British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-08-08, 03:38 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default Pre 1922 - Royal Irish Regiment Slider re-inforcement

Clarification please.
Unfortunately I have forgotten the picture - but, I have a GM version of the above badge with a a slider. At the back where the slider is brazed to just below the crown, there is what appears to be a re-inforcing piece of round metal that is squared-off to the slider (i.e. an upside down, square "U" shape) - which can only be there to stop the badge/crown breaking off in service. Its hardly visible from the front.
There are no makers marks - thank goodness - and I am perfectly happy with its provenence.
Is this normal for this badge or is it "after-issue improvement". I don't have one anymore but I do not recall seeing this on the QVC version.
I did have another slidered one with no re-inforcing, no makers mark - but non-voided strings and poor finish. Thats gone.
Thanks for your help.
I will try and remember to bring in the photo tomorrow if anyone has problems with my description.
Old 18-08-08, 05:10 AM

my royal irish regiment had the sam re-inforcement.....like yours, and it come from my WW1 grand father collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C1475-K614-G11--.JPG (9.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg C1475-K614-G11.JPG (19.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg C1475-K614-G11-.JPG (12.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 18-08-08, 06:11 AM

Reinforcements like this were specified for RA cap badges in the 1st World War (in WO records). There are quite a few others with the sam,e feature, so I guess they were made at the same time - a period of mass production. As an example, I can tell you that 7,000 RIR badges were ordered in April 1916.
Julian
Old 18-08-08, 06:36 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanpit-frenchy View Post
my royal irish regiment had the sam re-inforcement.....like yours, and it come from my WW1 grand father collection.

J-P,
Thanks mon ami. Its nice to know that it is confirmed as ok. It came from
a fairly reliable source (a NI shop in Ballymena) - but you never can tell.
Thanks, david
Old 18-08-08, 01:13 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Clarification please.
Unfortunately I have forgotten the picture - but, I have a GM version of the above badge with a a slider. At the back where the slider is brazed to just below the crown, there is what appears to be a re-inforcing piece of round metal that is squared-off to the slider (i.e. an upside down, square "U" shape) - which can only be there to stop the badge/crown breaking off in service. Its hardly visible from the front.
There are no makers marks - thank goodness - and I am perfectly happy with its provenence.
Is this normal for this badge or is it "after-issue improvement". I don't have one anymore but I do not recall seeing this on the QVC version.
I did have another slidered one with no re-inforcing, no makers mark - but non-voided strings and poor finish. Thats gone.
Thanks for your help.
I will try and remember to bring in the photo tomorrow if anyone has problems with my description.
Hi David,

Re-inforcing was very common on KC Royal Irish Reg and Connaught Rangers and did not appear on QVC versions of the badge as the stress to the crown-harp adjoining area was caused by the insertion of the slider into the cap whereas QVC badges had lugs and could be easily popped out from the back. These re-inforcings were generally factory done but I have seen examples which have had re-inforcing added later after issue, the re-inforcing seems to have been made out of whatever they had to hand in the factory I've seen copper wire, brass wire and brass strips used.

I have never seen a genuine ORs Connaught Rgrs with a makers mark but genuine Royal Irish Reg badges can be found with SMITH & WRIGHT B'HAM so don't panic if you see the latter

Luke
Old 19-08-08, 12:00 AM

Hello David,

No prob with the strengtheners. They came in varied styles, rings, single piece, double piece. Some done at the manufacturer some done by the regimental armourer. I would say you have a good-un no worries.

Michael
Old 19-08-08, 01:54 AM

Here are some photos of a Smith & Wright, Royal Irish Rgt (front & back) that I have in my collection for reference. Strengthener present on the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18TH ANOTATED.jpg (64.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg rir sw back.jpg (53.3 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 19-08-08 at 02:03 AM.