British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-11-20, 01:16 PM

Default APPEAL FOR HELP PLEASE

Please excuse me if I have posted in the wrong place.

A good friend of mine is having to clear his father's house and has come across Great War medals and badges. He asked if I could help find out more about them. I enclose a page of a Village History Project (CHRISTLETON GREAT WAR STORIES) that mentions the five Wright brothers (see Centre Column of article) who served in the Great War, and commemorates Cecil Wright who died on 9 November 2018 - just two days before the armistice. CHRISTLETON IS A CHESTER VILLAGE.

There are several medals - listed below, including those of further relatives.

It would be extremely useful to know what the full medal entitlements were for each person, just to see how many are missing etc - the house clearance continues, but it is most likely the groups have been split between family members, or something similar.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ACCESS TO MEDAL ROLLS PLEASE? just to see which medals may be missing

I am not sure how some of the items relate to each other, but this is what there is:

Medals

Victory Medal WW1 - 1529 - Pte C WRIGHT - Ches Yeo

Victory Medal WW1 - 26539 - 2 AM H WRIGHT RAF

For faithful service in the Special Constabulary GV - Frederick WRIGHT

Defence Medal WW2 - WA CUNNINGTON - (boxed and with certificate)
Box addressed to Green Lane, Vicars Cross, Chester.

Badges

Early of Chester's IY - Lugged, Bi Metal (Note: Imperial Yeomanry)

North Staffordshire - Lugged Bi Metal (Victorian / Edwardian)

Royal Artillery - KC - Gilding Metal - no fittings (slight sign of possible slider)

Given the first two badges appear to predate WW1, are we looking for further members of the family who may have served earlier. The ages of the brothers may preclude them from this assumption.

There are further items associated with D CUNNINGTON - A noted cross-country runner within the Cheshire Cross-Country Championships etc. He looks to have run for 'Wirral' in some races (before 1974 Wirral was part of Cheshire).

An embroidered 'North Staffordshire Regiment' Sports Badge is believed to belong to him.
ALSO
A pair of White on Black embroidered shoulder designations 'NORTH STAFFORD'

I never cease to be amazed at the generous sharing of knowledge on this forum, and know the family would much appreciate any help.

Very many thanks
Mike
Old 05-11-20, 01:48 PM

Default medals

Hi Mike - to start you off:-

Cecil Wright 1529 Cheshire Yeomanry and 230889 10th Btn. KSLI killed in action 9th November 1918..

Name: Cecil Wright
Residence: Christleton, Chester
Death Date: 9 Nov 1918
Death Place: France and Flanders
Enlistment Place: Chester
Regiment: Shropshire Light Infantry
Battalion: 10th Battalion
Regimental Number: 230889
Type of Casualty: Died
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre
Comments: Formerly 1529, Ches. Yeo

Mark
Old 05-11-20, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

I would expect each Victory medal would have a war Medal as you generally were entitled to both. Unfortunately being silver they were often sold for scrap and split from the Victory medal..

The Cheshire Yeomanry went abroad in Mar 16 so too late to qualify for the 1914-15 Star.

The IY badge may have been his as they did issue old stock for some years and he may have had it on enlistment in 1915 or before if he was a pre-war yeoman even after 1908.
Old 05-11-20, 01:56 PM

Default medals

Mike - from CWCG

In Memory Of
Private
C WRIGHT
Service Number: 230889
10th Bn., King's Shropshire Light Infantry who died on 09 November 1918 Age 27
Son of Fredrick and Francis Wright, ofQuarry Lane,Christleton,Cheshire.
FOREVER WITH THE LORD
Remembered with Honour
ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY
L. A. 11.(this is his grave reference)

Mark
Old 05-11-20, 03:48 PM

This is fantastic help - Thank you Mark and Alan for the time taken to help.
It never fails to surprise me how generous members of this forum are with their time.

Quite a thing that five brothers served, but families were often so much larger then, even if living in a cottage as these folks did.

It is a shame so many War Medals were sold off, but of course times were hard then and the War was something many tried to forget.

Many thanks
Mike
Old 05-11-20, 03:50 PM

[QUOTE=mm1;527930]Hi Mike - to start you off:-

Cecil Wright 1529 Cheshire Yeomanry and 230889 10th Btn. KSLI killed in action 9th November 1918..

