British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Navy

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-12-21, 10:11 AM

Default Naval Bladed Weapons

I have received an e-mail from the Heritage Arms Society in Australia via the MHS site.

They are working on a research project to catalogue every available example of British Sea Service Cutlass, Cutlass Bayonets, Naval Pioneer Swords, Naval Machete’s, Lead Cutters and Single Sticks for cutlass training. They are attempting to capture and record in chronological order official patterns, experimental, transitional, and official conversions and then provide an illustrated table as a guide for collectors.

If anyone has an example they would be willing to photograph it would gratefully received

If so, they ask photograph examples at the highest resolution possible, against a white background and outside on a cloudy day. By providing photographs contributors authorise the Society to publish them in the finished work and future articles that will be published in their magazine “Barrels and Blades.”

If you would like to participate in the project do check out their website https://heritagearmssa.com/and make contact by email to heritage.arms.society@gmail.com.

A complimentary copy of the Society Monthly Magazine “Barrels and Blades” is at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vYm...ew?usp=sharing

The Society's members' interests include military and civilian arms and accoutrements over 100 years old, including firearms, edged weapons, medals, armour, helmets, uniforms, badges, and accoutrements etc. Based in Adelaide they have a global membership, hold virtual and physical meetings and publish a monthly magazine and endeavour to encourage and support member’s research activities.
Old 24-12-21, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM View Post
I have received an e-mail from the Heritage Arms Society in Australia via the MHS site.

They are working on a research project to catalogue every available example of British Sea Service Cutlass, Cutlass Bayonets, Naval Pioneer Swords, Naval Machete’s, Lead Cutters and Single Sticks for cutlass training. They are attempting to capture and record in chronological order official patterns, experimental, transitional, and official conversions and then provide an illustrated table as a guide for collectors.

If anyone has an example they would be willing to photograph it would gratefully received

If so, they ask photograph examples at the highest resolution possible, against a white background and outside on a cloudy day. By providing photographs contributors authorise the Society to publish them in the finished work and future articles that will be published in their magazine “Barrels and Blades.”

If you would like to participate in the project do check out their website https://heritagearmssa.com/and make contact by email to heritage.arms.society@gmail.com.

A complimentary copy of the Society Monthly Magazine “Barrels and Blades” is at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vYm...ew?usp=sharing

The Society's members' interests include military and civilian arms and accoutrements over 100 years old, including firearms, edged weapons, medals, armour, helmets, uniforms, badges, and accoutrements etc. Based in Adelaide they have a global membership, hold virtual and physical meetings and publish a monthly magazine and endeavour to encourage and support member’s research activities.
Hi Cam

Hope you are well?

I'm not an expert at all on Naval weapons but remember when I was researching a lance that came into my collection, there was reference to a similar but slightly shorter one used on sailing ships, mainly for preventing boarders from getting across the gap between vessels. Will try and find out more, I did not know about these things but it made complete sense.

Regards
Brian
Old 24-12-21, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
I'm not an expert at all on Naval weapons but remember when I was researching a lance that came into my collection, there was reference to a similar but slightly shorter one used on sailing ships, mainly for preventing boarders from getting across the gap between vessels.
Found an example of a "Naval Boarding Pike" that was sold on a militaria site :

Quote:
In 1894 the British Military adopted the Pattern 1894 Cavalry Lance and P-1894 Naval Boarding Pike. These were related weapons, however, their individual use required different sizes. The lance was 9' 1 overall (109") with a 2' 4" steel head (28") fitted onto an ash wood shaft. In contrast the Boarding Pike was shorter measuring 5' 6" overall (66") with a 15" steel heads also fitted on Ash wood shaft. Both weapons were destined for obsolescence within the next 20-30 years.

Boarding Pikes were traditionally carried on Galleons, Men-o-War and subsequent Naval Battle vessels to "Repel Boarders" and in earlier days were issued in longer lengths. However, their use was later expanded to boarding parties so a shorter pike was adopted for easier maneuverability.
https://www.ima-usa.com/products/bri...nt=25650937861

Poppy and British Legion Wanted

Tags
swords