British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Classifieds: Sales and Wanted

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-02-21, 11:12 AM

Default WANTED - M&F Cap Badge - Brass Band

Hi all, I'm trying to track down a cap badge that would have belonged to the Brass band I am a current member of that was formed in the 1930's. Hoping someone here might be able to help me out!

Originally called the Munn and Felton band when it was formed in Kettering in 1933 I have old photos of the band wearing caps with badges of the bands logo with M&F in the middle of them. I'm trying to locate one for my own collection of the bands history/memorabilia but it's proving very hard to track one down!

As it's not for a Military outfit rather a civilian Brass band I can't imagine they were mass produced and also because it's not tied to a military group someone coming upon one might not know what M&F actually means. The bands logo is also very similar to quite a few other cap badges so quite easy to mistake them for one another.

I've attached the only 'recent' photo I've been able to find online which is from a Worthpoint listing of an old ebay sale. Also a close up of a photo I have of a band member with the cap badge visible, notice also the M&F on the shoulder and buttons if you can make that out.

Any help and information will be greatly received!

James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gilt-cap-badge_360_2453ab548d86a3b4cd664f325b90f6a3.jpg (25.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Cap Photo.jpg (57.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 27-02-21, 12:16 PM

It looks to me like the old musician badge with the lyre replaced with M&F . So ,it could well be a made up item rather than one that's produced like that.
Old 27-02-21, 07:01 PM

Yes I think undoubtedly the bandsman/ musician badges was the inspiration behind this. The band made that their logo which is still in use with the band that exists today under a different name. (GUS band)

I'm sure these would have been made specially for all the players in the band, the band was very successful and well supported financially in it's early days so likely they would have been made specially rather than just 'made up' as you say if I follow you correctly. The Munn and Felton name carried from 1933-1964 and I have photos of players in the 30's, 40's and 50's all with the gilt M&F badges in their caps.

Either way I'm just trying to locate if any still exist today perhaps hidden in someone's collection not knowing what it is..?

Tags
brass band, felton, munn