British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-08-08, 11:15 AM
peter616

Default Unknown badge

I picked this up with a lot of Irish badges titles collars and british cap badge all with lugs,
the badge as the crown removed and is in white-metal

unknow.jpg

unknow (1).jpg

peter
Old 21-08-08, 11:23 AM

Peter

whereas I cannot identify it myself, the three castles burning is part of the coat of arms of Dublin City. This may help others identify what it is.

John
Old 21-08-08, 06:10 PM

Wink Missing part

It appears like something (crown) has been cut off of the top of the badge, I suspect that it once had a crown on the top!
Old 22-08-08, 03:01 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Peter,
The scales and that "object" - that for the life of me I cannot remember its name - but I am sure it comes from Roman times - might just indicate something to do with the military legal profession/adjudent generals office?
Must say, I saw some weird looking badges during my badge trawling days in NI emanating from Eire, but this one is something I am not familiar with at all.
Those castles seem to be (very representative or are very similar to....) the Dublin City arms, (as on The Royal Dublin Fusiliers Fur Caps and Glengarries etc) but all the other paraphanalia almost make it look more like a political - rather than just Military... I used to have a lot of pre 1881 militia regiment badges that all got "absorbed" into various Dublin City, Queens County and Kings County regiments - and then into the Fusiliers, but I have never seen the "object" shown on any Irish Military badges. I recall (as a youth) swapping an old Italian Fascist badge that had one of these on it. And the "objects" name is .......DavidD might be able to help me out here??
david
Old 22-08-08, 08:50 AM
David Douglas

Default Unknown badge

I have been researching this badge since Peter put it on thread. I can't pin it down but the devices suggest a court official of a particular legal jurisdiction. The flaming towers - is that actually Dublin City ? the flames are significant here. The devices crossing behind are a tipstaff -the symbol of a court enforcement officer, the sword and scales of justice - which again point towards the law. So, all in all, my opinion (and it is only that) is that it is British, a cap or collar badge, worn by a Tipstaff in the service of a Court the location of which is symbolised by the arms in the centre. Hope that helps. Regards. David
Old 22-08-08, 09:00 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter616 View Post
I picked this up with a lot of Irish badges titles collars and british cap badge all with lugs,

Attachment 8459

Attachment 8460

peter
Just had a look at a RDF GG in more detail and the 3 castles are not quite the same as on your badge... So it may not be Dublin related -unless the pressing on the GG badge has been "cut-down" in size/shape due to space??
david
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FusGG_RDubFus.jpg (97.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 22-08-08, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter616 View Post

Attachment 8459

Attachment 8460

peter
I just cheked to see if it might be Dublin Metroplotan Police but it is definitely not. I agree with previous poster that it looks like the badge of a court official who probably had to cut the crown off after partition but otherwise continued to wear his uniform. This was common at that time until the new State developed its own insignia.
Old 22-08-08, 11:36 AM

Definitely Dublin and definitely law related (in my opinion). The flaming castles are not always heraldically identical.

Look at this link

http://home.connect.ie/morley/bac_e.htm.

Look at the image top right - my knowledge of Dublin buildings is limited (I assume it is the four courts, but am probably wrong). Anyone care to try to identify it?

John

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 22-08-08 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling corrections.
Old 22-08-08, 12:08 PM

I couldn't resist a further search, the building appears to be the Mansion House.

http://www.irelandposters.com/dublin...n_picture.html

The crest is described as the 17th century civic crest thus it may be a badge of Dublin City Corporation (or equivalent) and not law related at all. A badge used by civic staff possibly?

John

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 22-08-08 at 12:21 PM.
Old 22-08-08, 02:40 PM
peter616

Thanks to you all, in your attempt to try and ID this Dublin Badge, that is that one thing for certain its definately Dublin, and thanks John for the links which were quite interesting.

Peter
Old 22-08-08, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
I couldn't resist a further search, the building appears to be the Mansion House.

http://www.irelandposters.com/dublin...n_picture.html

The crest is described as the 17th century civic crest thus it may be a badge of Dublin City Corporation (or equivalent) and not law related at all. A badge used by civic staff possibly?

John
Hi All,
If you look at the photo of the badge adorning The Mansion House you can see that what appears to be a crown visible atop of it.I wonder if the owner of the badge worked at the House ?Would it be at all possible to see a clearer photo of the badge on the house to ascertain what exactly it is ?
Regards
Bantam
Old 22-08-08, 04:52 PM

You can tell I am a little bored today. I should really be looking at some Leinster Rgt stuff with/for Luke.

Here is a photo of the arms of Dublin City over the door of the mansion house in Dublin. As you can see the 'crown" is an unusual type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg MansionHouse28-11-20063.jpeg (50.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 22-08-08, 08:33 PM
David Douglas

Default Unknown badge

I find it difficult to believe that a badge with a tipstaff and the sword and scales of justice is not law related ! If the arms are indeed the Corporation of Dublin then there is every probability that it stems from the Court of King's Bench based at Dublin - then under the jurisdiction of the English crown. I also accept the view that the crown (QVC or KC) may well have been removed after independence in 1922. I would be interested to hear the opinions of others as to what it might be - if not law related. Regards. David
Old 22-08-08, 08:34 PM
David Douglas

Default Unknown badge

JM - Does the Dublin City Corporation arms have flames coming from the towers ? I am intrigued. Regards. David
Old 22-08-08, 10:28 PM

John,

Not so sure you could call that a crown. Looks more like a beaver skin top hat. And the way that lot down south of the border are, I can't see them keeping a crown on anything post 1922.

Michael