British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-10-20, 12:27 PM

Default Tank bits

Hi, as mentioned elsewhere I had a bit of a tank fest last Friday, so of course lots of queries. Firstly I obtained a collar badge to my sand cast SATC cap badge. Does any one have a date for these badges? Also with it came the exquisite sweethearts badge, I think it is gold, but the query is, the motto "ons is" is repeated on the other side as "we are" does this ever appear on a badge? And thirdly is it possible to date the Pretoria Reg. badge, this one is gold whereas my others are yellow around the shield, thanks in advance Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05948.jpg (46.9 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05949.jpg (32.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05951.jpg (55.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05953.jpg (39.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 13-10-20, 09:40 AM

Hi

Given your obvious interest in tank insignia, I'll try to remember to post a photo of a largish pin-back enamel and silverplate badge that I've had for some years.

Have to dig it out first!

Not being much with languages (struggle with English at times...) but is "ons" possibly "our" in Dutch? We have a place near here called "Ons Dorp" which is, I think, Dutch for "Our Town". Three years of German not entirely wasted, but the German equivalent could be "Unser Dorf".

German/ Dutch/ Afrikaans speaking members please pitch in! I've NOT used Google!
Old 13-10-20, 09:43 AM

Doh...I just had a better look at your second pic and read your description. They've helpfully translated it, haven't they....
Old 13-10-20, 01:42 PM

Hi Dumdum, thanks for the comments and look forward to your photos, best wishes Mike
Old 13-10-20, 06:36 PM

Hi Mike

No worries. I think my curious mind has worked out where I've put it. just to prepare the ground, it looks very much like a metal version of the cloth black/ white tank that you see on formation signs.
Old 24-10-20, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnaught View Post
Hi, as mentioned elsewhere I had a bit of a tank fest last Friday, so of course lots of queries. Firstly I obtained a collar badge to my sand cast SATC cap badge. Does any one have a date for these badges? Also with it came the exquisite sweethearts badge, I think it is gold, but the query is, the motto "ons is" is repeated on the other side as "we are" does this ever appear on a badge? And thirdly is it possible to date the Pretoria Reg. badge, this one is gold whereas my others are yellow around the shield, thanks in advance Mike
Hi Mike
Your collection is growing nicely, well done. The Pretoria "badges" are referred to in SA as "Flashes". They are sometimes different as some appear to have been made in different batches. The ones made in the 70's and 80's are often different to the later versions. I am not a boffin on these at all, it is huge collecting area. There are even new ones being produced by the makers of the originals. When the parade uniform of tunics, smart pants etc was largely abolished in the 80's these "flashes" were converted into slip on pliable plastic versions that attached to your epaulets and these versions were commonly known as "Tupperware flashes".

Brian
Old 24-10-20, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi

Given your obvious interest in tank insignia, I'll try to remember to post a photo of a largish pin-back enamel and silverplate badge that I've had for some years.

Have to dig it out first!

Not being much with languages (struggle with English at times...) but is "ons" possibly "our" in Dutch? We have a place near here called "Ons Dorp" which is, I think, Dutch for "Our Town". Three years of German not entirely wasted, but the German equivalent could be "Unser Dorf".

German/ Dutch/ Afrikaans speaking members please pitch in! I've NOT used Google!
I would translate Ons Dorp in Our Village. Thus yes, in Dutch this is about possession.
The name is however a bit strange, because you would normally not call a place with a name like "Your Town", or "Their City".
In this case "Ons Dorp" is chosen because it is spcialy build for disabled people after a famous TV action that raised money from all over the country. Thus everybody here would see it as the village we raised all together.

But the SA ons is is indeed we are, in Dutch wij zijn. The ons here is not about possession.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages

Last edited by Wmr-RHB; 24-10-20 at 11:28 AM.
Old 24-10-20, 12:14 PM

Hi Brian, thanks for the information, still hoping to find out if the sweetheart badge was ever made as a full size badge, best wishes Mike
Old 24-10-20, 12:16 PM

Hi Henk, always good to hear from you, interesting background information, hope you are keeping well, best wishes Mike
Old 24-10-20, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Hi Brian, thanks for the information, still hoping to find out if the sweetheart badge was ever made as a full size badge, best wishes Mike
Hi Mike

I'm sure there were some, various sizes and in various materials, pop up from time to time. Admittedly not as often as they used to.

Brian
Old 24-10-20, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Hi Henk, always good to hear from you, interesting background information, hope you are keeping well, best wishes Mike
You are welcome. All is fine here, I hope the same at your side.
All the best,

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages