British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-04-11, 01:25 PM

Default KDG arm badge

Anyone have or have seen a 'chromed KDG arm badge' as now on ebay?

Last edited by sketchley kid; 23-04-11 at 01:31 PM.
Old 23-04-11, 01:57 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchley kid View Post
Anyone have or have seen a 'chromed KDG arm badge' as now on ebay?
Assuming you mean the interlaced KDG letters under a KC? have only seen the WM and tracksuit variety. I wasn't aware that there was one?
One of the ones I have is slightly 'shinier' than the others, but I am not sure its chromed.
David
Old 23-04-11, 02:50 PM

This is the one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kdg.jpg (29.7 KB, 3 views)

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Alan O; 27-05-11 at 10:56 AM.
Old 23-04-11, 03:36 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default A Chromed KDG Arm Badge

I certainly don't have one but it might be worth posting a msg to cardiffbloke and get his opinion. L&D do not mention anything about a chromed version, only a silvered one. Personally, I wouldn't have thought they would have been allowed to wear (a chromed) one, when the official version was WM. However....
Old 23-04-11, 07:38 PM

Default post subject

Voltigeur, That's the one, looks very dodgy to me.
absolutely pristine!!!
Must point out, not exactly 'new member'............joined yonks ago but had king sized PC cockup and never got back on again!
Old 24-04-11, 10:32 AM

Default post subject

Made £46-09!!!!! Looks in very good nick considering it could not have been worn since 1959 at the latest!
Old 04-05-11, 10:53 AM

Default Chromed?

Apologies for the delay in commenting but have just returned from holidays.

I have tracked down the buyer of this badge, he is an old QDG like me with an interest in KDG/Bays items. The jury is currently out. He is sending me the badge for my thoughts. As soon as i get a look i shall report!! lol
Old 20-05-11, 11:51 AM

Default Chromed Arm Badge

Ok having spoken to a number of KDG veterans and did a bit of digging around amongst the 'knowing' at Yate, the following seems to be 'the score' with the KDG chromed arm badge that went on sale on Ebay.
You will see i have attached pics front and rear of 2 chromed badges; the one on the right was given to me by an old KDG collector (complete with its original red backing) and has clearly seen some wear; the one on the left is the Ebay item.
It seems the Army became enamoured with chromed badges post WWII and many of them formed the prototype for the soon to be introduced Anodised badges. KDG CPLs' and above bought their arm badges from the PRI, the PRI bought a small batch of chromed arm badges on a trial and it seems that a number of individuals wore it for a short period of time in the late 1940's. It was however disliked intensely by subsequent RSMs' who banned it. The one on the right was worn by someone for some time because a lot of the high points and detail have been rubbed; so i guess he may well have been at ERE, but worn it was. the other is in pristine condition and looks a later model. Perhaps another attempt by the manufacturer to sell to the PRI. Both badges are chrome on Magzinc (Magnesium/Zinc alloy known as 'Carburettor Metal' ((thanks Andy)) with the later badge chromed all over; the earlier item on one side only.
By the 50's any chromed or anodised badges of any type were absolutely verboten in KDG and white metal (bulled) was the order of each day.
Hope that helps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000568.jpg (38.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg P1000573.jpg (34.9 KB, 23 views)

Tags
kdg, kings dragoon guards