree, though this is set in the mid sixties and our army was definitely more professional than that then!