British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-08-08, 06:36 PM

Default Chaplain's Collar?

Picked this up with some Canadian badges yesterday. It doesn't show up on my references for Canadian Chaplins Corp so am wondering if it could possibly be British... it's led a hard life as it is bent, dented, ground etc but you have to take em as you get em... thanks JIm
Old 30-08-08, 06:37 PM

Old 31-08-08, 03:07 AM

WOW, looks like a child found daddy's collar badge and used it a throwing star.

I wish I could comment of the era of this collar but I have not a clue. I do think it has character though.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 31-08-08, 11:15 AM

Bit of a "Charlie " this one. I think it is part of a R.A.Ch.D. chaplains cap badge
( KK 2110 ) being just the central device ( less the back wreath and crown ) with all the enamel missing.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 03-09-08, 03:59 PM

Jim, it certainly looks like a chaplain's badge but it is very strange. Note the depth of the lettering and the circular centre, that is not something I have yet come across on a cap badge (both bronze and gilt and enamel types), collar badge, officiating badge or sweetheart badge.

What size is it?
Old 04-09-08, 01:55 PM

Luc... 35mm x 35mm... I don't think there was anything like a wreath or crown attached as it doesn't look like anything has ben broken off the edge. I'm wondering if it was initially setup with a pin to a clasp. The hole in the center of that circular insert ( which has me puzzled) could be for a pin and that glob of metal on the left could be where a clasp was sheared off. The back view should be rotated so that glob is at the bottom and the lugs run east west. Which if it was a pin and clasp setup it would put the clasp at the bottom... which makes sense to me. The lugs would have replaced the clasp... I've never seen another one like it either... thanks Jim A
Old 04-09-08, 02:29 PM

I now notice I overlooked a tiny little detail, the motto is in Latin! That points more in the direction of a Masonic badge.
Old 04-09-08, 04:48 PM

The dimensions given are correct for a Cap Badge, rather than a Collar. In view of the motto in Latin, I suggest it has come from the Canadian Army - prior to going "all green".There are other Commonwealth Armies with this motto, but the design of the Maltese cross can differ considerably. Originally, in 1929-30 when RAChD put up for their new badge in this design, the motto was to be in Latin, but GvR said that English would be better understood. And so it was to be.
Old 04-09-08, 08:29 PM

You wouldn't have pictures of such badges per chance? The circular centre is odd, chaplaincy badges that I know of show a rounded (almost clover-like) cross.
Old 05-09-08, 04:25 PM

This looks like the remnant of a badge, and the quatrefoil in the centre is indeed missing.
Old 05-09-08, 10:57 PM

"In Hoc Signo Vinces" translates to "With This Sign Conquer". It is commonly used by those of us in the Knights Templar. If there was any enamel on the badge it would be red.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_hoc_signo_vinces

Last edited by ard-ri; 05-09-08 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-09-08, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard-ri View Post
"In Hoc Signo Vinces" translates to "With This Sign Conquer". It is commonly used by those of us in the Knights Templar. If there was any enamel on the badge it would be red.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_hoc_signo_vinces
Not trying to be a wise guy, but Why would the enamel have to be red?? The Royal Canadian Chaplin Corps uses the same motto on their badges, but the enamel is Blue.

Old 05-09-08, 11:43 PM

forgot to post this badge. Sorry for the poor photo but looking at this badge, although not exactly the same. It would appear to me the one you have is only part of a badge. Been through the wringer and what you have is the end result.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chaplin Corps (Small).JPG (31.8 KB, 28 views)

Old 06-09-08, 01:01 AM

Pylon, the Templar Cross is red. So if it's a Templar item red would be the colour.

Cheers, Michael
Old 06-09-08, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard-ri View Post
Pylon, the Templar Cross is red. So if it's a Templar item red would be the colour.

Cheers, Michael
WOW I should have been able to figure that one out. Sometimes I scare myself with my lack of missing the obvious.

Thanks for getting me straight on the use of red enamel on the Templar insignia.