Thanks Mark ... just two days to go ... really harsh on his family

Last edited by Mike B; 05-11-20 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-11-20, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I would expect each Victory medal would have a war Medal as you generally were entitled to both. Unfortunately being silver they were often sold for scrap and split from the Victory medal..

The Cheshire Yeomanry went abroad in Mar 16 so too late to qualify for the 1914-15 Star.

The IY badge may have been his as they did issue old stock for some years and he may have had it on enlistment in 1915 or before if he was a pre-war yeoman even after 1908.
Thanks Alan - Good point about the badge - possibly old stock as you say.
Old 05-11-20, 04:12 PM

Default medals

Hi Mike, you're welcome.Bit of a difficult one to research on ancestry as such a common surname, but I will see what I can do. it would be nice to try and tie the family members together who served ..

Cheers, Mark
Old 05-11-20, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1 View Post
Hi Mike, you're welcome.Bit of a difficult one to research on ancestry as such a common surname, but I will see what I can do. it would be nice to try and tie the family members together who served ..

Cheers, Mark
Mark - that would be a real achievement, but you are correct - Wright is a popular name in these parts. I know the family concerned will appreciate what you have done already. Unfortunately I do not know how the Wright's and Cunnington's are related. The guy who asked for help is Steve Cunnington, his dad (Dudley) is the runner / North Staffs veteran I think. The Wright's may be on Steve's mums side - but I am speculating and may be mistaken.

Thanks for looking ... whatever happens, it is good of you to take the time.

All the best
Mike
Old 05-11-20, 06:22 PM

Default medals

Hi Mike, can you direct me to the right site for the Chistleton war stories you mentioned - that might give me a lead...

Cheers, Mark
Old 05-11-20, 06:36 PM

Default medals

Hi Mike,

found them - on 1911 census(easiest to look for is Noel Henry Wright)and it brings up the family. Lot of tradesmen in the family - joiners and bricklayers. Someone has done a family tree for Noel and that brings up all the available info on the family.Can not find a link or reference to Cunnington.

The 5 guys who seem to have done the military service are :-

Cecil, Hylton, Noel Henry(RAF number 406706),Marshall and Harold.

Mark
Old 05-11-20, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Hi Mike,

found them - on 1911 census(easiest to look for is Noel Henry Wright)and it brings up the family. Lot of tradesmen in the family - joiners and bricklayers. Someone has done a family tree for Noel and that brings up all the available info on the family.Can not find a link or reference to Cunnington.

The 5 guys who seem to have done the military service are :-

Cecil, Hylton, Noel Henry(RAF number 406706),Marshall and Harold.

Mark

Spot on Mark - you got a bullseye:
The names definitely tie up. Some are quoted in the attachment I first posted - taken from the 'Christleton Great War Stories' booklet. It says - 1911 Survey: Frederick 50 - joiner (born in Chester) so it must be his Special Constabulary medal. Wife Frances 47. they had 10 Children, of whom 10 were living. Living at home were: Cecil 20, Harold 23 (bricklayer), Noel Henry 18 (joiner), Frances (dressmaker at Co-op stores), Hylton 14, Amy 12, Evelyn 10 (who married Brian Hickey, the rectors son in 1927)

Cecil - Cheshire Yeo & KSLI you have provided full details of - fantastic!
Harold - RGA
Marshall - RE
Noel Henry - RFC / RAF - good to add his number - 406706 - thank you!
Hylton - RAF (possibly 26539).

All ties up - you have found the right (Wright) family

Does the family tree you found for Noel bring up anything else of interest please?

Sincere thanks
Mike
Old 05-11-20, 09:18 PM

Default medals

Hi Mike, nothing of great interest that I can see - mostly birth registers, census details, dates of deaths etc, but strangely only Cecil's mentions any military service.
I only have limited access on ancestry, but could provide you with a pic of Cecil's medal index card if you wish.

Mark
Old 06-11-20, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Hi Mike, nothing of great interest that I can see - mostly birth registers, census details, dates of deaths etc, but strangely only Cecil's mentions any military service.
I only have limited access on ancestry, but could provide you with a pic of Cecil's medal index card if you wish.

Mark
Many thanks Mark - so long as you do not have to go to any trouble, that would be much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time.
Mike
Old 06-11-20, 09:44 AM

Default medals

Cecils medal index card showing he was eligable for victory and british war medal...

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wright.jpg (53.9 KB, 14 views)