British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-08-19, 02:02 PM

Smile Cameronians headdress badges

I have two distinctly different Cameronians badges, one is slightly larger than the other with the flat metal loops which appear on some badges.

These came from a veteran who served 1944-48 which may help date the flat looped variety.

Thoughts welcome.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020395.jpg (72.9 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg P1020396.jpg (66.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg P1020397.jpg (65.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 20-08-19, 02:36 PM

The larger type was worn by sergeants and above so I understand.
Old 20-08-19, 03:04 PM

I have been lead to believe that the larger fronds is ww2 era and the thinner one ww1 era, roughly.
I don't think the larger was intended for Sergeants.

CB
Old 20-08-19, 04:11 PM

The Sergeants badge is a magnitude larger still than the two you show Rob, but I can understand the reason for Hoot's comment.

I don't have my badges to hand to give you the measurements, but as an illustration the Sergeants badge is on the third line of the attached and your two OR's are in the middle. Quite a bit bigger.
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cameronians low res.jpg (90.6 KB, 96 views)
Old 20-08-19, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiguy View Post
The Sergeants badge is a magnitude larger still than the two you show Rob, but I can understand the reason for Hoot's comment.

I don't have my badges to hand to give you the measurements, but as an illustration the Sergeants badge is on the third line of the attached and your two OR's are in the middle. Quite a bit bigger.
Mark
Very nice group there.
Old 20-08-19, 07:17 PM

Cool Cameronians

Many thanks for the comments, the wearer of these was a Rifleman, so Sgt's is out of the question, my reason for posting this thread was the flat loops which have appeared in previous threads without a manufacturers timespan.

This man served 1944-1948 when presumably the badges were issued to him which dates the flat looped variety.

Rob
Old 21-08-19, 02:44 PM

It is my understanding that those flat electrical connection style lugs date from before ww2. I believe there was a thread on this somewhere....

CB

The thin fronds type badges are definitely the earlier style. Whether this style continued to be made into ww2 along with the large fronds type, I don't know.
Old 22-08-19, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Many thanks for the comments, the wearer of these was a Rifleman, so Sgt's is out of the question, my reason for posting this thread was the flat loops which have appeared in previous threads without a manufacturers timespan.

This man served 1944-1948 when presumably the badges were issued to him which dates the flat looped variety.

Rob
Hi Rob,

I'm always careful about dating specific design/manufacturer badges unless you have the actual pattern card with badge on. I think though it would be safe to say though that they were manufactured either before or during 1948 as the recipient received one during his time in service which was completed the same year.

Of possible interest - the badge was still in use and re-sealed for 'New Metal' use on the 16th August 1995 for officers, warrant officers and sergeants of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) Companies of 52nd Lowland (V). I have not yet found out if the badge has been struck from the inventory - still in use?

The badge does exist in 'New Metal' and it came with a lacquered layer to it. I only know one one such example so is quite scarce/rare in this medium.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 22-08-19 at 12:29 AM.
Old 24-08-19, 04:12 PM

Cool Cameronians

Chris,
This man had three cap badges, two of the slightly smaller variety and the one with the flat loops. I have his paybook which is an indicator.

Of course the flat looped variety may have come from old stock.

Regards Rob
Old 24-08-19, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Rob,

Of possible interest - the badge was still in use and re-sealed for 'New Metal' use on the 16th August 1995 for officers, warrant officers and sergeants of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) Companies of 52nd Lowland (V). I have not yet found out if the badge has been struck from the inventory - still in use?
Chris

All regtl variations (except for Pipers) were firmly stopped when the Royal Regt of Scotland was formed. They were very thorough in removing all regtl variations for Regulars and Army Reserves.

Alan
Old 24-08-19, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Chris

All regtl variations (except for Pipers) were firmly stopped when the Royal Regt of Scotland was formed. They were very thorough in removing all regtl variations for Regulars and Army Reserves.

Alan
Thanks Alan,

Makes sense - I'll goback and check deleted NSN's from around 2006 onwards.

Rgards,

Chris
Old 24-08-19, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post

Of course the flat looped variety may have come from old stock.

Regards Rob
Hi Rob,

Exactly - difficult to date the manufacture of a badge based on its issue. I used to shoot with an ex-RNZRAF pilot. He was issued his 'wings' in 1962. They were Tudor Crown design.

Regards,

Chris
Old 03-09-19, 10:40 PM

Hi Guys,

For those that may be interested:

Although I can't find the actual date of deletion from the inventory of the 'New Metal' cap badge for the:

Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) Companies of 52nd Lowland (V) [Officers, Warrant Officers and Sergeants]

it appears to have been between 12th August 2009 and 28th August 2012. Bit of a wide date range but if I can narrow it down more I will post here.

Of course, it was probably never issued (as Alan says) after the Royal Regiment of Scotland was formed in 2006.

Regards,

Chris