British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-02-18, 11:12 AM

Default William Endley

Just a sad note for all of you who know William(a member on this forum). He was sentenced to death in South Sudan this week. Crazy though he also received a 9 year sentence, which he has to serve before his execution. So there is still hope for a reprieve. In Africa, this was just a case of being hired by the wrong guy at the wrong time. Our prayers are with you William. Regards Andrew
Old 24-02-18, 03:49 PM

Lots of news about it all over the web, one of the least sensationalised ones seems to be this report by Reuters

There is some hope reported here that the South African Government will intervene.
Old 25-02-18, 05:56 AM

I haven't met him but that is bad news. Getting involved in any of those conflicts is always a doubtful career choice but I hope he gets a reprieve.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 25-02-18, 09:58 AM

He should have got out when Riek Machar ran away but he was too loyal to his men. He knew things were getting too hot. He was actually "arrested" during a ceasefire.

On a side note he had almost completed a book on his WWI collection and sadly his collection is being broken up. He had an amazing collection.

http://gmic.co.uk/topic/34843-the-en...world-war-one/

regards Iain
Old 25-02-18, 10:51 AM

I have to say that there is nothing on the continent of Africa that remotely surprises me these days.
I'm afraid that if you chose that sort of path in life, with it's ever present risk, you must also accept the potential consequences, this is still darkest Africa and even in the twenty first century, not a great deal seems to have changed.

I really hope, that as a South African national, his government is able to apply as much pressure as possible and ultimately get him the hell out of there.
It would be nice to hope and believe he could say goodbye to his present lifestyle and settle down to retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
Just a sad note for all of you who know William(a member on this forum). He was sentenced to death in South Sudan this week. Crazy though he also received a 9 year sentence, which he has to serve before his execution. So there is still hope for a reprieve. In Africa, this was just a case of being hired by the wrong guy at the wrong time. Our prayers are with you William. Regards Andrew
Old 27-02-18, 07:14 PM

I think it is a shame he was ever in that situation in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
He should have got out when Riek Machar ran away but he was too loyal to his men. He knew things were getting too hot. He was actually "arrested" during a ceasefire.

On a side note he had almost completed a book on his WWI collection and sadly his collection is being broken up. He had an amazing collection.

regards Iain
Old 01-03-18, 05:18 AM

Indeed, there is some hope that the SA Govt might get involved, but we'll see.

regards, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I think it is a shame he was ever in that situation in the first place.
Old 01-03-18, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post

regards Iain
Who is breaking up the collection ?? Lets hope the SA Govt can do something .......... such a waste .
Old 04-03-18, 08:05 PM

On a personal level, I can say that Will has shown me great generosity, both in time and willingness to share images of his vast collection. On a general level his collection was truly vast, not just WW1 and I wonder why it is being broken up? I sincerely hope he can get out of this situation quickly and be reunited with his family, Mike
Old 05-03-18, 04:50 AM

Unfortunately his collection has already been broken up. He has been locked up for around a year and a half already, so his wife has sold it off to cover expenses. I am not sure what is still left. It is a very sad situation. Regards Andrew
Old 28-03-18, 07:18 PM

I had visited William on a number of occasions ( my son used to live about a km away from him) and yes his private museum/collection/library was amazing.

Lets all hope that somewhere down the line sanity prevails and he can come home.

Brian
Old 28-03-18, 07:24 PM

I've said it before to some of my mates. " If you choose to work in dodgy Countries, you need to be squeaky clean ".
Andy
Old 29-03-18, 07:34 AM

I think he just backed the wrong side on this occasion, not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
I had visited William on a number of occasions ( my son used to live about a km away from him) and yes his private museum/collection/library was amazing.

Lets all hope that somewhere down the line sanity prevails and he can come home.

Brian
Old 15-09-18, 05:07 PM

Is there any update on William Endley's situation? I have seen no news for months on the interweb.
Rob
Old 15-09-18, 06:59 PM

I was wondering the same thing! Since the truce a couple of months ago, there is no reason why he shouldn't get a pardon!