British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Police

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-07-19, 08:10 AM

Default Melsetter Recce Patch

Hi all. I have recently acquired this patch but know nothing about it. From some tentative research the style seems similar to some Rhodesian Guard Force patches that I have seen on the net. Other than that I have drawn a blank, apart from when I have googled Melsetter, I get hits relating to a small BSAP post. Any opinions on this patch would be most welcome. Many thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Melsetter Recce 1.jpg (94.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Melsetter Recce 2.jpg (91.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 29-07-19, 08:52 AM

Some kind of morale patch? The old mushroom - "kept in the dark and fed on horse "manure" joke?
Old 29-07-19, 08:57 AM

Page 34 of this pdf, "The Outpost", a BSAP Association Newsletter explains about "The Mushroom", the logo as per the patch is shown on a coffee mug and it is mentioned that a patch was worn on camo uniform.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...nMNUFMJhGrjzlq

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 29-07-19 at 09:16 AM.
Old 29-07-19, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Some kind of morale patch? The old mushroom - "kept in the dark and fed on horse "manure" joke?
That was my first thought when I saw the mushroom Leigh. I think I have seen a similar phrase on a USMC patch or something.
Old 29-07-19, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Page 34 of this pdf, "The Outpost", a BSAP Association Newsletter explains about "The Mushroom", the logo as per the patch is shown on a coffee mug and it is mentioned that a patch was worn on camo uniform.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...nMNUFMJhGrjzlq
Oh wow. Well that pretty much sums it up. Thank you ever so much for finding that for me. Now I just need to find out if its real. I didn't realise such a small number would have worn this (unless its talking about another patch).
Old 29-07-19, 10:16 AM

I first came across the mushroom KITD/FOHS patches when they were mentioned in a book about the Son Tay PW rescue operation that I read back in the 70's.
Ever original I had T-shirts produced showing the logo addapted for use by my battalions Intelligence Cell.
Old 13-10-19, 12:38 PM

This is a Melsetter Police Reserve patch which was worn on Camo only. They would have been members of the local PATU unit for that area.
City dwellers on call up and being sent to the sticks for their 6 week stint would have worn a standard PATU patch. The one you are showing, to all intents and purposes appears to be genuine. I have about 80 different patches from various PR/SB/GC/Stock theft units as well as some Station designed patches.