British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-09-11, 09:34 PM

Good Evening Wilf & Keith,

Both badges shown, with and without slider, are from aFirmin die. I have in my collection examples of each. One of them, as Wilf's, has been bronzed and came to me along with an embroidered beret badge from Capt. Joe Hartigan MC.. Some of the bronzing is part worn away to reveal the officers bi-metal pattern badge. I also have a couple of these which, and I agree with Keith's comments that they are impossible to polish to any degree of shine. This makes me wonder if they were produced to be bronzed and therefore would not require polishing? Just a thought?. Bi-metal lance pennons are wholly officers only.

Good Evening Old Smelly, Lee, if I may?,

I have seen officers head dress badges with lugs both east - west and north - south. The lugs on the Firmin ones that I have are east - west with the lugs placed one behind each lance pennon. There are three patterns of 27th Lancer officers embroidered head dress badges. None are wholly of bullion but a mixture of bullion and coloured silks. One is on khaki material for wear on the khaki side cap. The other two are on red for wear on the regimental pattern side cap and the other for wear on the beret. The elephant on the beret badge has ears that stick out quite a way whereas the badge worn on the coloured side cap has ears that are hardly visible. There was a suggestion that an embroidered badge existed on dark blue material but in all the time that I have spent researching the regiment I've failed to find any evidence for this at all. Though I would add that I always retain an open mind, for tomorrow one may turn up!!.

All good wishes,

Peter
Old 06-09-11, 05:34 PM

Thanks Peter. The beret I have has not been 'holed' for a metal badge, hence the question about bullion/embroidered badges. There is a feint outline where a badge has been stitched on, looks oval/egg shaped and there are traces of red stitching so fits the info you posted. All I Have to do now is find one!
Lee
Old 06-09-11, 08:27 PM

Good Evening Lee,

I must say that I have not seen first hand or in photographs, nor have any record of, a 27th Lancers officers embroidered beret badge on an oval shaped backing. The backings to all three badges that I've mentioned are of a shape which follows the outline of the badge with a c5mm margin. May I ask did the beret come to you with the former owners name?. Pictures of these badges and photographs of the badges being worn can be seen on pages 145 & 152 of my book "For Hostilities Only".

All good wishes,

Peter
Old 06-09-11, 08:45 PM

Thankyou for that Peter, good to hear
Wilf
Old 07-09-11, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter seaman View Post
Good Evening Lee,

I must say that I have not seen first hand or in photographs, nor have any record of, a 27th Lancers officers embroidered beret badge on an oval shaped backing. The backings to all three badges that I've mentioned are of a shape which follows the outline of the badge with a c5mm margin. May I ask did the beret come to you with the former owners name?. Pictures of these badges and photographs of the badges being worn can be seen on pages 145 & 152 of my book "For Hostilities Only".

All good wishes,

Peter
Hi Peter
I bought the beret and a KD jacket some time ago, they appear to be WW2 and are named to T J C Washington who served with 27L in Italy, of course, the items could have been worn post war as well in another unit.
Lee
Old 07-09-11, 05:54 PM

Good Afternoon Lee,

Thank you for the added beret owner information. I knew T(TIM),J.C. Washington MC very well, met him several times and sadly attended his funeral. He did serve with the 27th Lancers and after the regiment disbanded in Austria he went to the 12th Lancers and remained with them until retiring with the rank of Colonel. I have a photograph of him with his 27L Troop but he is wearing his SD cap and not a beret.

Unfortunately I can only repeat what I said earlier - that I have no evidence at all of any 27th Lancer officer wearing an oval backing to their beret badge. However, should any such information come to light I will let you know.

