British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-11-20, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
My guess would be it's not referring to the NZ badge, as I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, 1914 would be too early for the NZ transports to have sailed??
The first two transports , Moeraki and Maunganui , departed on 15th August 1914. A further convoy of ten vessels (including Maunganui on second trip) departed on 16 October 1914.

The debate mentioning "those serving in merchant vessels" was in March 1915 , but isn't clear whether this is about what were termed "home boats" (those involved in import/export from Britain) or Commonwealth vessels.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 28-11-20, 02:19 PM

OK, thanks Mike, I should have know that actually, my Grandfather served on the Marama from 1915 - 1918, which was a hospital ship.

Cheers, Tim
Old 28-11-20, 02:39 PM

Hi Tim ,

This is all a 'learning experience' for me and most of the information I got from a couple of NZ sites.

Merchant marine

Troopships

Old 29-11-20, 09:32 AM

Hi Chipper and Mike

Great to follow this one! Sadly no, Bay is no more and my guess is that most of his "products" are now in junk shops, dealers or on eBay...

Just picking up this thread, I found (but now can't find again....sigh) a newspaper mention of the NZ Govt making "concessions to seamen" (ohhhh...errrrr missus!) about granting them a badge to wear.

The date is/was 1916 and there is also a file held at National Archives in Wellington that has the mention of "war service badges". The date range is 1916-1950 so would I be wrong in suggesting that this date of 1916 is the date for the introduction of the HMNZ Transports badge?

That would fit nicely into the introduction of conscription (at which time a badge would be a pretty useful thing to have...) and also allow time for a sample 1914 Admiralty badge/design to wend its way back to NZ.

When I (eventually!) find that mention I'll post a snip of it, promise, and maybe get someone to see what that file contains. I have a contact who might oblige!
Old 29-11-20, 09:51 AM

Yay! From the New Zealand Times, 15 April, 1916. The arm badges (or "armlets") referred to were much despised and many refused to wear them, calling them a "cheap gesture".

Of special displeasure would have been the Returned Soldier's red armlet with a yellow "G /crown/ R" on it as the colour was described in various sources as "Turkey red".....
Attached Images
File Type: png seamenbadges.PNG (113.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 29-11-20, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
The date is/was 1916 and there is also a file held at National Archives in Wellington that has the mention of "war service badges". The date range is 1916-1950 so would I be wrong in suggesting that this date of 1916 is the date for the introduction of the HMNZ Transports badge?
Initially when conscription was introduced deck officers, engineers, seamen , cooks and stewards in New Zealand had to apply for individual exemptions (unlike the British ) but this was changed after pressure from the unions.

"Men not in uniform sometimes felt self-conscious; in Britain, the officers’ union, the Merchant Service Guild, demanded badges for its members to denote their service."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post

The arm badges (or "armlets") referred to were much despised and many refused to wear them, calling them a "cheap gesture".
I also recently read (will try and find it again) that the badges were unpopular as they had to be applied for which many did not bother to do. (Possible reason so few are around ?).

Last edited by mike_vee; 29-11-20 at 12:49 PM.
Old 29-11-20, 12:48 PM

Question Timeline

As more information is uncovered it gives a basic timeline regarding the various badges which "may" make things a bit clearer. This is more about dates rather than the two different badges and the style/crown anomalies .

26th December 1914

Admiralty memo giving a badge the title "Admiralty War Service Badge".

This is assumed to be the enamel OWS 1914 badge , it was issued to shipyard workers “whose services were indispensable for the rapid completion of HM Ships and Armaments”.

Monday 15 March 1915

Parliamentary question about granting War service badges to those who are engaged in our merchant ships.

Note : "similar to the War service badges which are now granted by the Admiralty to those serving in merchant vessels which they have chartered or requisitioned".

This seems to imply that there was already a separate War service badge for those " serving in merchant vessels " as opposed to "shipyard workers". (could this be the 'silver' Admiralty Badge ?)

15 April, 1916

From the article in post #115 and the information I found it appears that the HMNZ Transports badge was introduced when the Military Service Act (conscription) came into force on 2 March 1916.

Food for thought !

Old 29-11-20, 09:34 PM

Hi Mike and others

Great that we might be finally able to piece together some of this! There is still that file that might provide more information so I'll chase this along.

