British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-12-18, 11:07 AM

Default A few unknown buttons that I cant identify

Good morning all,
I have a few buttons that I bought as part of a bulk lot. Mixed from fire to police, military, shipping, rail so I have spent a while looking through all different sources but these ones are proving a little harder than I thought to identify. Some may be so easy that I've just missed them by glancing past.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Glyn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9681.jpg (42.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2338.jpg (91.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2352.jpg (116.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3308.jpg (87.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3505.jpg (76.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4554.jpg (64.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5849.jpg (77.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6558.jpg (48.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9539.jpg (69.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 18-12-18, 11:35 AM

Top row, third from left: Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Bottom row first left: Gloucestershire Regiment

Top row, first left appears to be from one of the Indian Princely States or possibly Nepal.

Top row, far right. LZS possibly London Zoological Society.

Bottom row 3rd from left. I.C.I. Imperial Chemical Industries?
Old 18-12-18, 11:42 AM

Top...second possibly East Lancashire Regt
Fourth .....possibly Corps of Commissioners
Bottom Row, second looks like APTC mess size and last which is purely a guess might be Cameronians as they were the Scottish Rifles.....but just a guess
Old 18-12-18, 11:50 AM

Fourth is definitely the Corps of Commissionaires
Old 18-12-18, 01:10 PM

No. 9 is a bit of a mystery.

Prior to 1900 the Suffolk Regiment used 'SR' below a crown, mounted in silver on their mess dress buttons (Parkyn, page 108). After this they adopted the more usual design of the castle etc.

I have also seen this 'SR' button attributed to the Scottish Rifles.

The button in the photo appears to have a Queen's crown so is unlikely to be an early Suffolk Regiment, so Scottish Rifles seems a good bet.

Does anyone have a definitive answer?

Roger
Old 18-12-18, 01:45 PM

Many thanks indeed for the help.
I had originally wondered about ICI and London Zoological Society but then dismissed the idea as there were no other buttons in the batch that were so far removed from the main themes of the collection but just half an hour ago came across one from Wills Tobacco so clearly this opens the doors to point that these may be correct.
I was really stuck with the other military ones as they were not in any of my reference material.
Thanks again,
Glyn
Old 18-12-18, 06:18 PM

1st one is it Nepal
2nd cap button for east lancs?

Argyll
APTC mess/cap button
Old 18-12-18, 06:47 PM

No. 2 is the short lived Lancashire Regiment, cap badged as Lancastrian Brigade?
Old 04-01-19, 06:17 PM

Another batch of buttons identified by Forum members that have now appeared for sale on ebay.

I do wish members would abide by the rules when asking for help identifying items. Is it just me or do others find this practice of not admitting that items are intended for sale somewhat annoying?
Old 04-01-19, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post
Another batch of buttons identified by Forum members that have now appeared for sale on ebay.

I do wish members would abide by the rules when asking for help identifying items. Is it just me or do others find this practice of not admitting that items are intended for sale somewhat annoying?

I agree with you. Such people take advantage and do not contribute.
I add them to my ignore list which means I cannot see their messages.

Last edited by btns; 04-01-19 at 07:56 PM. Reason: ignore list not blacklist
Old 06-01-19, 07:31 AM

Default I don't mind it.

For my two cents worth Cribyn, I disagree with you. Every single one of us on this forum plays within a commercial arena. People like the chap who listed the buttons is adding supply to the market for buyers like you. If you see something that interests you during the identification post, contact him and ask to buy them.

Yes, Yes, I know it's forum policy to be up front about this and I am when I am trying to ID something but it's a rule I disagree with, like your opinion about this chap's actions.

Just saying.
Old 06-01-19, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey VC View Post
For my two cents worth Cribyn, I disagree with you. Every single one of us on this forum plays within a commercial arena. People like the chap who listed the buttons is adding supply to the market for buyers like you. If you see something that interests you during the identification post, contact him and ask to buy them.

Yes, Yes, I know it's forum policy to be up front about this and I am when I am trying to ID something but it's a rule I disagree with, like your opinion about this chap's actions.

Just saying.
Hello Sock Monkey

I respect your comments and agree most of us are within a commercial arena but I don't think that makes it right just to ignore Forum rules we disagree with - if you don't like the rules, don't post or don't join the Forum in the first place.

Most members seem to abide by the rules and state upfront that an unidentified item is/may be for sale. Why can't all members be so clear when they post? Newcomers may simply be ignorant of the rules (although they are encouraged to read them before posting) but this member (and I do not want to get too personal) has been on the Forum for 6 years. Do some think they have something to hide (ie being a dealer) and thus will not get help?

I just think it right that members wishing to have items identified make it clear (in line with Forum rules) that they want to sell the item and potentially make more money from that sale. Not a lot to ask I think.

Roger
Old 06-01-19, 01:52 PM

I agree with Roger.
We both spend time doing research and we both try to help out other collectors.
However, when someone intends to sell the items, I want to decide beforehand if I am going to help him out or not.

As far as contacting members to purchase items I found that one of the known sellers simply ignores my mail. Probably he thinks selling on ebay is more profitable.
Old 06-01-19, 03:21 PM

I help out with any answers that I can provide to questions asked, I don't have any issue with people who merely want to identify an item in order to sell it, not that it's something I do.
I feel that forum rules should apply because them's the rules laid down by those good enough to to allow the likes of me and the questioner et al to belong to the forum.
It could be that people asking the questions and then not offering items for sale here first are unaware of the requirement to offer them here.
Although it's not something I have a bee in my bonnet about by any means, it does occur to me that if someone is deliberately "dishonest" in breaching the offer for sale here first rule - how honest are they in general and do I want to risk buying from them?
Old 06-01-19, 04:34 PM

Well, as a seller, here's my perspective. Firstly, I do abide by the rules because as Leigh said, rules are rules. If somebody has been flaunting them for 6 years on the forum, well, punt them from the forum. Rules only mean something if they are enforced.

Having said that, I have a fair idea of what some things are worth but if I don't know what I'm proposing to sell and it needs exposure on the forum to ID it, that pretty much means I don't know the value of it. I have had some unknown items go for whopping prices and if somebody had contacted me on the forum before the item went on ebay, bought it and scooped a real bargain, that's me being taken advantage of. I would imagine that's why some dealers are hesitant to reveal they intend to sell them. Let's face it: there are shifty dealers, we all know that but there are also some real scumbag collectors as well. You've all heard of funeral chasers, etc..

As far as choosing to not help somebody because it seems as if the chap is going to sell something goes, that's the members prerogative. I expect that attitude is rare and perhaps a little niggardly but that's as may be and it's none of my business. My observation of most members that help ID things is that they are doing it firstly for the pure satisfaction of helping somebody and perhaps secondly for a bit of an ego boost. Who doesn't like looking like the smart guy on the block?

Finally, as a seller, I never sell something if I don't know what it is. If I have a mystery item, it will never hit the market for people to have a chance to buy unless somebody has helped me identify it. I rely on an open exchange of ideas to stimulate my offerings.

Again, I'm not arguing about that particular rule, just disagreeing with it.

If any of you buy anything from me on eBay and are the type of person who doesn't help ID things on the forum for people, please let me know at the time of purchase and I will happily fart in the package just before I tape it shut.

Monkey