British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-07-22, 08:31 PM

Default Jubilee Medal

I copied this from Linkedin. Have not included name but he is a Policeman.

So I received my Jubilee medal today, I have heard it referred to by some as the "turn up to work medal", to those people I would say... I completely agree!
This medal is for turning up, for the last 7 years of my life I turned up on a daily basis to see and do things that thankfully most people might never have to once in their lifetime.

I turned up the deceased persons, in various conditions and then often I turned upto the family to deliver the death message.
I turned up to the violent disorder where people are trying to kill myself and my colleagues.
I turned up to the victim of stabbing and conducted CPR, only for them to die literally in my arms, this has happened multiple times.
I turned upto the person/persons having a mental health crisis and have pulled them off the bridge or railway tracks.
I turned upto the victim of rape and given comfort to them while trying to conduct an often uncomfortable investigation.
I turned upto the domestic incidents, runaway/abuses children, trafficked persons who are victims of modern day slavery, among many more types incidents considered "routine policing".

I turned up despite being vilified by the media and politicians.

So yes this is the "turn up to work medal" and I couldn't be prouder of it
Old 06-07-22, 08:55 PM

And long may you do it, for without yourself and your colleagues there would be Mayhem! So Thanks and well done! Billy
Old 07-07-22, 04:49 AM

CAM, Thanks for posting this.
All those who have been awarded this medal deserve it 100%.
I was a member of Sussex Police for 18 years (working in custody) and know what the Officers went through on a daily basis.
engr9266

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 07-07-22, 06:31 AM

Default Medal

My wife has just got hers for being a blue light taxi
Old 07-07-22, 07:46 AM

I have three Jubilee Medals now 2 whilst serving in the Reserves and the current one for Cadet Service.

They should be seen as a gift from the Queen for valued service and sadly a lot of rubbish gets talked about them. It would be good to see the law banning the sale of the medals whilst still serving to all reciplicants but I can't see it happening. E-bay is full of them and I am yet to receive mine.
Old 07-07-22, 11:38 AM

Yep, Golden, Diamond and now Platinum for just shy of 30 years in the police, so I can certainly identify with much in the OP

Have to say I too am thoroughly disgusted with those people selling their medals on eBay when so many recipients like REME 245 are still waiting on them

Cheers......John
Old 07-07-22, 02:58 PM

Jubilee medals are a bone of contention for those cold war warriors of the 70's when the silver was issued. If you remember money was tight so the award was only issued on a limited basis. The regiment I was serving with in BAOR was allotted about six. Of course the CO, RSM the youngest serving soldier etc got them and that was that. Officially you cannot wear it even if you buy one, although I know many who do. So well done all of you who have the golden, diamond and platinum, just remember all of us who should be wearing the silver jubilee medal. Rant over!