British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-10-22, 12:52 AM

Default CEF 71st Battalion Insignia

I’ve been a collector of Imperial German and Freikorps awards for a number of years, but have recently shifted to Canadian and British badge and award collecting. However, about three years ago I purchased this 71st Battalion insignia pair at a local show here in Ontario as my great-great-grandfather initially enlisted in this unit before being shifted out in England. My ability to authenticate CEF badges is essentially non-existent moment. What is concerning me with the cap badge is the lack of any silvering to the numerals, and what appears to be cast marks throughout. As well, the collar tab is much more gilded than any other example from the 71st that I can find online, has an unusual pin back, and has a Caron Bros. maker mark that I noticed appeared on some insignia deemed reproduction in some old threads I dug through on the forum. If anyone could provide any input on whether these appear to be authentic I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-10-22, 08:56 AM

Default 71st Bn CEF Cap & Collar Badges

The initial issue of the cap badges to this Bn did not have the white metal (OR) / silver (Offr) overlays on the numerals. The cap badge shown here is attributed to Caron Bros. Montreal, and I believe it to be original.

With regard to the collar, yours is well marked and so, notwithstanding the pin-and-catch attachment, I have no hesitation in saying this is also a genuine badge.

I hope that puts your mind at rest.
Old 11-10-22, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Agree with milcollectorblue.The badges are both good. A note, the silver/white metal badges are often attributed to officers' issue, but were worn by all ranks.
Old 11-10-22, 12:55 PM

Thank you both. This is a steep learning curve for me, and given my family connection to this battalion one or both being reproductions would have been a serious gut-punch.