British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-11-22, 01:12 PM

Default Civil Service Rifles

My wife's grandfather was a pre-war Territorial with the 15th London Regiment. Among his badges we have a shoulder "15 County of London" but the "T" which should be above it has broken or been removed.

Has anyone run across one of these badges without the T, or is it just a broken title he kept?

Thank you.
Old 14-11-22, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charverz View Post
My wife's grandfather was a pre-war Territorial with the 15th London Regiment. Among his badges we have a shoulder "15 County of London" but the "T" which should be above it has broken or been removed.

Has anyone run across one of these badges without the T, or is it just a broken title he kept?

Thank you.
There are London Regiment badges where the T was worn separately but these tend to be the 1-4th or the later WW1 era plain LONDON (Not COUNTY OF...) 'economy' designs. It's also certain the T on yours has been broken, often by catching on the rifle sling or deliberately removed. How clean if the break?

Just out of interest, is it whitemetal of brass/gilding metal?

Last edited by Keith Blakeman; 14-11-22 at 11:57 AM.
Old 14-11-22, 02:12 PM

Default Missing "T"

I have read that Territorial titles without the "T" were worn on greatcoats, also another theory is that they were removed when serving overseas alongside regular Regiments.

There certainly are a lot around with missing "T's" so there must be a reason apart from some that are obviously broken and the ones that have had the "T" carefully removed.

Rob
Old 14-11-22, 05:21 PM

My uncle who joined the Hertfordshire Regiment in 1936 gave me a few of his bits and pieces. Amongst these items were a couple of Herts titles which had had the T snapped off. He told me that when the battalion was mobilised for WW2 they were ordered to remove the T.

Hope this helps

Eric
Old 14-11-22, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwbroon View Post
My uncle who joined the Hertfordshire Regiment in 1936 gave me a few of his bits and pieces. Amongst these items were a couple of Herts titles which had had the T snapped off. He told me that when the battalion was mobilised for WW2 they were ordered to remove the T.

Hope this helps

Eric
My Grandfather who came from Hertford heath, joined in 1937. Where was your uncle from?

Andrew
Old 14-11-22, 07:50 PM

I knew him from the early 1950's and he lived in Ware at that point. Before that I don't know. I have memories of visiting the drill hall in Ware as a wee boy.
Old 14-11-22, 08:12 PM

They might have known each other as my Grandfather was a drummer. The band was based at Ware. He passed away in the 80's and I never knew that he served until after his death. There is a small picture of him the the book by J. D. Sainsbury.

I grew up in Ware. Are you a Wareite?
Old 14-11-22, 08:30 PM

Glasgow boy born and bred.

Your grandfather and my uncle most certainly knew each other, my uncle was Drum Major. Somewhere in the family photo albums there are a couple of pictures of him doing his thing. There are no group band photos that I recall. If you give me a couple of days I will root around and see what I can find.

My uncles father also served as Drum Major.

Small world.

Eric
Old 15-11-22, 03:48 PM

Small world indeed.

I look forward to seeing any pictures you have. Sadly the house that Grandmother was living in burnt to the ground new years eve 1939 and everything was lost. I only have a couple of pictures of my Grandfather in the War. Did your Uncle go to Palestine after the War?

Andrew
Old 15-11-22, 04:35 PM

Andrew,

PM sent.

Eric