British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-03-19, 06:36 PM

Default Vickers Armstrong Home Guard 1st Bn - Good or Bad?

Hello All

I recently bought a collection of Home Guard related badges, some good, some bad which is what I expected. Amongst the badges was a Vickers Armstrong 1st Bn badge which I listed on ebay but removed before it sold as I decided that I would prefer to find out if it was good or bad.

I have searched the forum and realise a genuine version is quite a scarce badge. I believe the badge should be cast, apparently done in the Vickers factories. The badge I have is obviously cast as can be seen by some casting marks on the side of the badge and some bits missing on the smaller lettering, possibly where there may have been bubbles during the casting. The best pictures I can find on the forum are in post 23 of the attached link. The badge posted looks the same construction as mine.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...mstrong&page=2

I have searched google for pictures of other examples and the majority are either die stamped or solid construction (possibly die cast) but look too pristine without the imperfections you would usually get on badges which were manufactured anywhere other than in the factories of the usual recognised badge makers.

Can I please have members opinions as to whether they believe this badge to be good or another copy. I am undecided as to whether I will keep this badge or move it on so want to make that clear from the outset that I may be selling it so willing to offer to forum members first if it turns out to be genuine and anyone is interested.

Many thanks in advance

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7426.jpg (42.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7427.jpg (42.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7428.jpg (43.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7429.jpg (34.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7430.jpg (33.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7431.jpg (33.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7432.jpg (33.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-03-19, 09:42 PM
life boys

hi was the badges in a large lot on Ebay with the seller saying they was his late father's if so most of them where bad I went and had a look at his house
;
Old 06-03-19, 10:21 PM

Paddy, I have one just like yours and I have always assumed it was OK. I have seen them worn by a re-enactment group but not close another to tell if good or not. I did speak to a couple of them as they were quite surprised that I knew who they were but we did not talk about the originality of the badge.

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21ARMSTRONG VICKERS HG 1st BATT gm#.jpg (38.0 KB, 34 views)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 06-03-19, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
Paddy, I have one just like yours and I have always assumed it was OK. I have seen them worn by a re-enactment group but not close another to tell if good or not. I did speak to a couple of them as they were quite surprised that I knew who they were but we did not talk about the originality of the badge.

Jerry
This one looks the better quality one of the two. IMO.
Andy
Old 11-03-19, 09:11 PM

Gents

Many thanks for your comments.

Life Boys - Yes it was the lot from ebay, I had a good idea before I bought it that there would be a fair share of bad ones in there but I have kept a couple and made my money back from the good ones that were on there.

Jerry - This one does feel good, certainly better quality than some of the ones I have seen while searching for info. Do you remember how much you paid for yours Jerry - PM is fine if you are happy to disclose.

Andy - Many thanks

Paddy