British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21-10-20, 06:31 PM
Jack8 Jack8 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 608
Default Does this wing have any Royal Flying Corps connection

Can anyone help to identify this wing please and is there a remote possibility that the early Naval arm of the Royal Flying Corps had their own wing before the RNAS hence the red crown?

Screenshot_20201012-163338_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201012-163350_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201012-164230_Gallery.jpg

Thanks,
Jack.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22-10-20, 09:16 PM
Pembird Pembird is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 408
Default Similar wing

As a matter of interest Bob Simms militaria has a wing in similar colours with red crown 54620, again a strange wing with anchor going through it attributed to possible yacht club, just a coincidence but two very unusual wings sharing similar attributes.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23-10-20, 09:59 PM
Jack8 Jack8 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembird View Post
As a matter of interest Bob Simms militaria has a wing in similar colours with red crown 54620, again a strange wing with anchor going through it attributed to possible yacht club, just a coincidence but two very unusual wings sharing similar attributes.
Thank you for your interest and the item number of the Bob Simms wing. I did take a look at that wing, it is a strange one with the letters SC which Bob Simms describes as RAF sailing club. It also has the laurel wreath which is absent on mine, which I thought it should have if were anything to do with the Royal Flying Corps.

Can anyone answer the question if the RFC had a specific wing for the early Naval arm c1912/13?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23-10-20, 10:35 PM
dragon166's Avatar
dragon166 dragon166 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 617
Default

The Navy air arm didn't have any indications of flying until 1914/1915, when the arm eagle was introduced. They didn't get a pilot badge until circa 1925. Your badge is nothing like any of the authorised badges for any of the services. It is almost certainly a private flying club or suchlike; Royal Flying Club, Reading Flying Club, Reigate Flying Club or something similar.
Dave
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24-10-20, 12:50 AM
Jack8 Jack8 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon166 View Post
The Navy air arm didn't have any indications of flying until 1914/1915, when the arm eagle was introduced. They didn't get a pilot badge until circa 1925. Your badge is nothing like any of the authorised badges for any of the services. It is almost certainly a private flying club or suchlike; Royal Flying Club, Reading Flying Club, Reigate Flying Club or something similar.
Dave
Thanks Dave, I did post a thread a few days ago in the mystery section under the heading of a possible flying club badge without any success. I was led up the garden path with the red kings crown.

Will continue the flying club search.
Jack.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24-10-20, 06:39 AM
matti467's Avatar
matti467 matti467 is offline
Mr. Jackanory
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Leicestershire
Posts: 1,806
Default

Having read and followed this thread I may suggest Redhill Flying Club as a line of enquiry. There has been a civilian airfield there for decades. My uncle was a helicopter instructor there for Bristows in the mid 1970s
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24-10-20, 06:00 PM
Jack8 Jack8 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti467 View Post
Having read and followed this thread I may suggest Redhill Flying Club as a line of enquiry. There has been a civilian airfield there for decades. My uncle was a helicopter instructor there for Bristows in the mid 1970s
Thanks, I've now got their contact details from the internet, so I'll send them an email like I did with the Rural Flying Club.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:30 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.