All good wishes,

Peter

Last edited by peter seaman; 07-09-11 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake, now corrected.
Old 08-09-11, 07:03 PM

Default 27th lancers

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot View Post
Cheers Keith, the funny thing about this one is that it all appears to be made of silver !
Wilf.
Hello all ,
Here's a few of my 27th Lancers badges,which fall into the catagories already mentioned in this thread.
The lugged version is identical to wilf's,and is a gilded silver one,which I've had doubts about.The 2nd is an overlaid wm pennon example,which again I've always had doubts about.The Gm pennon Firmin example though is one I've always thought to be original.
Cheers.
Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27 l sp gilt 1.JPG (84.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 27 l sp gilt 2.JPG (81.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 27 lrs wm penns 1.JPG (76.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 27lrs wm penns 2.JPG (74.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 27 l gm pens 1.JPG (38.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 27 lrs gm pens 2.JPG (37.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 08-09-11, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadeagle View Post
Hello all ,
Here's a few of my 27th Lancers badges,which fall into the catagories already mentioned in this thread.
The lugged version is identical to wilf's,and is a gilded silver one,which I've had doubts about.The 2nd is an overlaid wm pennon example,which again I've always had doubts about.The Gm pennon Firmin example though is one I've always thought to be original.
Cheers.
Alan
Hi Alan,
Your second example with the overlaid pennons is identical to one I have but mine has the small Gaunt stamp.
Keith
Old 08-09-11, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Hi Alan,
Your second example with the overlaid pennons is identical to one I have but mine has the small Gaunt stamp.
Keith
Hiya Keith,
Mine doesn't have any manufacturers marks,hence my reticence in claiming it to be one maker or an other,and because this badge has been faked in so many forms.
Cheers.
Alan

Last edited by spreadeagle; 09-09-11 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-09-11, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadeagle View Post
Hiya Keith,
Mine doesn't have any manufacturers marks,hence my reticence in claiming it to be one maker or an other,and because this badge has been faked in so many forms.
Cheers.
Alan
Hi Alan,

Here's mine, front and rear. The overlays are clumsy and very proud and seem to have been added as an adaption. I suppose it could be the ex-property of an officer trying to get a bi-metal one on the cheap?

I do have my doubts though, the shank shape is unlike any other WW2 cavalry badge I have or I have seen made by Gaunt.

Keith.
Old 09-09-11, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Hi Alan,

Here's mine, front and rear. The overlays are clumsy and very proud and seem to have been added as an adaption. I suppose it could be the ex-property of an officer trying to get a bi-metal one on the cheap?

I do have my doubts though, the shank shape is unlike any other WW2 cavalry badge I have or I have seen made by Gaunt.

Keith.
Hiya Keith,
if you look at the shank on my BIM example,they are identical apart from the manufacturers name.My badge also has the clumsy and unattractive WM overlays,so it looks as if they came from the same batch. I think this one may be a candidate for the dubious box!
Cheers.
Alan
Old 08-10-11, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter seaman View Post
Thank you for the added beret owner information. I knew T(TIM),J.C. Washington MC very well, met him several times and sadly attended his funeral. He did serve with the 27th Lancers and after the regiment disbanded in Austria he went to the 12th Lancers and remained with them until retiring with the rank of Colonel. I have a photograph of him with his 27L Troop but he is wearing his SD cap and not a beret.

Unfortunately I can only repeat what I said earlier - that I have no evidence at all of any 27th Lancer officer wearing an oval backing to their beret badge. However, should any such information come to light I will let you know.

All good wishes,

Peter
Sorry to resurect this older thread but was reminded by the pics on this thread http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...425#post136425

I have had another look at my beret and I now think the outline is hexagonal like the one in the pic on the other thread so maybe it did have a bullion 27L on it originally....I'll keep looking
Thanks for the info Peter
Lee

Last edited by Old Smelly; 08-10-11 at 12:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 16-07-12, 10:32 AM

Default 27th Lancers opinions please

Hi all I received this in todays post it has no braising hole and no strengtheners but it seems to have age and the size is correct so opinions please.Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCB 005.jpg (70.4 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg CCB 004.jpg (62.4 KB, 111 views)
Old 16-07-12, 11:20 AM

While the badge does appear to have some age and the oxidisation looks good, I never like Lancers badges where the delicate Lancers are perfect and have not been bent or damaged in some way. Just my initial thoughts.

Cheers
Jim
Old 16-07-12, 05:38 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Hi all I received this in todays post it has no braising hole and no strengtheners but it seems to have age and the size is correct so opinions please.Roger
There is a good one in the cavalry project for you to compare the front. Don't have mine with me to check the back.
David

Tags
27th lancers, elephant