British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-02-11, 11:43 AM
Mr. Jackanory

Default MGC OSD cap badge

I bought this years ago and cannot remember where or for how much. It is superb condition and may not have been used. There is a slight indentation to the end of the barrel left. This may just be a manufacturing fault. I have heard that it is possible to work out the mark of the weapon by the design. Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 046.jpg (25.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 045.jpg (27.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 19-02-11, 11:52 AM
Peter J

Matti,

Don't have the answer to this specifically, and I am certain members here will be along any moment to provide a full run-down of the variations of this badge, but I remember reading something on this recently on the Great War Forum.

If you search under (I think) 'Identity of guns on Machine Gun Corps cap badges', I am sure it is discussed therein. For some reason, I don't seem to be able to log on to the GWF at the moment.

Nice badge by the way.

Regards,

PJ
Old 19-02-11, 01:14 PM

The only three bladed ones I've seen with maker's marks are by Gaunt - but I doubt that's a hard and fast rule, there are plenty of unmarked 3 bladed ones about. Yes, I'd follow PJ's advice on looking up barrel etc types on the GWF.
Old 19-02-11, 01:28 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Thank you Peter and Julian. It is a nice, well struck badge.
Matti