Shame that they are not just "down the road" and I could wander in....
Old 29-11-20, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Initially when conscription was introduced deck officers, engineers, seamen , cooks and stewards in New Zealand had to apply for individual exemptions (unlike the British ) but this was changed after pressure from the unions.

"Men not in uniform sometimes felt self-conscious; in Britain, the officers’ union, the Merchant Service Guild, demanded badges for its members to denote their service."

I also recently read (will try and find it again) that the badges were unpopular as they had to be applied for which many did not bother to do. (Possible reason so few are around ?).

Regarding the "armlets", the word "unpopular" is a nice way of putting it! They were very much so. The advent of the Silver War Badge and the Returned Soldier's Association badge seems to have been much more acceptable.

The four basic types (of which I have two) of armlet were:

1) Red with gold crown, Returned Soldier
2) Drabjean (khaki?) with red crown, men enlisted waiting to be called up
3) French-grey with green crown, men who have offered themselves for active service but been rejected
4) Light-blue with white crown men engaged in an exempted industry

With each of these armlets (or "badges" as they were also called) went a small postcard sized document similar to the SWB cert.

The certs have hardly survived at all and I finally traded for one after a long time actively seeking one!
Old 12-12-20, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Found this interesting little titbit from a letter in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph on 15 July 1915.

“Some months ago my employers presented me with an official war service badge to wear in the lapel of my coat. I was informed that the badge, which is of brass with a crown, surrounded by “On War Service 1914” in blue enamel, was provided by the government for men of military age engaged in munition and kindred trades. (Incidentally, I was made to deposit 2s. 6d. with my employers, which is to be returned when I return the badge at the conclusion of my service.)"
Came across the site I got this info from and found the second part of this letter interesting :

"Judge of my surprise when I saw the self-same badges advertised for sale by a Birmingham firm of button makers. I have also seen colorable (sic) imitations".

So , even in the early days when these badges were being officially issued there were copies/imitations being sold.

Perhaps the badges with 'errors' are actually 105 year old fakes !

Old 13-12-20, 06:52 AM

Hi Mike

It rather gives one a whole new perspective on how "valuable" these badges were perceived to be at the time.

I very much doubt that we would today see the same enthusiasm for such visible displays of patriotism, although clearly the art of the forger was still alive!
Old 14-12-20, 10:38 AM

Question Opinions

Another two examples that were recently offered on-line , it definitely seems that there are more of the 'tens' around .

Is it that they were produced in greater numbers than the 'nines' or are they badly made 'imitations' either produced at the time or later fakes made by dealers ?

I still have my doubts that two different manufacturers would make the same 'error' on different badges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ad Dec F.jpg (37.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg NZ Tran Dec F.jpg (58.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by mike_vee; 14-12-20 at 12:28 PM.
Old 15-12-20, 12:00 PM

Spotted this example of a 1914 enamelled badge that shows they were definitely reused/reissued with new number stamped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reissued.jpg (64.5 KB, 8 views)

Old 16-12-20, 09:36 AM

Default Gaunt 1915 Enamelled OWS

I have always been under the impression that there were two different Gaunt makers marks to be found on the 1915 enamelled OWS badges.

1. Small J.R.GAUNT LONDON (two lines) 'raised' on the crown.

2. Larger J.R.GAUNT & SON.LTD LONDON (two lines) 'raised' and curved around top of badge.

But I have now seen a third Gaunt makers mark :

3. J.R.GAUNT LONDON (single line) bottom of badge , at first I thought this was stamped/impressed but second photo clearly shows it is 'raised'.

Anyone else seen this mark on enamelled or plain OWS badges ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1915 Gaunt MM 1.jpg (43.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 1915 Gaunt MM 2.jpg (37.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 1915 Gaunt MM 3.jpg (67.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 1915 Gaunt MM.jpg (36.4 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by mike_vee; 16-12-20 at 10:07 AM.
Old 16-12-20, 01:11 PM

Interesting Mike, I've not seen a 1914 erased one I don't think. I'm sure you know the 1915's were, still conjecture as to why. Thanks for showing it, I'll be looking out for that now.

Also on your Gaunt maker marked enamelled ones, I also have not ever seen the third one either, and I have looked at loads of these over the years. Another super interesting find!

Cheers, Tim

Quote:
Spotted this example of a 1914 enamelled badge that shows they were definitely reused/reissued with new number stamped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7843.jpg (117.4 KB, 4 views)