British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-04-12, 06:02 PM

Default Unknown Red Cross badge

Hi,
I hope someone out there may be able to assist with identifying a red cross badge I have that I have had no luck with.

Badge is of gilted gilding metal with two looped lugs on reverse.
An enamelled red cross in centre surrounded by the Red cross motto "INTER ARMA CARITAS".

The badge has the appearance of a rank pip, but I cannot confirm whether it is. I have attached an image of a red cross rank pip for comparison.

Regards
Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red cross.jpg (35.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 11-04-12, 06:37 PM

Is this a rank pip for one of the Household/Guards regiments???

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 11-04-12, 06:40 PM

Hi Jerry,
Thanks for your speedy response. I doubt it is as the standard red cross motto is part of the badge, so therefore my shift towards red cross. The style of the lugs is as found on most british and/or commonwealth badges, so I would also steer away from continental red cross.

Steven
Old 12-04-12, 07:37 AM

Default Red Cross rank pips

Hi, Australian Red Cross workers were allowed to wear military uniform in case of capture by the Japanese near the front line. Whether the uniforms would have been bulletproof is another question considering that the Japanese shot doctors nurses and patients at the Singapore hospital.
"Accredited Organisations" in uniform included YMCA; Comforts Fund; Salvation Army; and Campaigners for Christ.
Most rank was indicated by narrow red braid stripes on the epaulette but the Red Cross, the most numerous, had their own pips and a whole set of badges that are reasonably common. My Red Cross epaulette actually has the stripe not the pip. The badges make an interesting group. The pips may have been worn in UK as well, maybe someone might be able to answer this.
Old 12-04-12, 03:18 PM

Hi,
The lower rank star is British Red Cross Society, but was also used in South Africa (and probably most red cross societies associated with the BRCS).

From my research it appears the pips worn in South Africa were only worn by National officers (ie. Chief Commandant wore 3 pips). All regional and branch officers wore stripes on there shoulder boards.
Somewhere post WWII the national officers pips were replaced with gold braid stripes (Chief commandant having 4 stripes, etc).

Steven
Old 12-04-12, 10:55 PM

They are not rank pips for the Household Cavalry Regiment as they are a different shape and are more elongated.
David