British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-07-19, 07:39 PM

Mark, Thanks for the info contained in LOC 4244 as it fills a gap in the info I have which skips from COSA 1949 to COSA 1987

The trade of Assistant Ammunition Examiner RAOC & WRAC existed in the late 1940's and 50's mainly being RAOC National Servicemen and selected WRAC Storewomen who wore the same AE in Wreath as the Ammunition Examiners on the khaki battledress worn by the WRAC at the time.

The Beech Brown on Green 'Flaming A' was introduced on the introduction of the Green No2 Dress but was short lived because the trade of Assistant Ammunition Examiner/Technician was declared obsolete in c1962/3 with the rundown of National Service and the rationalisation of 'Storeman Ammunition' to being a 'Speclist Qualification' for both RAOC & WRAC at the same time as 'Storeman Vehicle' becoming a separate all male trade of 'Vehicle Speclist' After this time all Ammunition process work was carried out by mainly Storeman RAOC/WRAC under the supervision of a senior AT who would also have newly qualified AT's or potential AT's awaiting training at the Army School of Ammunition at Bramley (moved to CAD Kineton in 1974/5 on the closer of CAD Bramley)

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 29-07-19, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
The 'A in Flames' badge (Edwards and Langley 118A) was introduced in 1950 for Ammunition Technician / Assistant Ammunition Examiner.
Hi All,

Please excuse my ignorance but can someone explain what the variations mean for this badge?

As Tim said, the A in flames was for an Ammunition Technician / Assistant Ammunition Examiner, I presume from a later comment this is someone who checks and packages ammunition, but I have seen this badge without any letter in the middle and now in this thread with a V in the middle. Can someone please educate me?

Thanks a lot,

Michael