British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Photographs of South African Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-08-21, 04:58 PM

Default Help needed with identifying unknown regiment again

Hello everyone, I was watching this British Pathé video today where Field Marshal Smuts was visiting the troops in the Western Desert, 1942. I happened to take notice at one point that these guys had something strange at the side of their pith, I personally think it could be a red hackle, meaning they're most likely Transvaal Scottish, but I leave that up to debate. (Might be a little hard to see in the picture)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UnknownReg.jpg (38.6 KB, 86 views)
Old 06-10-21, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatinhoDeGato123 View Post
Hello everyone, I was watching this British Pathé video today where Field Marshal Smuts was visiting the troops in the Western Desert, 1942. I happened to take notice at one point that these guys had something strange at the side of their pith, I personally think it could be a red hackle, meaning they're most likely Transvaal Scottish, but I leave that up to debate. (Might be a little hard to see in the picture)
A number of South African regiments wore a hackle but I have never seen one worn on the Polo Pith helmet like this, very interesting.

Tags
south africa, ww2, wwii