British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-07-17, 03:13 PM

I need an explanation please. He was commissioned in the RCHA 23 Fruary 1915 but, commission only signed only 22nd June 1918....????

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 04-07-17, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
I need an explanation please. He was commissioned in the RCHA 23 Fruary 1915 but, commission only signed only 22nd June 1918....????

Jo
Somebody forgot to request the commission script (or else the paperwork got lost). Nothing out of the ordinary and I can speak from personal experience that it was known to happen up until the 1980s (and probably till today). There is a significant gap been the date of "seniority from" and the date of the GG's signature on my script (but not the three year gap of this officer's). If the authority responsible for requesting the document could miss the requirement to do so in the relatively calm era of my commissioning (though the circumstances were slightly unusual), then imagine the record keeping nightmare of the war when thousands of "temporary gentlemen" were being plucked from the ranks.

The question should be: "Why is this officer's commissioning script in his personnel file and why wasn't it given to him?" This is not a document that would normally be in a service record - not even as a copy.

It should be noted that Captain Gimblett, was already an officer (a Lt. since 18 Aug 1912) when the war started. So, another question should be "why are they giving him another commission script".

Last edited by Blackadder1916; 04-07-17 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-07-17, 10:08 PM

Thank you.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 05-07-17, 01:22 AM

Hi

I agree that the last ribbon is likely a Canada Reverse LS&GC. Awarded to 150 Cdns between 1902-1909. I don't have that roll. Anyone? Ed?

He does not appear on anything that I have for rolls other than a

"Regt. Inst. Gimblet, Royal Canadian Artillery" on the 1897 Jubilee Medal Roll.

Different spelling, no initials given, and nothing on the Captain's chest suggest an 1897 Jubilee however.

Seems like he did a lot but I find little else at this time. Odd.

regards
Darrell
Old 05-07-17, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Hi

"Regt. Inst. Gimblet, Royal Canadian Artillery" on the 1897 Jubilee Medal Roll.

Different spelling, no initials given, and nothing on the Captain's chest suggest an 1897 Jubilee however.
Perhaps, and it is stretching it a bit, the ribbon that was suggested to be the M.C. is actually the ribbon of the Diamond Jubilee Medal. With a lot of squinting, one could convince himself that there were very thin colour stripes at the edges of the ribbon. Just as most immediately would think "MC" due to the order of wear of the ribbon, at one time - before the war (and probably not changed until new decorations/medals i.e. MC, MM were introduced) - the order of wear had been Jubilee/Coronation medals, DCM, Campaign medals and LS&GC.

Canada Gazette Sept 1912
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...uvf076e3817gr0
Old 04-08-19, 07:29 PM

W.H Gimblett would of been my great grand father.Here is a picture of his medals which are i now have.
The name and ranks engraved on the ring of the medals are as follows.(and what i think the names of the medals are.
for distinguished conduct in the field SERJT:MAJ W.Gimblett RL.CANADIAN ARTY
queens south africa -rhodesia-transvaal-orangefree state-relife of mafeking
SERJT Maj WH Gimblett R Canadian Arty
British War medal CAPTW.H.Gimblett
Victory Medal Capt W.H.Gimblett
Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee ???? Rin Ins W Gimblett R.C.A.
Long Service Medal Warrant Officer W.H. Gimblett
Also please see attached newspaper clipping from Kingston

Please also see attached photos of my grandfathers -fathers and my own medals
My grandfathers name was Robert Judson
his medals were as follows 1914-1915 star GNR.R.J. Gimblett
British War MedalCpl R.J. Gimblett
Victory Medal Cpl R.J. Gimblett
Volunteer Long Service Q.M.S. R.J.Gimblett

And my fathers are as follows
Order of ST.John
Defence Medal
Volunteer Service
war Medal

Lastly my medals are new and fairly explanitory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gg medals.jpg (87.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg grandfather.jpg (51.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg dads.jpg (49.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg mine.jpg (53.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg gramps1.jpg (126.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg gramps2.jpg (122.2 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by P.Gimblett; 07-08-19 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-08-19, 09:39 AM
MarkGD

P. many thanks for sharing your family's proud service, very jealous that you have them all in one place, worthy of a display. Regards Mark
Old 05-08-19, 07:26 PM

Nice to see!
Keith
Old 06-08-19, 12:10 AM

Looking up Gimblett's name in the Canadian Quarterly Militia Lists during the Great War shows that he had 17 years and 80 days in the ranks and was a Warrant Officer for 7 years and 114 days before being commissioned a Lieutenant (DO) in the RCA on August 15, 1912. His station prior to entering the CEF was in Kingston.

His entry has an (R) and an (E) after his name. The (R) indicates a 'Reward for Distinguished or Meritorious Services' and the (E) is for 'Seconded with Expeditionary Force.' There are no other decorations listed with his entry.

His CEF appointment papers indicate that he entered as an honorary Captain on January 25, 1915. He wrote that he had 27 years service with the PF RCA at the time. His papers were signed by Lt. Col. Panet, CO of the RCHA.

As an aside, he had tattoos on both his forearms. On the right were hands across the sea and crossed swords with a gun. On the left three figures. It does not indicate what the figures were.

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discov...dNumber=419665

Interestingly there were two William Henry Gimblett's in the CEF. The other was an enlisted man.

His Militia List entry does not show a middle name, but his CEF papers do.

HTH.

Cheers,
Dan.